blakholephysics

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:25 AM

So now I am one of the many people that want a High Def Xbox to work with my lcd widescreen moniter.

(I don't accually own the moniter yet, so changing to a different one [if this doesn't have sync on green] shouldn't be a problem)

Here is my theoretical setup. My question would be, first: would this work, and second: is there a better way.

Goal -

Widescreen (720p or 1080i [don't think the latter is possible with my moniter]) vga or dvi output, true high definition, good quality.
5.1 channel surround sound with digital coax or optical outputs.

I would like the goal to be accomplished with an external cable. An optical/digital coax output on the back of the xbox would be fine. I mainly want to be able to switch easily between vga/rgb/component

Spend less than $100(USD)

Xbox -

Modded with X3 CE chip, x3 bios (flashing a different one isn't a problem if I need to)
normal case, normal outputs no special av pack.

Lcd Widescreen -

WXGA display, max resolution 1440x900, vga and dvi inputs, sync on green unconfirmed.

Prefered solution-
Buy the Xbox HD AV Pack (with component out and optical audio) along with a component->vga simple cable (sync on green required)
products:
Xbox HD AV Pack - http://www.lik-sang....roducts_id=1742
component -> vga cable - http://www.ramelectr...deo-to-vga.html
total cost - 19.55+29.90=49.45+(s&h) [if I can't find a local retailer]

Is there a problem with this setup? And everything goes as planned is there a problem with some games looking green and other graphical problems?

#2 blakholephysics

blakholephysics

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:49 AM

My second option was to buy the x2vga transcoder and have a very clean solution, for about $85 + the hd av pack.

#3 deadparrot

deadparrot

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:24 AM

A better idea is to get a monitor with component inputs...

#4 TheIrishLad

TheIrishLad

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Ebay, Projectors, Economics, Marketing, Entrepreneurial Ventures.

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(deadparrot @ Jul 31 2006, 03:31 AM) View Post

A better idea is to get a monitor with component inputs...

An LCD monitor with component inputs will not be cheap. Especially like he says he wants true 720p, so an LCD with a native res of 1280x720, probably looking to pay at least 400-xxxx$ amount of money. So no, not really is that the best way.

I know pimpmaul69 sells Xbox VGA cables for 20$ shipped, with the Sync on green chip in them. So you could buy his VGA cable, and then use X2 5035 Bios patched with the RGB bios patcher (search it) and that should work out nicely.

Or you could just buy an X2VGA-2 like mentioned above, its about 65$ or so on there website +shipping.

#5 notonxbox

notonxbox

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:04 PM

Prefered solution-
Buy the Xbox HD AV Pack (with component out and optical audio) along with a component->vga simple cable (sync on green required)
products:
Xbox HD AV Pack - http://www.lik-sang....roducts_id=1742
component -> vga cable - http://www.ramelectr...deo-to-vga.html
total cost - 19.55+29.90=49.45+(s&h) [if I can't find a local retailer]

This is the setup I'm using with my dlp projector - I'm getting a picture and can see higher res. Why would a mod vga cable or a x2vga be a better option? I'm not being a smart - ass, it's a genuine question.....

#6 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Computers

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:30 PM

Because you're not running in HD. The VGA cables let you run in 480p. This is also the max though for most monitors because 720p and 1080i will give you a purple tint with a homemade VGA cable (most likely). I say buy the X2VGA, it is a true transcoder, gives you HD for 480p, 720p, and 1080i on any monitor, and no need for a separate bios.

#7 notonxbox

notonxbox

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:06 PM

thanks - i finally got an answer. a few had said that if you can see 720p the transcoder won't do anything but what you said makes sense. I mean if it was that easy - everyone would be doing it this way. I knew I was missing out on something.

What do you know about the xga vga transcoder. I know the x2vga and the vdigi are the main 2 mentioned but availability seems to be an issue. i can get an xga from the shop around the corner.

thanks again for your help and apologies for jumping in on the thread.

#8 ClintiePoo

ClintiePoo

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:19 AM

QUOTE(notonxbox @ Aug 3 2006, 10:13 AM) View Post

thanks - i finally got an answer. a few had said that if you can see 720p the transcoder won't do anything but what you said makes sense. I mean if it was that easy - everyone would be doing it this way. I knew I was missing out on something.

What do you know about the xga vga transcoder. I know the x2vga and the vdigi are the main 2 mentioned but availability seems to be an issue. i can get an xga from the shop around the corner.

thanks again for your help and apologies for jumping in on the thread.

Around the corner? Where are you? Here in Illinois, I have never seen one of these sold retail.

There have been heated debates over which transcoder is better, X2VGA (now X2VGA2) or vdigi. Go around the corner and make them do a demo for you. If you like it, buy it. If not, or if they won't do the demo, I would stick to one of the aforementioned transcoders.

Edited by ClintiePoo, 05 August 2006 - 05:19 AM.

#9 notonxbox

notonxbox

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:26 PM

I'm in copenhagen an we've got a good xbox store nearby.

the demo sounds like a good plan but a monitor and my projector are always going to look different. Was just wondering if there was any experience of the xga - wondered if it's a poor immitation of the others. there doesn't seem too much to choose between the x2 and the z3 in terms of good opinions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users