• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:26 PM

Microsoft confirms existence of Zune: Music now, Video and Gaming Later
Posted by XanTium | July 21 17:26 EST

From arstechnica.com/engadget:

Microsoft has confirmed the existence of the Zune portable music player and says that it will be out by the end of the year. In an interview published in this week's Billboard Magazine, Microsoft GM of Marketing for MSN Entertainment Business Chris Stephenson says that Zune is "a family of hardware and software products" targeting various digital entertainment services.

The Zune has been rumored to be capable of playing digital music, video, gaming, and downloading music over an 802.11b/g connection. Right now, however, Microsoft says the primary focus for the device will be on music. Zune will indeed have the rumored WiFi capability as well as an internal hard drive. Stephenson declined to divulge the full tech specs for the device, saying that those have yet to be decided.

Microsoft hopes to use the built-in WiFi to foster a community around the Zune, enabling users to see one another's playlists, send track recommendations wirelessly, and even share music with one another. In addition, users will be able to send and receive content between the Zune and other Microsoft devices such as the Xbox 360, Media Center PC and mobile devices running the Windows Mobile OS.

Billboard confirms that "additional Zune-branded devices will follow, including a portable video player and, potentially, a portable game device," as well as an initial device offering WiFi and drive-based storage.

Read More: ArsTechnica, CNet, SeattlePI, CNN/Reuters, Bloomberg, Engadget and Engadget overview
Zune teaser-website: http://www.comingzune.com

#2 proger

proger

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:38 PM

"and even share music with one another. "

I wonder how anti-piracy is going to feel about this. dry.gif

#3 DaddyO21

DaddyO21

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE(proger @ Jul 21 2006, 09:45 PM) View Post

"and even share music with one another. "

I wonder how anti-piracy is going to feel about this. dry.gif

i like it so IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by DaddyO21, 21 July 2006 - 09:42 PM.

#4 flashfreak

flashfreak

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:40 PM

There will probably be some DRM crap in there, but who actually protects their music? They are going to have a lot of trouble with the sharing music part.

Im a loyal ipod fan, but i reckon i'll get one of these, cos its MS and they've been better lately (well, since the xbox and 360). If it has a built in FM transmitter for the car, that'll be great, or i hope it has an easily attachable one, cos otherwise its useless to me. It has so many uses.

#5 Big Al

Big Al

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:40 PM

It sounds like an interesting idea, but why on earth would they announce this now and give Apple a chance to react to it before it comes out? I'm not much of an Apple fan, but I do like the way they introduce products. They say here it is, this is how much it costs, and it is immeidately available for purchase on their web site.

#6 failurbydesign

failurbydesign

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:43 PM

found this

IPB Image

#7 bff_foeva

bff_foeva

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:29 PM

IPB Image

Yeap there it is with the hard drive.....

JK, I like it, And Zune isn't a BAD name it's just...wierd....

#8 jwin767

jwin767

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:Computers, technology, gadgets, cars and my 360
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE(bff_foeva @ Jul 21 2006, 11:36 PM) View Post
***IMAGE REMOVED***

Yeap there it is with the hard drive.....

JK, I like it, And Zune isn't a BAD name it's just...wierd....

LOL naa ive always had creative ZEN's, just becuase my first ipod failed (Battery Died) JUST after the warrenty ran out. i probs get this if it shows to be intergrated with the LIVE system and othe MS products and WIFI "god send" means no more leaving Player next to PC/laptop to transfer songs thew....

Edited by jwin767, 21 July 2006 - 11:44 PM.

#9 hanzblinx

hanzblinx

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 12:41 AM

nice looking little zune

IPB Image

#10 Altima NEO

Altima NEO

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, XBox, 360, PSP, Dreamcast, 3D Graphics & Animation
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 22 July 2006 - 01:13 AM

Bleh, I just got a DS. So with that and my PSP I dont need another portable gaming device.

the Zune that does gaming better so freaking bad ass, that my brain explodes from its awesomeness that I would NEED to buy it

#11 FreshMeatPuppet

FreshMeatPuppet

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:00 AM

If they throw in DivX and other video support (like they did with the Creative Labs Zen Vision:M) then I'm there. My IRiver H320 is on it's last legs. sad.gif Should be available by the time it carcs it.

#12 DarkLabel

DarkLabel

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 04:56 AM

This is interesting, especially the Wi Fi part. I can gaurantee you if the thing ran linux, who knows the possibilities with that kinda technology. If it has really good battery life, more space, less than Ipod, nice looking, the ease of use (Like the Ipod and its legendary wheel) and with good marketing, it can be a big player in the field of MP3 players.

Also hasn't anyone noticed since the release of the Xbox, MS seems to be shifting from buisness to more of an entertainment platform? I believe if MS plays their cards right, they can dominate the entertainment field wit thier resources and such. But only if MS does it right of course.

#13 Pheidias

Pheidias

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 02:08 PM

hehe the comingzune webpage with Regina doing "us" makes me wanna run and hide..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users