33 replies to this topic

#16 tutu

tutu

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:51 PM

Scew HD-DVD. Gives us the HD-DVD/Blueray combo drive.

PS3 Fan Boy - "My PS3 can play blueray". 360 Fan Boy - "so what, so can mine!!!"

#17 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE(sinister slipknot @ Jul 14 2006, 09:30 AM) View Post

I like how he thinks that we 'probably' have the core. dry.gif

and our core users (that's probably you!) wouldn't felt left out in the cold.

I think you misinterpreted what was being said. By 'core users', he means central users, ie the core of the gaming community.

Martin

#18 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:11 PM

this is so stupid. If MS does this they are no more screwed up than sony. Why would MS give up their price advantage for the 50 ppl that want this shit. Listen HD DVD/ Blu ray is way over rated and so is hdmi. Why would they mess up their image even more by doing this?

#19 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 July 2006 - 03:12 PM

Id love to have hdmi, simply because its the best out. Could i really tell a difference between component and hdmi, probably not.. maybe slightly. But the fact that I have it would be satisfactory.

If ms actually went through with a "send us your console, well upgrade it" do you think they'd mind that my 360 is a completely different color, has a window, and blinding LEDs? Well, i sure would. ERg... actually, nevermind, i have another 360. woooooot.

Blah, we all know its not gonna happen, cant MS like create a converter or something? Just a little dealy deal that converts/upscales/whatever component to hdmi... or analog to digital. Blah, what do i know, im so out of it right now.

Edited by sicknasty413, 14 July 2006 - 03:13 PM.

#20 lex_luther23

lex_luther23

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 14 July 2006 - 03:23 PM

Like i said time and time again.....The console was rushed to market to get the extra ground before sony came out. I could had lived a few more months with out why they added more to the hardware. I do think Hd-dvd and blue ray is over rated dvd is fine with me. But i do feel instead of this addon for a 2nd drive is retarded they should had just built it in side the console. They could had took 2 - 3 more months to add all of these features and still get the console out in time to get enough ground in the USA and Uk.

#21 rasstar

rasstar

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 14 July 2006 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE(FreshOuttaMaps @ Jul 14 2006, 06:13 AM) View Post

Here's a better idea. Get rid of the core system. Then add a new high-end xbox to compete directly with the PS3 that has a bigger hard drive, integrated wifi, HD-DVD and HMDI for $599. Continue to ship games on regular DVD, obviously.

That's rediculous. That's like offering a whole new system and MS will not do that . WHat they can do is have a bundle with the wifi or something but not a new system. I don't understand why anyone is buying this BS. MS will never offer a 360 with HDMI ...do you know how embarassing that would be for them. People should know that less than 1% of TV owners have HDMI.

Edited by rasstar, 14 July 2006 - 03:43 PM.

#22 rasstar

rasstar

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 14 July 2006 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE(lex_luther23 @ Jul 14 2006, 03:30 PM) View Post

Like i said time and time again.....The console was rushed to market to get the extra ground before sony came out. I could had lived a few more months with out why they added more to the hardware. I do think Hd-dvd and blue ray is over rated dvd is fine with me. But i do feel instead of this addon for a 2nd drive is retarded they should had just built it in side the console. They could had took 2 - 3 more months to add all of these features and still get the console out in time to get enough ground in the USA and Uk.

Then we will pay $600.00 for a gaming console with fatures 90% of us wouldn't use? I think this has been repeated on numerous occasions...MS wanted to give consumers a choice. Not everyone cares about HDDVD or Bluray right now. I am for sure not buying any $30.00 movie and I can get the DVD for $9.99. Hell I don't even buy movies.

#23 lex_luther23

lex_luther23

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 14 July 2006 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE(rasstar @ Jul 14 2006, 11:02 AM) View Post

Then we will pay $600.00 for a gaming console with fatures 90% of us wouldn't use? I think this has been repeated on numerous occasions...MS wanted to give consumers a choice. Not everyone cares about HDDVD or Bluray right now. I am for sure not buying any $30.00 movie and I can get the DVD for $9.99. Hell I don't even buy movies.

all i like the console i own 2 of em.....I'm just saying addons like that don't go to well with the customer look what a flop the Sega CD add on was or the 32x or the ps2 Hdd with final fantasy!! Add ons like this don't sell well and leave a bad taste in the customer's mouth.

#24 sub

sub

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 05:20 PM

If I was MS, and decided to add HDMI as standard for new xbox 360's, then I'd offer existing users a chance to send in their 360 for a replacement/upgrade, ....but I'd charge some token amount ($30 - $50) to discourage those who dont really need it from taking them up on the offer.

#25 tgm4883

tgm4883

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE(sinister slipknot @ Jul 14 2006, 01:30 AM) View Post

I like how he thinks that we 'probably' have the core. dry.gif

Actually I read it as "core", the people that care about this stuff. As in, not the weekenders, but the people who game day in and day out. The people who are the foundation of their customers. Not the people who buy it cause its new.

#26 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:54 PM

all i like the console i own 2 of em.....I'm just saying addons like that don't go to well with the customer look what a flop the Sega CD add on was or the 32x or the ps2 Hdd with final fantasy!! Add ons like this don't sell well and leave a bad taste in the customer's mouth

Those were used for games so ofcourse they are going to flop. The HD DVD isn't used for games, in fact from a financial stand point I dont think MS expects them to gain much seeing as though its just a Peripheral to them. Remember its not used for games (and games are MS' bread and butter), so it doesnt matter to them in terms of sales. Thats another reason why I think MS will never add an HDMI port cause they don't care as much as ppl think they do. ITS NOT THAT IMPORTANT!

Neither HDMI or HD DVD/Blu Ray adds anything siginificant to gaming so as far as im concerned they are not important.

and for those saying it was rushed...

MS' top goal with the 360 was not market share but profit! So this has very little to do with the system being rushed. Ms just never wanted to put expensive parts in there that they will never be able to pay for in the long run *ahem* xbox 1, ps3 *ahem*. So adding HD DVD/HDMI just for bragging rights is stupid and is also not only raping the consumers of their money but also raping themselves. They can offer a similar experience for a lower price then why not? I dunno bout u but if I see an affordable device that does what i want it to do, I would buy it over the over priced bloat factory thats on the shelf beside it (ps3). Its the logical thing to do.

Edited by incognegro, 14 July 2006 - 10:05 PM.

#27 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:09 PM

I think if they do release a new version of the console with HDMI ports a free upgrade service to those who want it would be a great idea. Heck even charging a $25 fee of some sort would be acceptable IMO.

This seems very similar to the Nintendo Gamecube's situation

The early model GCs had a "Digital A/V" port that was similar to a Japanese D-Port, it supported component video and VGA. It was the only way to get Component video (and thus 480p) out of the Gamecube.

About halfway through it's life Nintendo realized that LESS THEN 1% of all GC owners had purchased the Component cables. Since there weren't (and still aren't) any 3rd party component cable available it was a pretty accurate number. Because of this when the made internal revisions to the hardware they dropped the Digital AV port (thus dropping component/480p support).

Even after doing this they offered a free exchange service to those with new style GCs who wanted the Digital AV port. I actually bought a USED GC at a local GameStop. When I found out it was missing the Digital AV port I looked on Nintendo's website and found out about the exchange program.* I called them up and they gave me an RMA. 5 days later I had a new (old) Gamecube with a Digital AV port on it... and it cost me NOTHING.

I think MS would be wise to offer a similar service. I think we here at XS represent a very small group of people actually interested in HDMI and most of the gaming public will in-fact be satisfied with just component video outputs.

Even charging a small fee for the exchange will keep those who do the exchange limited to those who really want it and besides you'd be exchanging used hardware for new hardware.

...my 2 cents...

*I should note that a couple of months ago Nintendo discontinued the Component cable, and the page about the free exchange has dissapeared from their website, not surprising seeing as the Wii is right around the corner. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they'd still oblige if you called them.

#28 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:36 PM

*I should note that a couple of months ago Nintendo discontinued the Component cable, and the page about the free exchange has dissapeared from their website, not surprising seeing as the Wii is right around the corner. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they'd still oblige if you called them.

i like how u brought that up, cause I was gonna mention before but was getting tired of typing. Anyways, i think nintendo realise that its just not that important. i feel its going to be the same with the 360 if that was the case. ppl talk about HDMI/ HD dvd but the truth is that they just want it there for bragging rights (mostly). if you do any research you'll realise its not that big a deal. I don't think its worth their time, frankly. but whatever, thats just my opinion. Opinions were made to be opposed smile.gif

#29 #XboxBoy#

#XboxBoy#

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:37 PM

I am thinking the hdmi port might be on the hd-dvd player it only makes sense. Think about it.

#30 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.

Posted 15 July 2006 - 10:47 PM

Alright I mentioned it in my last post, dont think anyone commented on it.. im no video/audio expert and im not really sure how the whole shmeel works...

But, would a converter be possible. Just a little brick/cube/rectanular prism that converts/upscales/whatever component to hdmi/dvi... or analog to digital or whatever. Blah, idk, it just kinda seems possible in my mind blink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users