• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,499 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:33 PM

Galaga Mini Guide

General Tips
1.I personally like to kill as many of the ships as possible when they are coming out, the less ships there are to deal with once they start shooting and flying at you, the better.

2.the double ship trick works wonders, it can easily be the differance between you beating a level, or dieing twice.

3.i don't know if this is fact or my imagination, but it seems to me that the red ships in the middle row fly faster and shoot more shots at you then the yellow ships do. i personally try to take them out first when possible.

4.when going for the double ship trick, shoot the capture ship first before you let yourself be captured. this will make the capture ship blue, and make it so that you only have to hit it once to get your ship back instead of twice.

Achievements

Stingray - 25 points
stingray's appear randomly during the game, a red or yellow enemy ship will randomly morph into a stingray. (only happens when the ships are still flying in their "formation", when only a few ships are left and they kind of "free fall" at you, they won't transform. the ship will start blinking before transforming into 3 stingrays.) its hard to explain what the stingray looks like, so here's a picture
IPB Image

Scorpion - 15 points
same as stingray, heres a picture
IPB Image

Dual Fighter - 5 points
the capture ship (the ships in the top row that take two shots to kill) will eventually fly down. if they are unguarded (there is no red ship flying in front of it) it will randomly shoot out a tractor beam. if you have an extra life, allow yourself to get caught in the tractor beam. it will look like you died as you will lose a life (which is why MUST have an extra life), and your ship is going to fight against you. fret not however, when the capture ship is flying at you (its important that the ship is moving, you'll see why on the next achievement) shoot the capture ship. destroying the capture ship will allow your red captured ship to fall to the bottom of the screen and create the Dual Fighter.

Enemy Fighter - 5 points
You start this the same way as dual fighter, allow your ship to get captured. you want to destroy the red ship this time, not the capture ship. if your lucky, you can fire a shot and have the ship move side ways into it. this however is a pain in the ass. my personal favorite way is to do this. while the capture ship is stationary in the formation, kill it (it CAN NOT be moving towards you) this will allow the capture ship to be destroyed, and the red captured ship to stay under enemy control (i don't know if its a glitch or if its on purpose, but damn was i pissed the first time this happened to me in the arcades). once the red ship doesn't have the capture ship shielding it anymore, its an easy kill for the achievement.

Perfect Bonus - 15
This one is pretty easy if you plan for it. the bonus level is every 3rd or 4th level (can't remember off the top of my head). just make sure you have a dual fighter at the end of the level before the bonus round, and position yourself in the middle (for most of the bonus levels) and when the time is right, fire like mad and all 40 enemies should die.

Dragonfly- 10 points
The dragon fly shows up in the 3rd bonus round. can't miss it if you get that far in the game. here is what it looks like.
IPB Image

Mosquito- 20 points
The Mosquito shows up in the a bonus round near level 20 (i think it might have been level 22). can't miss it if you get that far in the game. here is what it looks like.
IPB Image

galboss - 30 points
same as stingray, this mutation comes between levels 20 and 30 pretty often, however it can be found earlier then that. looks like this.
IPB Image

BlueSpace Ship- 30 points
The Blue space ship shows up in a bonus round on level 31. impossible to miss if you get this far in the game.
IPB Image

Stage 10 - 5 points
simply make it to stage 10. this particular achievement is pretty easy on its own, but to make things even easier, if you do die, you will be brought back to the title screen. you can hit down on the left stick to chose "1p start from level X [where X is where you died]" and continue where you left off. you will still get your achievments this way.

Stage 20 - 10 points
same as stage 10 (except make it to level 20)

Stage 30 - 30 points
same as stage 10 (except make it to level 30)

Random Bit of Info

i don't know if it unlocked right when i got the game, or if it unlocked after i got a certain amount of achievements, but this game comes with a Galaga gamerpic icon. (i noticed it after i was already 200/200, but it was probably there the whole time)

Edited by Reaper527, 26 July 2006 - 10:45 PM.

#2 crobar

crobar

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:19 PM

im lost....
what is the double ship trick?

#3 gcskate27

gcskate27

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts
  • Interests:video games, prgramming, comps, skateboarding, cooking, taking care of my lizards and dachshund
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:31 PM

have the homing ships capture one of your ships, then shoot the homing ship as it tows your old ship around; your ships will attach and youll have dual fighters...

#4 Reaper527

Reaper527

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 03:13 AM

QUOTE(crobar @ Jul 27 2006, 06:26 PM) View Post

im lost....
what is the double ship trick?

QUOTE(Reaper527 @ Jul 26 2006, 05:40 PM) View Post

Dual Fighter - 5 points
the capture ship (the ships in the top row that take two shots to kill) will eventually fly down. if they are unguarded (there is no red ship flying in front of it) it will randomly shoot out a tractor beam. if you have an extra life, allow yourself to get caught in the tractor beam. it will look like you died as you will lose a life (which is why MUST have an extra life), and your ship is going to fight against you. fret not however, when the capture ship is flying at you (its important that the ship is moving, you'll see why on the next achievement) shoot the capture ship. destroying the capture ship will allow your red captured ship to fall to the bottom of the screen and create the Dual Fighter.

thats the double ship trick

#5 gcskate27

gcskate27

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts
  • Interests:video games, prgramming, comps, skateboarding, cooking, taking care of my lizards and dachshund

Posted 28 July 2006 - 04:44 AM

also, if you do happen to kill the capture ship while its 'docked' with your captured fighter, just kill every other ship besides your red fighter and itll come back in the next level attached to another capture ship...

#6 Darko Predator

Darko Predator

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Video Games<br />Cars<br />Movies<br />Music
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 July 2006 - 06:33 PM

Great guide Reaper527. Keep up the good work!!!!

#7 matt57

matt57

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:56 PM

i'm getting so itrritated with this game!!!!! all i'm missing is the perfect bonus. i can't pull it off to save my ass. 38-39 kills every time. sooner or later i will get lucky i guess. thanks for the guide. i'm up to level 35 i think

#8 gcskate27

gcskate27

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 01:57 AM

come on the 1st challenging stage is so easy... get the double ship and line it up where your shots go either side of the 'in' in 'challenging stage'

like so

CODE

challeng^in^g stage

then just keep shooting the rapid fire for the first wave... move a tiny bit to the right and continue rapid fire for the next wave... move a tiny bit to the left of center and continue rapid fire for the next wave... then to the right, then to the left for the next 2 waves... 40 ships easy...

#9 Reaper527

Reaper527

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:23 AM

QUOTE(gcskate27 @ Aug 1 2006, 09:04 PM) View Post

come on the 1st challenging stage is so easy... get the double ship and line it up where your shots go either side of the 'in' in 'challenging stage'

like so

CODE

challeng^in^g stage

then just keep shooting the rapid fire for the first wave... move a tiny bit to the right and continue rapid fire for the next wave... move a tiny bit to the left of center and continue rapid fire for the next wave... then to the right, then to the left for the next 2 waves... 40 ships easy...

while i agree that the first challenging stage is very easy with a dual ship, i personally find the 2nd challenging stage easier. just focus on the ships that take two shots when they are at a distance, then all the ships will fly past you point blank so you can easily destroy them all.

#10 gcskate27

gcskate27

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:12 AM

for the second, if you move to the left or right of certer and hold down the rapid fire, you can take out the entire 2nd and third wave brfore they have a chance to 'fly upscreen'... the hard part about the second are the 4th adn 5th waves: if you dont get in the right position to start those waves, youre very likely to miss at least one as they fly up in the same path they fly down, in effect giving the first few ships an escape route as youll be blowing up the trailing ones while they escape...

#11 matt57

matt57

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:42 AM

got it last night after a long NCAA 07 session. decided i'd try it before i went to bed and managed to get on the first try. went on from there to rack up my current high score of 80,000

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users