Mbaboy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:55 PM

The only think I worry about is getting banned from Live. Before M$ can ban people for hacking their firmware, their gonna most likely have to send out an update right? I don't see how they can do it without an update. It'll be like an early warning to flash back to the original firmware. Or is it possible their just gonna start doing it with no warning?

#2 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:58 PM

We dont know. It might NEVER happen.

#3 Mbaboy

Mbaboy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:11 PM

Never? Common, this is MS.

#4 jameswalter

jameswalter

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:15 PM

It could be in any update, maybe one update they release for a month and collect data about all the people running backups, then one day ban them all.

#5 Mbaboy

Mbaboy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:25 PM

That also crossed my mind, as there was an update I downloaded last week. I hadn't been on in a while. Does anyone know when that last update was released?

Edit:
I looked back, the big update that added queing to live downloads was on June 6th, and the earliest public firmwares were availiable mid-May(?). I am almost positive another live update has been released since then, a smaller one that was never publicized. It could have been to check for Hitachi firmwares as they were released considerably later.

Edited by Mbaboy, 11 July 2006 - 05:33 PM.

#6 snake36

snake36

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:18 PM

I dont think ms is to worried about running backups.. If anything i think an update would check the firmware and if moded not allow to play games untill it is changed back.. I feel they are more worried about running unsigned code on xbl then running backups.. Backups doesnt hurt anyone but hacked games will destroy sbl..

#7 bamma

bamma

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE(xboxexpert @ Jul 11 2006, 05:05 PM) View Post

We dont know. It might NEVER happen.

have to agree with you on that one!!
we know that ms can comunicate with the mobo but can they read the dvd drive firmware?
i think not biggrin.gif
my opinion! for all its worth is that there is a prety good chance that they will never be able to detect the mod becase as far as the mobo is concerned every disc put in the drive is origional therefore no data will have changed on the eprom or any other chip thats on the mobo!

also i dont think ms will be able to make future games not playable with extreme as this would require every 360 dvd firmware to be updated and that would cost ms a fortune recalling every 360 sold!!

lets hope im never proved wrong!!!

#8 snake36

snake36

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE(bamma @ Jul 11 2006, 06:35 PM) View Post

have to agree with you on that one!!
we know that ms can comunicate with the mobo but can they read the dvd drive firmware?
i think not biggrin.gif
my opinion! for all its worth is that there is a prety good chance that they will never be able to detect the mod becase as far as the mobo is concerned every disc put in the drive is origional therefore no data will have changed on the eprom or any other chip thats on the mobo!

also i dont think ms will be able to make future games not playable with extreme as this would require every 360 dvd firmware to be updated and that would cost ms a fortune recalling every 360 sold!!

lets hope im never proved wrong!!!

I hope you are right but i am sure it cant be to hard for ms to make an app on the 360 that dumbs the firmware just like we did on the pc and check it agaisnt what it should be...

#9 Mbaboy

Mbaboy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE(snake36 @ Jul 11 2006, 06:25 PM) View Post

I dont think ms is to worried about running backups.. If anything i think an update would check the firmware and if moded not allow to play games untill it is changed back.. I feel they are more worried about running unsigned code on xbl then running backups.. Backups doesnt hurt anyone but hacked games will destroy sbl..

So they may be ok with backups but not okay with hacked games? That seems logical, except there is no way to determine if a game is backed up (from a legitly owned copy) or hacked (downloaded from the net).

#10 monkeyflungpoo

monkeyflungpoo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:57 PM

How long has the xbox 1 firmware been around for, a lil while anything happen nope. So either MS cannot do squat about or they don't care. bc if they cared we would have been banned a long time ago

#11 stickybuds

stickybuds

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE(Mbaboy @ Jul 11 2006, 07:00 PM) View Post

So they may be ok with backups but not okay with hacked games? That seems logical, except there is no way to determine if a game is backed up (from a legitly owned copy) or hacked (downloaded from the net).

Think you missunderstood what he ment by 'hacked games'. He didn't mean games downloaded from the net, he ment games being played on live with cheats enabled by changing files within the game. This cannot be done with the dvd hack because as soon as a file is altered to for instance make you bulletproof or jump 10x higher or whatever the game no longer boots because the gigniture is broken.

If there was cheaters on xbox live then legit players would just not stop using live because it was unfair, m$ wouldn't get the live subscriptions and m$ would loose out.

I personaly sold all of my original games when the hack came out and will never buy 1 again, however i have spent about 20 quid on live this month with my live subb and call of duty maps. So why would m$ want to ban people like me?

#12 lord^infamous

lord^infamous

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE(stickybuds @ Jul 11 2006, 01:16 PM) View Post

Think you missunderstood what he ment by 'hacked games'. He didn't mean games downloaded from the net, he ment games being played on live with cheats enabled by changing files within the game. This cannot be done with the dvd hack because as soon as a file is altered to for instance make you bulletproof or jump 10x higher or whatever the game no longer boots because the gigniture is broken.

If there was cheaters on xbox live then legit players would just not stop using live because it was unfair, m$ wouldn't get the live subscriptions and m$ would loose out.

I personaly sold all of my original games when the hack came out and will never buy 1 again, however i have spent about 20 quid on live this month with my live subb and call of duty maps. So why would m$ want to ban people like me?

AMEN. I'm in your boat.

#13 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:04 PM

You misunderstood the section you posted this in. This is a technical section. Not the section for speculative posts on the fact you are shitting bricks that your box may get dumped from live for being hacked
closed

Edited by Chancer, 11 July 2006 - 09:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users