#1 agorist

agorist

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:51 PM

I have been doing some major reading over the past several days and can't quite get all the answers I need, so....... Here is my problem/question and I apologize in advance for the length. I just like to provide as much background as possible before asking for help.

Started out with the problem "service required code 07" type screen when trying to start any of my bios. RED/GREEN Flashing (also the DVD draw does not open)

Searches told me I had a HDD timeout problem or possibly loose cables. Cables are fine. Called my son(computer science engineer with many Mods for family under his belt, including mine) After much discussion we determined that solder connections must be ok and we do not have a chip problem because the Smartxx screen show up fine. I removed the Samsung 160MB HDD from the Xbox and tried a diagnostic to see if HDD was broke. It did not pass the test. Inconclusive is more like it. Anyway, I had a brand new WD 160 MB HDD that we decided to use instead.

I was successful in making the swap and did a clone. Trying to start up using the new WD HDD produced the same results. So, I came to the conclusion that maybe I have bad data etc on the HDD. I also put the old Samsung in my PC and formatted it and it works just fine as a slave on my PC. Guess there is no Mechanical problem with it.

So our plan is as follows. My son is in another state and has possession of my (and several other) original XBOX HDD's. Which one is mine is not known at this time. So trying to start over as if this is an initial mod according to the tutorials, using my original, I find is not an option. I have a complete copy of the C: and E: files from my son's XBOX already backed up on my PC. The only copies of mine available are the suspected bogus ones on the new WD HDD recently installed in my XBOX. We plan to transfer the C: & E: files from my PC to the new WD HDD. Is this likely to work? I guess I would like to start from scratch and get the latest SmartXX OS and bios. My current version of Smartxx is 3331. Not sure what the bios is. How do I check? I use FlashFXP. I have Smartxx Remote Flasher. I am sure my son has a pretty good idea of how to direct me through this, but we are doing this over the phone and chat lines and he has a job. I am getting a little impatient to get my system back up and running as we do most of our entertainment while networking with our PC and XBOX. BTW, I network through a hard-wired router.

Any thoughts or advice or slaps upside my head would be appreciated. Thank you

#2 Epaige

Epaige

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:02 PM

Hmm You could try a new IDE cable Ive seen that fix error 7 b4.

But b4 you do that try rebuilding the drive with the C: and E: files you were talking about.

I cant see a brand new hard drive being dead..and thats what makes me think its either a bad IDE or bad files but im leaning more towards the IDE. But trying the easiest firsyt makes sence.

Let Us know how it goes after the rebuild.

#3 agorist

agorist

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 02:06 AM

Thanks for the response. We have made an attempt (several hours actually) to get the FTP to connect so we can transfer the saved files. We have used Smartxx Remote Flasher, FlashFXP, and also the Web Browser method to connect to the Smartxx OS screen. We seem to be having trouble getting the ED on Chip to work. Without going into all the scenerios, let me say that the procedure works just fine on my son's xbox as we try to mirror these procedures.

One thing that I have noticed is that when we get the penguin screen, the info window at the lower right of the screen is just a grey box. I know for sure that a few days ago when we searching thru menu choices, that this screen had info in it and it also shows up on my son's box. During my search of these forums (here and smartxx) I seem to remember coming across someone else mentioning their screen was blank. But I can't seem to find the posts or the replies and don't remember much as I glossed over it at the time.

Maybe this is related to my problem. Anyway, can't seem to continue if we can't get the FTP to connect.

Also remember at the beginning of my initial post, I mentioned that I thought I had a DVD drive problem. I seem to remember someone saying that the bios searchs for DVD during the boot also and there are even ways to bypass this. Maybe this is the root of my original problem. Regardless I am stuck now. Not sure whether to get a new DVD first. And don't know why my penguin screen shows a blank grey window.
Thanks for your help

#4 agorist

agorist

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:20 PM

Bump

#5 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 06:03 PM

If you still ahve error 7 then yes the DVD can cause this in some instances. More common is the IDE controller on the motherboard. If it turns out to be this it would mean another motherboard
You could do with borrowing a dvd drive to rule it out first

#6 agorist

agorist

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:28 PM

Thanks Chancer,

Not sure where I can find a DVD to borrow. Can I still have a problem with the IDE controller if I have been successful in using it to clone the HDD. In other words, does the controller "work or not work" or can it have some functions good and some bad?

#7 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:52 PM

usually it would not work. Once it goes its usually permanent error 7.

Edited by Chancer, 20 July 2006 - 07:52 PM.

#8 agorist

agorist

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:24 AM

I guess what I am trying to say is can I rule out the bad IDE controller as the problem? After going ahead and assuming I had a bad HDD initially after my code 7 problems started, I used it to clone the old suspect HDD to the new HDD(Just in case it was a mechanical problem and not the ones and zeros). The format and file transfer process all seemed to happen correctly, but the new WD HDD gave me the same code 7 problem. Could the IDE controller still be bogus and perform some functions anyway? I have no problem going ahead and replacing parts and starting over as long as I don't just throw money at stuff that does not need it. We came at this problem with the assumption that the old suspect Samsung HDD was bad and all we needed to do was replace it and get the new files on it. We are prepared to do that and in fact have been trying for sometime to get the Files FTP'd over. However, we can't seem to get the Ed on Chip to work properly(new problem #1) and now we suspect from doing some research on the forums that we may have a DVD problem(new problem #2 that may have been origianl problem) and now possibly IDE controller(new problem #3). It seems to me that I need to first figure out why I can't FTP, unless of course the IDE controller is indeed bad and that is why FTP won't work. Does anyone have a good plan of attack for me, given the sequence of events that have led me here? Thank much for all the help and advice so far.

#9 agorist

agorist

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:41 AM

BUMP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users