halofun121

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:45 PM

I just bought a new wireless controller today at GameStop. So far, I haven't been able to get the damn thing to sync up. I follwed the instructions to the letter, but the ring of light on the console and controller just keeps spinning, and then on the console the ring of light stops spinning, and the controller goes back to flashing. I've tried everything, batteries, everything on the troubleshooting guide, but still to no avail.

The controller my console came with works fine and synced up right out of the box. My friend told me that one of his wireless controllers wasn't syncing up, so he returned it to the store and got a new one, and the new one worked.

If anything, as a last resort, I might end up calling MS tonight.

I also noticed that the silver on the bottom of the controller has a different texture to that on the controller that came with my console. Interesting...

Can anyone help?

#2 taikwondoejoe

taikwondoejoe

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 July 2006 - 01:15 AM

Did you try pressing the sync button on the wireless then pressing the resync on the console?

#3 halofun121

halofun121

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE(taikwondoejoe @ Jul 20 2006, 08:22 PM) View Post

Did you try pressing the sync button on the wireless then pressing the resync on the console?

Yes, I followed the instructions to the letter. Here's everything I did:

1. Turned on the controller
2. Turned on the console
3. Pressed the sync up button on the console
4. Pressed the sync up button on the controller

Here's what I don't get. If I resync the controller that I got with the console, it syncs up just fine. I think the controller I bought today has a defect. That's what you get for manufacturing things in China. Any one else know anything?

#4 pbkill

pbkill

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 21 July 2006 - 04:13 AM

About 4 months after I opened my 360 and painted it I had the same problem. MS sent me 2 new controllers, same issue, they would not sync up. So I took apart my box agian and reset the controller board and what not. It worked fine and then about a week later I got the 3 red lights overheating problem.

At this point I did the heatsink mods and added the A5 cooling past on there. Worked for about an hour and then died. Now it flases the lights as soon as I turn it on.

My xbox 360 is currently in 10,000 tiny pices swimming in my pool. (Not really I got it out a few days ago and put in the garbage wink.gif )

#5 halofun121

halofun121

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 03:30 PM

Ok well I called customer support and they told me to return it to the store. And if that doesn't work they gave me a number to call. I believe this number is where I call if I need to send the controller back and get a new one.

Question, are these exchanges from MS refurbished or new items?

#6 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:23 PM

Press the Sync button on the xbox 360 and the lights will spin around and around.

Press...and HOLD the sync button on the controller. The lights will then spin around and around on the controller and sync to the 360.

Once you sync up the controllers for the first time its LOCKED to that xbox 360. If you want to sync it to another 360 you have to hold the button down as stated above.

PM me with if this worked or not I'd like to know if I made sense to you. biggrin.gif

#7 halofun121

halofun121

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE(xboxexpert @ Jul 21 2006, 01:30 PM) View Post

Press the Sync button on the xbox 360 and the lights will spin around and around.

Press...and HOLD the sync button on the controller. The lights will then spin around and around on the controller and sync to the 360.

Once you sync up the controllers for the first time its LOCKED to that xbox 360. If you want to sync it to another 360 you have to hold the button down as stated above.

PM me with if this worked or not I'd like to know if I made sense to you. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the reply xboxexpert but I just returned it to GameStop and got a new one that works flawlessly. The Gamestop guy told me they've gotten three or four controllers returned for the same problem.

#8 StepsAscend

StepsAscend

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:37 AM

I'm a little unhappy with the wireless controllers at the moment as well. The betteries just died on mine, and I've had it for about 2 weeks. I've had my Logitech Xbox wireless controller since Christmas and haven't had to replace the batteries yet! and that logitech has way more hours on it than the 360. I even play with vibration off to extend the life. What crap. Guess I have to drop 20 bucks on a fucking play and charge kit. M$ is a bunch of a-holes. If logitech can make a wireless controller that lasts, surely M$ can. As soon as Logitech releases a 360 controller, I'm there.

#9 hignaki

hignaki

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:08 PM

Umm....they state on the box of the controllers that battery life is about 25 hours. It's not bad if you have the rechargeable batteries. With AAs, it gets kind of annoying. That's why I dont' use AAs. Don't bash just because you forgot to buy a Play and Charge kit with your box; though I don't see why you wouldn't have one already... Did you get a core 360 or something? Methinks you're a little confused somewhere along the line.

#10 StepsAscend

StepsAscend

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:06 AM

No, I'm not confused. I have the premium. I just didn't drop the extra cash for a play and charge kit when I bought it. I figured the double As woud last a little longer, like they did in my logitech. I got a pnc kit today. Kind of odd how hot the console runs in standby just to charge the battery. Oh well. May grab a quick charge kit too, once I get an idea of how often I'm gonna have to recharge.

What they really need is a cradle that you can lay the controller on when you're not using it that will charge the batteries, like wireless mice use.

"Methinks" the design could be improved.

Edited by StepsAscend, 24 July 2006 - 06:09 AM.

#11 Enigma05

Enigma05

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:47 PM

I ran into the same problem and googled for some help and found this page. Thanks in advance, excellent detailed simplistic info but it didnt work until i powered my system off and back on.

#12 jolyrojr

jolyrojr

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE(StepsAscend @ Jul 23 2006, 11:06 PM) View Post

What they really need is a cradle that you can lay the controller on when you're not using it that will charge the batteries, like wireless mice use.

There are currently 2 on the market. I have a couple of each. There is a nyko one that comes with 2 batteries that allows you to drop the controller in. I really like this one. I get great performance out of them.

There is an energizer one which you connect the front of the controller into. It works with microsoft rechargeable packs as well as rechargeable AA's. Its not bad, but I like the nyko one better.

#13 topo80

topo80

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:34 PM

I just encountered this problem with my untouched xbox that i bought late 2009.

I remember i fixed a box with the same problem a few months ago. What it was is the pcb behind the power button that lost connection.
If you wanna try fix it without opening the box just remove the faceplate and press semi hard on the white cover protecting the power button. Hopefully this will work for you.

I did for me just now.

Sorry for bumping old ass thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users