• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:47 PM

Confirmed: AMD To Acquire ATI for 5.4 billion USD
Posted by XanTium | July 24 15:47 EST

From gamasutra.com:

Officials from computer processor manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) have confirmed rumors that the company will acquire graphics chip maker ATI Technologies in a cash and stock deal worth $5.4 billion.
The company indicated that the acquisition had been made in order to increase its presence in the commercial and mobile computing segments, as well as the consumer electronics market. The company now plans to market "customer-centric platforms" in 2007 using integrated technologies from both companies.

Although rumored since May of this year analysts had questioned the financial and strategic wisdom of AMD acquiring ATI outright. Additionally, the move could have important repercussions for the games industry, with the question of continued ATI support for Intel chipsets currently unclear. The ramifications for ATI rival NVidia's support for AMD chipsets is also now in question. The acquisition though is not expected to have any effect on the use of ATI technology in the Xbox 360 and Wii - both of which use IBM PowerPC processors.

Read More: gamasutra.com

#2 xzenor

xzenor

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:55 PM

Should make for some kick ass mobo's!! biggrin.gif

#3 juan_2006

juan_2006

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:05 PM

What if AMD creates a new console????

#4 Serious Sam

Serious Sam

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE(juan_2006 @ Jul 24 2006, 03:12 PM) View Post

AMD has never made a console before why would they create a "new" one?
blink.gif

#5 XanTium

XanTium

Xanta Powa!

• Admin
  • 3,110 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE(juan_2006 @ Jul 24 2006, 09:12 PM) View Post

Microsoft has the rights on the Xenos ATI chip used in the Xbox 360.
They don't need ATI to produce it. They can let anyone they want produce the chips.

#6 Vin'Omen

Vin'Omen

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:18 PM

well they would certianly have two of the most important peices for a kick ass console. ph34r.gif

#7 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE(XanTium @ Jul 24 2006, 03:23 PM) View Post

MS has the rights on the Xenos ATI chip used in the Xbox 360.
They don't need ATI to produce it. They can let anyone they want produce the chips.

but what about the former announcement that ATI and MS made about ATI providing future technology for MS platforms?

in other related news, some big plans are already planned with this merger...

Specifically, it appears as though AMD and ATI are planning unified, scalable platforms using a mixture of AMD CPUs, ATI chipsets and ATI GPUs. This sort of multi-GPU, multi-CPU architecture is extremely reminiscent of AMD's Torrenza technology announced this past June, which allows low-latency communications between chipset, CPU and main memory. The premise for Torrenza is to open the channel for embedded chipset development from 3rd party companies. AMD said the technology is an open architecture, allowing what it called "accelerators" to be plugged into the system to perform special duties, similar to the way we have a dedicated GPU for graphics.

http://www.dailytech...spx?newsid=3471

could this mean a smaller but faster future console from MS?

#8 Vayate

Vayate

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE(Vin'Omen @ Jul 24 2006, 03:25 PM) View Post

well they would certianly have two of the most important peices for a kick ass console. ph34r.gif

There's a problem with that statement; ATI = craaap. The heat an ATI chipset produces is second only to that of the sun. It's also probably one of the main reasons why Xbox 360's are overheating; MS thought they could get away with poor cooling like they could with an Nvidia chip. And for all the heat, and the hassle of the Catalyst drivers, they're just not all that good.

Nvidia 4 lyfe. I will buy nothing else.

#9 alexh

alexh

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:57 PM

I wonder if ATI's merger is pushed by the fact that they just lost their license to create pentium 4 chipsets or vice versa?

#10 madsci1016

madsci1016

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE(Vayate @ Jul 24 2006, 09:58 PM) View Post

There's a problem with that statement; ATI = craaap.

Nvidia 4 lyfe. I will buy nothing else.

Well right now my score is : 2 nvida mobos fail and 3 nvida vid cards fail vs. 1 ati mobo no problems and 4 ati graphics no problem.

Since i already love amd and ati, this is a wicked buyout.

Edited by madsci1016, 24 July 2006 - 10:00 PM.

#11 halofun121

halofun121

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:07 PM

I think this is a stupid move for AMD. They should be investing their money in a new processor acrhitecture, Core 2 Duo is going to kick them in the ass if they don't do something really fast.

#12 OpticNurv

OpticNurv

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:15 PM

biggrin.gif This has to be the best news in gaming history, all i've used for the last 4 years are AMD processors, and ATI chipsets/GPU's and have never had an outdated part, plus, i just upgraded to AMD's dual core 64 bit technology, gotta say, well worth the money

#13 paranoia4422

paranoia4422

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:01 PM

Great, just when Intel processors outpreform AMD for the first time in 6years ATI has to merge with AMD dry.gif

#14 blah101

blah101

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:29 PM

shit now just get INTEL to buy out Nvidia and we have our selves a old fashioned show down

i totally agree btw.. Nvidia is much better on over all perfomance then ATI

#15 JoBlo69

JoBlo69

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:50 PM

i have 2 evga 7900GTX video cards in a DFI nforce4 expert mobo 2x1024 sticks OZC platinum and an opti 165 OC 334x9=3006mhz... scores almost 10 grand in 3dmark06

i really like/enjoy the ease/low problems that the SLI tech has to offer... the crossfire crap that ati has is garbage... 1.you need a special card has a "host" or "control card" or whatever they call it and 2. the catalist drivers are a freakin nightmare to setup if you are running the latest and greatest hardware.

Nvidia cards are extremly better... main reason is less heat and better driver support and dual video cards acctually kind of work with nvidia, alot better than ati...

if anyone wants to go off on me aout this go right ahead, i know im setting myself up for a flame...

but please think twice... im testing some DX10 cards from nvidia... so i know there ahead of the game, for now at least...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users