#1 mpatton

mpatton

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 02 July 2006 - 12:29 AM

Well, some people might remember my project last summer to make a mini xbox similar to those others have made around here. Unfortunately, I didn't give myself enough time to really finish it, and I wasn't too happy with how it turned out.

IPB Image

It worked great for a year, sitting under a bed. Now that I've got some more free time, though, I'm going back to the drawing board and starting from scratch. Trashing the case, reworking the internals.

One of the things I didn't like about the mini was the missing dvd drive. It was kind of unsightly to be plugging it in the back whenever I wanted to watch a movie. This time around, I'm putting it back...which is usually a problem for a mini. The solution? Mini-fy the dvd drive.

First thing to do was create a new hinge, then chop down the back. The rivets in there are just temporary rods to go through the drilled holes, they work well enough for me to see this works.

IPB Image

Next, the dvd tray was cut down to size, and the back section was put so it would still function exactly the same. (Sorry for the muddy picture)

IPB Image

The dvd drive assembled back together, mostly.

IPB Image

Wouldn't be complete without the classic Halo2 shot. This also shows it sitting in the old dvd tray. You can see that the drive was cut down over 1.5"

IPB Image

The drive open. It seems to still work the same, I would be surprised if it didn't work under power.

IPB Image

Finally, a bit of a teaser of what's to come. The case will be built from scratch. Plexi and stainless, mmm.

IPB Image

#2 MickRaider

MickRaider

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts
  • Interests:I have no interests
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 July 2006 - 01:33 AM

Wow this is really impressive stuff.

#3 destroysbc

destroysbc

X-S Member

• Last Chance
  • Pip
  • 91 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 02 July 2006 - 01:38 AM

yah it is

its a mans dream now grab a few cold ones and get to doing those plans tongue.gif

ive never seen someone mod a dvd drive like before me likes

#4 theblujuggalo

theblujuggalo

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Technology mainly but mostly girls
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 July 2006 - 01:51 AM

man if XS had a rep system i would soo rep you!
love.gif love.gif love.gif love.gif love.gif love.gif love.gif love.gif

#5 MickRaider

MickRaider

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts
  • Interests:I have no interests
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 July 2006 - 01:53 AM

QUOTE(theblujuggalo @ Jul 1 2006, 06:58 PM) View Post

man if XS had a rep system i would soo rep you!
love.gif love.gif love.gif love.gif love.gif love.gif love.gif love.gif
Well maybe if they ever upgrade their board style, and fix the search function we could get it. Cause that would actually be pretty useful, but of course rep is just like post counts, they're only good for making your e-penis bigger.

#6 DoctorWho1945

DoctorWho1945

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 02:28 AM

wow that is good

#7 titaniumtwix

titaniumtwix

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 02 July 2006 - 02:58 AM

why not sell the case i bet someone would buy it

#8 mpatton

mpatton

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 03:34 AM

Thanks for the responses, all! Always nice to get positive feedback smile.gif

In case anyone was interested in how the pieces will lay out, here's the basic idea, sitting on top of the old lid. As you can see, there's plenty of room even at the old size, more than this picture shows. This setup is actually smaller from front to back than the old case, as the controller ports will be set under the drives.

IPB Image

Vacation for a week, so no updates for a while. I'll get more pictures up as soon as I make progress, though!

#9 FreakSho

FreakSho

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 02 July 2006 - 06:33 AM

thats awesome man, im loving the case, if u ever wanna get rid of it sell it to me lol tongue.gif

#10 2con

2con

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 02 July 2006 - 07:01 AM

Wow thats intense. Never seen anyone mod a DVD father then cutting it down to size to make the DVD spinable. (you know what i mean)

Good job.

#11 Dracc

Dracc

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:35 AM

Very cool stuff. I want to make a top loader DVD for a mini. But as small as you made that, it seems like its going to work great.

Oh, and I agree... a rep count is WAY better than just having a high post count, and my e-penis is smallish anyway.

Edited by Dracc, 02 July 2006 - 08:36 AM.

#12 mpatton

mpatton

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:49 PM

Couple updates, nothing too major yet

I started off by mounting the motherboard onto the plexiglass base. I tapped the plexiglass to take the screws, then use some spacers to hold the board up a bit.

Next, I started working on a mount for the HD and DVD player. I joined the two together to make things easier, then bent some lexan to make a basic HD mount on one side, and a support in the center:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Here's a shot of everything mounted so far. Still need a few more pieces to hold some parts, but it's pretty solid so far.

IPB Image

Best of all, even with the dvd drive added this mini is basically the same size as the old one, less than .25" taller vertically and not quite as deep. It measures in at 9.5x9x3"

Ignore the ugly looking plexi; it still has the protective plastic on it. It will be sanded to give it a frosted look anyway so the lighting will distribute better.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Still a long way to go, but making progress.

#13 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:52 PM

dude thats bloody awesome. I loved that old case btw. Keep up the good work.

p.s. my e-penis has grown tremendously over the last 5 months. Idk about that rep system, id prob have a really low one laugh.gif

#14 the lobo

the lobo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:00 AM

this is righteous!
'nuff said.

#15 47_M450N_47

47_M450N_47

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding, anything with computers and networking. Gaming. Shooting stuff, blowing up stuff.
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:03 AM

Wow, this is lookin great, I love what you've done with the DVD drive, I've never heard of anyone doing that before, very original and very good idea! beerchug.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users