• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 spiffyville

spiffyville

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • Interests:Working on the physics behind wingless flight for humans. Slow going so far.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:56 AM

Okay, I have attempted the 128MB ram upgrade. I desoldered all the chips from another board, all the pins are intact and look a okay. I lined up all the chips on pin number one on the board in each respective slot. Now here comes my problem, I've gone over the board a number of times and can't find any bridges whatsoever. But when i turn the machine on all I get is orange/red flashing lights. I have a tsoped board, its 1.0. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

edit. The board actually boots three times to a green light then goes to the red/orange. It looks a lot like a bad chip install, but with the red/orange lights instead of red/green.

Edited by spiffyville, 16 July 2006 - 03:58 AM.

#2 Cappi

Cappi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Interests:Modding the crap out of xbox's
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:42 AM

Either there is a bridge or the RAM is bad. Also go over every pin 2-3 times with an xacto knife and see if you can find any cold joints.

#3 spiffyville

spiffyville

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • Interests:Working on the physics behind wingless flight for humans. Slow going so far.

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:52 AM

Is there any simple way to tell the ram is bad with it mounted onto the board already?I'm kinda nervous about popping it around with an exacto knife, would that be a good way to lift a trace?

#4 4ndr3wk

4ndr3wk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:27 PM

my xbox does this after i have just took the xbox apart and put it back together. i have not physically changed anything with mine and it does the exact same as yours. maybe the new RAMs fine and something else is wrong now mad.gif i have only softmodded mine.

i hope this helps both of us towards repairing xboxs

4ndr3wk

#5 A@ron

A@ron

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:49 PM

FRAO is a bad solder joint 9 out of 10 times. There can be a bridge under the chip if you had a poor install and do not have the proper tools. Re-flux the pins and solder them again. If you don't know what flux is you should not have done the upgrade in the first place smile.gif

I still do them since it seems no one else bothers with them anymore and I've got the proper tools.

#6 spiffyville

spiffyville

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:37 PM

OKay so checking all the pins again is my best option? Is there anyway to test them with a multi meter, between points on the chips to see if they are bridged? Continuity test or the like? I know about flux, the only problem I have is I used the last bit I had on the initial install, and I have to order more as the stores in my area don't carry it. THanks for all the help so far anymore suggestions would be extremely appreciated.

edit: Also, what would you charge to take a look at it if I deem it irrepairable by my means?

Edited by spiffyville, 16 July 2006 - 08:38 PM.

#7 A@ron

A@ron

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:51 PM

I don't know what I would charge and no a multimeter won't help you much and takes way way too much time

RadioShack sells Flux

#8 spiffyville

spiffyville

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:58 PM

Yes, they sell it, but its a matter of them having it. Alright well I go back through it, if I'm unable to locate/fix the problem I'll pm/email you and see if you can give me some kind of quote. wink.gif

#9 Cappi

Cappi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Interests:Modding the crap out of xbox's
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:53 PM

Do like i said. Take an xacto knife and push each pin with a little bit of pressure and see if they move. If no pins move go over them all again. If they still dont move, look for a bridge or a soldersplash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users