• This topic is locked This topic is locked
97 replies to this topic

#1 OcnewB

OcnewB

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:XboX modding, Repairing, Selling, Writing Tutorials.
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 May 2003 - 01:42 PM

When browsing these forums i see more and more posts about clock settings going wrong and posts about error 16. Here the basics for rescuing your precioussss

Basically it comes down to this. error 16 has to do with not finding the menu setting with which you can set the clock of the hdd. This happens to a lot of people that:
1. Erase there hdd (original/upgraded) and after that they dont immediatly install the hdd but leave the xbox without power longer than 5 hours.

It's all about the hdd can;t find the menu with which it can set the clock. This is mostly because the xbox hdd is empty (you removed dashboard or fux0red with ftpp). The problem arises when xbox searches for menu to set clock with, can't find it and voila: error 16. Well read on please!

So you have an error 16 uh? Don't worry "nothing" is broken!

You have an xbox hdd that is locked. And normally you can boot in original and modded mode. Retail or Upgraded doesnt matter. You start playing around with msdashboard.xbe default.xbe that sort off stuff using ftp programs. While doing this you "accidently" remove your msdashboard and also the evo-x dashboard so there is no dash anymore on the xbox hdd. You end the ftp session and after that you shut off your xbox. Normally when you would start up again it gives you an error 13/14 ( no dashboard found). No worries with a slayer evo-x cd all is ok. BUT this is only WITHIN 3 hours or so.

This is becuz the internal clock of the xbox will only be kept alive by the condensators for only 3 hours or 4 . So when you leave your xbox unplugged form electricity for over 5 hours after you have played with the .xbe's AND you have removed your (ms and evox)dash from your xbox than you are fux0red. Why do you ask?
Why can't i boot from cd?

Its as follows
Xbox starts booting==> (almost 1st thing a xbox does is) searches for internal clock==> doesnt find internal clock becuz there hasnt been any electricity on the xbox for 5 hours so battery that kept clock alive is empty and clock is gone.==> searches for the proper dashboard menu to set clock with ==> doesnt find msdashboard or evo-x dashboard menu becuz you d*mbo have removed it from the hdd for whatever reasons you had==>xbox gives error 16: cannot set clock.

So what do you do about it? Two options!

1. There are some bios'es around that allow the chip to boot past the clocksetting. (do a search!).So how do you get that bios on your chip becuz you cant boot to a flash program or something. Well you need to have an external flasher.

*edit*
Posted by: "chris67rs" It seems the d6 bios will take care for you of booting past the clocksetting.
thanks chris67rs for sorting this out for me
*/edit*

2. This is the more easy and newbie friendly strategy
-Get a friend with a modded xbox.
-Unlock his hdd with eeprom management from a slayer evo-x cd.
-Than, place his hdd in your xbox.
-Boot with your chip on.
-Now the xbox DOES find a dashboard when you boot in original mode and you can set the time in the msdashboard clock settings.
-Shut off xbox and remove your friends hdd
-PLace his hdd back in his xbox and lock it again
-Install your hdd
-(clock has been set) So boot up with slayer cd.
-Install normally whatever you wanna install
-lock hdd

Thats all!
Good luck

I am not reasponsible for whatever happens to your xbox when executing my thingys. It's just what i found to be working so don't blame me when you fux0r your xbox. Without this your xbox would even be more fux0red so... Have fun and good luck

*edit*
2nd thingy, i dont know if this'll work on other chips than the exector 2 lite/pro's. It sure does work for them but i do not know about matrix/chameleon etc.
*/edit*

Edited by OcnewB, 07 June 2003 - 12:09 AM.

#2 eznow

eznow

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 01:18 PM

thanks nice information, but which bios's skip the clock settings smile.gif sorry had to ask

#3 OcnewB

OcnewB

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (eznow @ May 9 2003, 03:18 PM)
thanks nice information, but which bios's skip the clock settings smile.gif sorry had to ask

I have no idea actually unsure.gif , accept for the fact i know "they" exist. heard something about d6 or something. No idea further.

I always use my "newbie" method biggrin.gif

Edited by OcnewB, 09 May 2003 - 01:32 PM.

#4 OcnewB

OcnewB

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 09:38 AM

*bump*

#5 chris67rs

chris67rs

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Interests:Xbox Mods
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 12 May 2003 - 11:10 AM

the D6

#6 OcnewB

OcnewB

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (chris67rs @ May 12 2003, 01:10 PM)
the D6

I edited my startpost. Thx m8 :-)

#7 Bucker

Bucker

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 06:35 PM

I have already posted this more than once. It should have been pinned a long time ago.

#8 OcnewB

OcnewB

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 07:46 AM

*bump*
PIN ME PLEASE MODS!!

#9 oddy

oddy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 12:06 PM

First of all Id like to say thats very good stuff you have wrote
Now I have 2 questions.
I also have messed up my dash(error code 16)I have a cheaplpcmodchip with the executer 2 bios and i have also an external flasher.
So question to chris67rs.Could it be possible to program the D6 bios into my mod and does D6 support the 2 versions of xbox(v1.0&v1.1)

tx oddy,

#10 micromyth

micromyth

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 12:42 PM

I have the same problem. It started as error 13 and is now error 16. The Xbox has not been modded at all. Is there any way to sort this without a modchip and if not which should I get and where from as I am in the UK. Thanks

#11 micromyth

micromyth

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 01:46 PM

Sorry just another question to add onto the last one. Can I ghost a working xbox hardrive using my PC and put this back into the xbox? Will this get around the locking of the drive?

#12 OcnewB

OcnewB

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (micromyth @ May 17 2003, 03:46 PM)
Sorry just another question to add onto the last one. Can I ghost a working xbox hardrive using my PC and put this back into the xbox? Will this get around the locking of the drive?

No, your computer can't read the xbox format not even when you made a backup. Xbox uses fatx not something like fat32 of ntfs. So it won;t work. Use a modchip for example an executor 2 and follow my utorial. Goodluck

#13 tjheint

tjheint

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 04:54 PM

I posted a while back about this problem the easiest way to fix it is to pull the mod chip pin and put the original HD back in. Set the time then switch back. I messed with this for like 3 days thinkin it was something I did. The original HD swap is the easiest if the case is open.

#14 Bgriesi

Bgriesi

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 28 May 2003 - 08:50 AM

Well I guess I must have to only error 16 from not messing with my dashboard. All I did was move my matrix chip to mode 4 to update the flash in evox 3752 and it locked up on me in the middle of the flash. and was not able to reflash the chip I pulled it out of my xbox and placed it on my programer and now all the lights on the chip look like a freakin christmas tree. They all keep flashing

#15 james_row

james_row

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (OcnewB @ May 27 2003, 10:59 AM)
QUOTE (micromyth @ May 17 2003, 03:46 PM)

No, your computer can't read the xbox format not even when you made a backup. Xbox uses fatx not something like fat32 of ntfs. So it won;t work. Use a modchip for example an executor 2 and follow my utorial. Goodluck

Your PC can very well detect the Xbox HD, you just have to do the HD swap thing to bypass security/HD password. The OS (DOS, WIndows...etc) can't understand XBFS but a good tool can extract raw information from the HD.

To answer the original question, Yes, you can clone you HD (there's in fact a good article on the tutorial section). Use Norton Ghost with the /ir switch. This would tell Ghost to read raw information from the hd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users