kr580

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:none

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:18 AM

I'm entertaining the idea of hardwiring a wireless adapter so I don't have to bother with the pesky ethernet cable any more. I've been reading and there's not a whole lot on the subject other than 'you need a bridge'.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=333

I came across this which is compact and is made for wireless console gaming. Think it would work? I'm thinking of hardwiring the ethernet cable and it says it runs of 5V so I could just connect in the box somewhere.

Is there any reason this wouldn't work? Hopefully an obvious problem didn't fly over my head.

Thanks - Kevin

#2 classicsat

classicsat

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Interests:Technical stuff, not much of a gamer, and if that, more non-combative simulations thant anything.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:42 PM

I'd not run it from the X-box PSU, JMHO.

I'd at least velcro it to the back of the X-box, and twin its power cord with the X-box'es one, and use a short RJ45 jumper cable.

If you are brave, you can try to fit it inside the case somewhere, and connect its power supply AC terminals tothe X-box PSU AC terminals somehow. I wouldn't recommend you do that unless you know what you are doing.

#3 kr580

kr580

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:31 PM

Oh, I'm brave. Probably more stupid, but brave none the less. tongue.gif

I actually had a couple spots in mind inside the box. If I take it out of case it appears to be small enough to fit under the DVD drive without any major problems. Of course saying and doing are two different things.

I'd be sure I knew what I was doing before I risk my Xbox. I'll be sure to read up on it.

But anyway, it's compatible and all?

#4 xman954

xman954

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:45 PM

the main thing is getting the wireless signal out of the metel shielding inside the xbox case
also leave the RJ-45 cable looped outside of the xbox long enought the get access to it incase you need to
changes settings on the bridge..
it should be ok to use the +5VDC from the xbox

#5 kr580

kr580

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:08 PM

For the signal I have two ideas. 1. Just take the shielding off (i'll have to see if the box messes with my TV or not) and 2. Extend the antenna to the back of the case.

And what do you mean by having the cable looped out side the box?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users