• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Killab1234

Killab1234

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:33 PM

Hi First let me say thanks to all the info here allready it has helped me in understanding alot so far. Second I know this may seem completley rediculous but could I use hot glue instead of solder?

The reason I ask is because Im absolutley terrible with the soldering iron. Ive been practicing on spare chips i have lying around with no luck. My biggest problem is lack of a steady hand. Im using the white douX2 gs chip on a version 1.1 so no need to rebuild the lpc port... Or at least to my understanding.

So basically my plan was to hot glue the pin header to my mobo and the chip itself making sure each of the prongs were touching some of the metal and glue the do and bt wires to the correct spot. My only real fear is that im not sure if hot glue will conduct electricity.?. In other words if two prongs are glued together will this cause a short? IE.. Just put glue on the pin connector and stick it thru the lpc holes on my mobo or on the chip itself.

Hope i explained my question enough... really hope the answer is yes... I know its not a very good way but I just want to see if I could use it as a quick fix untill I find a way or someone to use a more permanet soulution.

Thanks again

#2 _GhOsT_

_GhOsT_

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:42 PM

no glue

use solder

#3 Pojojedichicken

Pojojedichicken

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 July 2006 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE(Killab1234 @ Jul 4 2006, 08:40 PM) View Post

Hi First let me say thanks to all the info here allready it has helped me in understanding alot so far. Second I know this may seem completley rediculous but could I use hot glue instead of solder?

The reason I ask is because Im absolutley terrible with the soldering iron. Ive been practicing on spare chips i have lying around with no luck. My biggest problem is lack of a steady hand. Im using the white douX2 gs chip on a version 1.1 so no need to rebuild the lpc port... Or at least to my understanding.

So basically my plan was to hot glue the pin header to my mobo and the chip itself making sure each of the prongs were touching some of the metal and glue the do and bt wires to the correct spot. My only real fear is that im not sure if hot glue will conduct electricity.?. In other words if two prongs are glued together will this cause a short? IE.. Just put glue on the pin connector and stick it thru the lpc holes on my mobo or on the chip itself.

Hope i explained my question enough... really hope the answer is yes... I know its not a very good way but I just want to see if I could use it as a quick fix untill I find a way or someone to use a more permanet soulution.

Thanks again

The glue wont conduct electricity. You could ghetto rig with hot glue, but im not going to recommend it.

#4 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 04 July 2006 - 09:48 PM

Get someone to install this.

#5 Killab1234

Killab1234

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:53 PM

Ok thanks kinda figured that would be the answer... LOL its funny that you used the term ghetto rig... as thats exctally what me and my cousin called it. I guess ill either A. Keep honing my soldering skills or B. Find someone else to do it.

Btw? If solder touches one of the metal wires ran underneath the board... Not the wire itself but the board will that cause any shorts or anything?

Also what kind of wire should I use... I have a bunch of different kind... tho not sure of the names of any of them Does it really matter? Of course I realize that it cant be large but I heard the ide ribbons wire would work also telephone wire? Is this true?

Edited by Killab1234, 04 July 2006 - 10:59 PM.

#6 dopus

dopus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:17 PM

get a lpc rebuild board if u have a 1.6 xbox. Else use thin wires. thiker wires would be more tricky to solder on to small points on the mainboard.

#7 Killab1234

Killab1234

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:28 PM

luckily ive had my xbox for quite some time and its version 1.1 However my cousin has a 1.6 and we had tryed to use the lpc rebuild board but it was too difficult to tell wether or the points were making a connection. We plugged it in and it just boot to the normal xbox screen on both banks... Sadly we later read that we should just use wires for just that reason.

Then even more sadly we tryed to remove the lpc rebuild board and yanked out one of the contacts along with the board... I read a few places on how to fix or bridge the gap so hopefully we can get a hold of this soldering thing so that we can try that.

but as I said luckily mines a 1.1 and no need to rebuild the lpc only have to solder the pins and the two wires to the Do and bt points... or again so I heard...

#8 Killab1234

Killab1234

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:09 AM

Whole new set of issues...

Ok so decided to stop being affraid and soldered ... It isnt the best soldering job but all the contacts look to be making connections and nothing is touching.

I used the alt Do and Bt points located on the back of the motherboard. used 30 guage wire. I hooked up the xbox and it boots as normal... The led on the chip doesnt flash and its just the normal ms boot up... So thankfully I havent wrecked my box but still dont have a mod chip installed... or least it isnt recognizing it.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Edited by Killab1234, 05 July 2006 - 01:09 AM.

#9 Killab1234

Killab1234

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:10 AM

Woot! Ok well i guess my soldering skills werent ready... I watched a few tutorials then went at it again. This time I left off the bt wire for the time being as I dont plan on going on live anytime soon anyways... Well it fired up cromwell?? think thats what it was with no prob However I thought the led was suppose to flash green not red? Other then that seemed to work ok. Now to move on to the next step. Thanks smile.gif

#10 titaniumtwix

titaniumtwix

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:57 PM

mine flashes red on the chip

you should solder a wire from the bt (on thechip) to pin 9 if you want it always on (its more stable) and congrats on soldering and not using glue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users