1 reply to this topic

#1 spacefrog

spacefrog

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 10:46 AM

I had this old samsung drive lying around... It used to not retract very well, always had to push it in manually. And then eventually it wouldn't eject either.

The previous owner of the drive I think is a heavy smoker, as there is brown gunk all over the drive. So i took it apart and cleaned up as much as I could, and greased up a few areas with Vaseline (petroleum jelly)

And then to test it out, I plugged in only the yellow cable, without the metal casing on the top or bottom of the drive, thereby having the laser lens fully exposed. And tested the eject function several times, holding the drive sideways, and then eventually horizontal.

It was ejecting and retracting much better not 100%. but 80-90% of the time. I put the thing back together and tried to test out the read function, only to find it won't read anything now. Tried cleaning the lens and still nothing.

I'm not 100% if the drive was reading b4 i pulled it apart. Wish I tested it out first sad.gif

My question is ... have i damaged the drive by turning it on without the covers on?

I have also bought another xbox from cash converters with similar symptoms, If i had successfully repaired the samsung drive, I would have attempted this other xbox. However the seals are intact, and If I'm not confident that I can repair the drive, I'll take it back.

The other xbox is probably a 1.6, with a newer F type samsung drive. Whereas the old drive is a B type and comes from a 1.0/1.1

#2 spacefrog

spacefrog

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:21 AM

bump ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users