#1 pablot

pablot

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:13 PM

This is a post I made on my site but I think it will be of better use here so I'll duplicate it here.

How does the Ring of Light work?

Well, MS has made sure to make it as complicated as possible. To save I/O:s on their mcu they have chosen to use a pwm scheme that brings down the pin count from eight to five I/O:s. If you want to understand how this works you should first read up on pwm here.

We'll start by examining the schematic:
IPB Image

This shows how the bi-color LEDs of the ring of light (from now on ROL) is connected to the mcu (MS-VS55) and also how the center power led is connected.

The mcu outputs a 50Hz pwm that is then split up in two, an exact copy (PWM_LED1) and an inverted copy (PWM_LED2). This is the pwm that drives the led, it is its power source. PWM_LED1 drives D1 and D2 and PWM_LED2 drives D3 and D4. This pwm is ALLWAYS on, even when the XBOX 360 is in standby! The LEDs are then controlled (turned on/off) by controlling the ground.

Now comes the complicated part, they only use four inputs to control eight LEDs. The green and red leds are controlled in the exact same way so I'm just going to do this example on the green LEDs. So, the cathode (negative side) of D1 and D3, and D2 and D4 are connected together. The thing is these pairs (D1 and D3, D2 and D4) have the anode (positive side) connected to different pwms. One is connected to PWM1 and the other one is connected to PWM2. This way they will never get power supplied to them at the same time. So you can say that each LED gets a small time slot to control it's ground.

And a small picture of which pad is which since there has been some confusion about that:
IPB Image

I can add more info and some examples if needed, just send me an e-mail or a PM if you think it's unclear!

Edited by SICKdimension, 03 July 2006 - 06:19 AM.

#2 GSX

GSX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:24 PM

I think you forgot the pwm links laugh.gif I kinda want to read this.

#3 Arjun

Arjun

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:19 PM

Bookmarked.

#4 pablot

pablot

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:24 AM

QUOTE(G0t M4xx 21 @ Jul 3 2006, 01:33 AM) View Post

uhhh, on that pic of the ROL that shows which points are +, - (green) and - (red), I believe you have the + and - (red) backwards, unless mine are all reversed for some reason.

Just thought I'd let you know, great explanation of the PWM though

-Tim

damnit! I thought I checked it carefully. I'll fix it right now. Thanks for pointing it out!

Edit: Allright, as usuall I was fooled by my trace setup where the side with the leds is mirrored so that it will match up to the other side (vias and such). The picture is now fixed (I hope) and the links are fixed too. The links are just what I found on a quick google search so if anyone has any better just tell me and I'll add them!

/pablot

Edited by pablot, 03 July 2006 - 05:34 AM.

#5 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:29 AM

Added to Extras section in tutorials.

Edited by xboxexpert, 03 July 2006 - 05:29 AM.

#6 snow rider221

snow rider221

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:45 PM

I was wondering something the other day about this...

when the 360 starts up, there is the pattern of the lights that it goes through, and than a little fade, and than it continues to serve its purpose showing which controllers are playing.

what part of the ROL (or maybe its something not on the ROL) is it that tells the 360 to use this pattern.

Would it be possible to reflash thta to make a different pattern / fade?? sorry if this is a dumb question, i haven't looked into this really at all yet.

#7 NarCiuss

NarCiuss

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Xbox 360, My Girl.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE(snow rider221 @ Jul 30 2006, 03:52 PM) View Post

I was wondering something the other day about this...
when the 360 starts up, there is the pattern of the lights that it goes through, and than a little fade, and than it continues to serve its purpose showing which controllers are playing.
what part of the ROL (or maybe its something not on the ROL) is it that tells the 360 to use this pattern.

Would it be possible to reflash thta to make a different pattern / fade?? sorry if this is a dumb question, i haven't looked into this really at all yet.

I was thinking the same thing. It would be cool to change it.

#8 BatWick

BatWick

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Computing, Running, LAN Parties, Gaming.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:12 AM

I don't suppose you know on the Red Ring of Death daughterboard, which two points to solder to to add an extra power switch do you?

The power button seems to have four connectors, and it isn't obvious which are the ones needed to turn it on...

#9 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,790 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:36 AM

Momentarily shorting any of these points to Ground will duplicate the Power button.

IPB Image

#10 BatWick

BatWick

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Computing, Running, LAN Parties, Gaming.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:38 AM

QUOTE(RDC @ Apr 19 2008, 04:12 AM) View Post

Momentarily shorting any of these points to Ground will duplicate the Power button.

I love you :-)

You have just saved me from probably breaking my 360! I was goign to start poking aroud and see what I found.

Anthony

Edited by RDC, 19 April 2008 - 03:53 AM.

#11 xbrxlunch

xbrxlunch

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE(RDC @ Apr 18 2008, 10:36 PM) View Post

IPB Image

I want to wire a switch to my board so I can move my power switch. Should I just wire one wire onto here and then find a ground point on the board? Or will that mess up. Help Please

#12 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,790 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:37 AM

You wire one side of your new power button to any of those spots, then the other side of it to any Ground spot, just like it was explained already. wink.gif

#13 xbrxlunch

xbrxlunch

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:12 AM

Ok thank you. I was just making sure.

#14 B18A1

B18A1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:02 AM

Just wondering if anyone has changed these LEDs before. I was thinking it would be cool to switch them so it always lights up red, but when there is an error it would light up green or blue or something. I am in the planning stages of my second system mod (first one was adding a fan header and 70mm case fan) and I'd like to change these LEDs. This topic has some pretty useful information that makes me think it would be pretty easy, but I'm pretty new to this kind of modification. Looking for any insight you guys can offer. Thanks a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users