shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,527 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 May 2003 - 08:01 PM

MS has announced the pricing structure for Xbox Live that will come into effect during the third quarter of this year:

Xbox Live one year renewal/subscription - $49.99
Xbox Live monthly rate - $5.99
Xbox Live Voice Communicator - $29.99
Xbox Live Starter Kit - $69.99 (contains demos, headset and one year subscription)

www.ve3d.com

#2 XbOxGoD

XbOxGoD

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 09:30 PM

not bad biggrin.gif

#3 plehem12

plehem12

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 08 May 2003 - 09:50 PM

I just came here to post the same thing. All the prices seem pretty fair too, actually.

#4 Achtung

Achtung

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 10:49 PM

That is really fair and I think it will give MS a huge advantage when they release Xbox2 compared to Sony that will have no online network to work with or any experience in online console gaming.

#5 yanke10

yanke10

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 09 May 2003 - 01:15 AM

those are great prices. i thought it was going to be 10 a month

#6 RenHoek

RenHoek

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 07:28 AM

Some games, for example Amped2, will contain a Live subscription for one month, just to get new gamers hooked. After one month of trial, they will have to pay for a new month or get the one year subscription.

#7 leisenstein

leisenstein

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 09:56 AM

Has PS2 announced any pricing? If they stay free, then M$ is digging a grave for Xbox LIVE.

this isn't about is it worth the price. They have to stay competitive.

Also, you have to include the costs that some developers are going to charge.(LIKE PSO)

Edited by leisenstein, 10 May 2003 - 09:57 AM.

#8 XbOxGoD

XbOxGoD

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (leisenstein @ May 10 2003, 10:56 AM)
Has PS2 announced any pricing? If they stay free, then M$ is digging a grave for Xbox LIVE.

this isn't about is it worth the price. They have to stay competitive.

Also, you have to include the costs that some developers are going to charge.(LIKE PSO)

ps2 online isn't free as the network adapter is the first years subscription basically. i can't see games makers willing to provide servers for thier games without som sort of money so i'd image it will go game by game on what you pay if PSO is anything to go by, this could be rather costly to the gamer :/

#9 leisenstein

leisenstein

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 04:09 PM

I'm just concerned because PS2 online has been out longer and I've yet to see any of the developers rolling out prices. Then there will always be some freebies out there for them.

I guess we'll know more after E3.

#10 shanafan

shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,527 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 May 2003 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (leisenstein @ May 10 2003, 01:09 PM)
I'm just concerned because PS2 online has been out longer and I've yet to see any of the developers rolling out prices. Then there will always be some freebies out there for them.

I guess we'll know more after E3.

Everquest Online Adventures isn't free. But regardless, as me being both a PS2 and Xbox online player, Live is completely worth the money. Download content, fast servers, all the games support voice communicator, etc. Its worth the cost.

And, when Halo 2 and CS come out, Live will crush PS2 online gaming. Have you seen Tribes? Yuck. Resident Evil Online looks interesting, but I am still not sure if dialup users will be able to play online in RE:O. Imagine playing RE online with a 56ker

#11 EvilWays

EvilWays

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 10 May 2003 - 08:39 PM

Sony's pricing strategy is no different than what Sega used for the Dreamcast's online games (at first they were free, then you paid per game). Look at how PSOI was handled (free) versus PSOII (paid to play).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users