#1 Master Reefed

Master Reefed

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:03 AM

for those of you that have searched and searched, like me biggrin.gif

I have had basicJava apps running for quite awhile in XDSL, if ya search these boards, you can probably walk through most of my progress.

For Java to work in XDSL, you need two folders, that arent in XDSL unless you put em there.(folder 1) /home/dsl,java(folder 2)/opt/jre1_5_0 if these two folders are not there, java will not work.

creating a swap file is HIGHLY recomended no matter how XDSL is installed
to do this, in jwm just right click (B button) setup/setup swapfile, if using the default fluxbox desktop you can either right click on the desktop and scroll through till ya find setup or creat swapfile, or... you can right click on the desktop, select window managers/switch to jwm, then youll be in jwm desktop (go to top of this paragraph)

Heres how to install Java

*** Frugal Install - click the "MyDSL" icon on your desktop, then click the "UCI" tab, scroll down to jre_1_5_0.uci.info , click on it, then hit download, it will take a few minutes cause its a 40+ meg download. ( it will ask you where to download it to, the default is /tmp/ change this to /home/dsl/, this way you can save the file and not download it again.) theres nothing else to do here java will work until ya reboot. I have tried to edit filetool to save it for next boot, but I havnt gotten that to work. tongue.gif
to save the file, right click on the emelfm icon, select emelfm as superuser, and on the right side open go to mnt/hda55 (this is your F drive) on the left you have /home/dsl/ and the file that you saved here jre_1_5_0.uci, highlight this file, then select copy, and it will copy to your F drive for later, if you dont have an F drive, hda50, or CDROM are your E drive.
now the next time ya reboot, java wont work no more, so open up emelfm (normal user) then navigate to where you saved jre_1_5_0.uci, then highlight it, and hit the button on the top of emelfm "MYDSL" , and this will install it in 2 seconds, you must do this after each reboot.

***Loopback or Native installs - you can pretty much follow the steps above, and it will work, till ya try to shutdown, you will get an error saying "Please mount directory containing optional directory and try again" not allowing you to shutdown correctly, I did this for awhile, and never really had any major problems, but shutting down correctly is always best, to keep your system running clean. soooo....
I havnt gotten apt-get install, or synaptic for that matter, to do anything for me here, what I did, was just copied the two folders that I speak about in the top of this halfass-tutorial. biggrin.gif
the two folders are installed after you install jre_1_5_0.uci so boot frugally, follow the instructions above, to get java working, then save the two folders to somewhere you can get to em from your loopback install, then just copy the folders to where they go.

Now I'm gonna go play some chess at yahoo biggrin.gif

#2 son171717

son171717

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:36 PM

so the first folder is called java
and the second is called jre1_5_0

#3 Master Reefed

Master Reefed

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:13 PM

java is in /home/dsl = "/home/dsl/java"

jre1_5_0 is in /opt/ = "/opt/jre1_5_0"

I have learned a little more about this this week tongue.gif
most .dsl .uci extentions ive ran across, can be renamed to a .tar.gz, then extracted and when you extract them, it will have the filestructure within it.

whatever.dsl renamed to whatever.dsl.tar.gz right click it in emelfm/choose action/unpack in other panel (make sure other panel has the folder open you want to extract to

Edited by Master Reefed, 27 July 2006 - 11:19 PM.

#4 son171717

son171717

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:47 AM

ok I got the jre1_5_0 installed in the jre1_5_0 folder
now where do I install gtk2 at

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users