X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Computers
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:04 PM

Just wondering if the team is still recoding Avalaunch from the ground up or if that fell through.

Avalaunch was my favorite dash until I got sick of all of the bugs and lack of updates. Will I ever see a new version on the Xbox-Scene news? Because with the Xbox nearing its death, it almost looks like any Xbox software other than XBMC is saying goodbye. I'm just wondering if I should stop hoping for something, and instead let this join Surreal v2 among the vapors of Xbox homebrew.

I just feel that Avalaunch had great potential, but it had too many problems. I don't know how many times I've had the dash completely lock up altogether while FTPing. If you were to release a new version that fixed all these problems and threw in some new features, I would probably switch back to Ava as my default dash.

If, at any point, if the project is dead, you should open the source so others might improve what you started.

#2 manu_xl

manu_xl

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • Interests:Hacking The Box!
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:46 PM

imo ava has the best ftp ability of all dashboards to date. i never had a lockup while ftp'ing with ava. ava with qwix even rocks more. which other bugs do you have seen in ava?

#3 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE(manu_xl @ Aug 7 2006, 03:53 PM) View Post

imo ava has the best ftp ability of all dashboards to date. i never had a lockup while ftp'ing with ava. ava with qwix even rocks more. which other bugs do you have seen in ava?

The FTP bug is a huge problem, and it's happened on more than just my Xbox. Other problems are just really slow menu movement and a couple times I've had where Avalaunch would lock up just selecting File Manager. Another time it completely ignored my avalaunch.xml even though it was valid and named correctly. Just a lot of "weird" bugs.

#4 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, body building, video games

Posted 08 August 2006 - 02:34 AM

Avalaunch is the best FTP xbox to xbox application currently available. The only time it freezes on me is when tried to delete or transfer the avalauch dashboard, in particular the default skin. But there is a reason for that. For huge xbox games transfers (100gb+), i've never had it freeze up on me like other programs (unleash and xbmc).

#5 BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 339 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:21 PM

I've always had intermittent xbox 2 xbox transfer problems.. other than that the dashboard is great.

#6 the joker

the joker

Avalaunch Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:51 PM

Hi guys smile.gif

thought I'd give a tiny update as a sign of life.

Avalaunch alpha series is dead, it will never see any updates as far as I know it. Too many people copied our innovations and ideas, changing our dashboard from "innovative" to "just a dashboard". For that, I blame the other dashboard authors that lacked respect for others work. It completely killed our spirits as others got recognition for our work.
However, avalaunch 2.0 have been in production for a while and is being programmed more on now than ever. In that dash we have taken what we know was great in the old dash, and remade those into separate projects so we can easily access them for the new dashboard.

In my opinion, the core problem with ava alpha series was the stuff I wrote. I wrote a ton of different stuff, but never took good time to make anything into perfection. I also tried to do stuff I clearly had no idea how to do. The result of that was some things was new and refreshing - while other things not only failed to work, but was impossible to fix. The FTP server is one of those things. It works amazingly well in some parts, but it's close to useless in some situations.
Blazed and lys mostly worked on the stuff they did best, and that shows on the stuff they made, their code is beautiful and works exactly like it was intended.

So, I've had some time to reflect on what to do, and I've remade the ftpserver. It's flawless now and it gives speeds even greater than the old system. It's also made portable so it would take me 10 minutes to make it work on a 360....for example.
Furthermore, Jbone and his yet unnamed mate have worked their asses off in order to make an ui that already blows my mind. They have managed to perfect a mix of 2d and 3d in ways I had no idea anyone would put in a simple dashboard smile.gif
They also have a strict order to make everything work on xbox and windows as well to keep things portable and therefore easy to flip over to 360 in case it'll be possible.

In addition to having Jbone and his unnamed mate enabled fulltime on the ui +++ Carcharius and t-maul have joined the fun. No idea who want to do what, that's kinda the fun of this. One do what one feel like doing.

Other than that, the last 2 years of our 4 years have been very slow for us. And there's many reasons for that ( not mentionning any names as this is personal info ). Some of the core members have had deaths in the closest family, others have gotten kids ( a total of 3 avagirls and 3 avaboys in the last 2 years actually ! ), and some of us have worked a lot on mapping the 360 systems. There's been deals with software companies, there's been a member moving across the globe...twice.. there's been members that have gotten SERIOUS promotions in their works, and some of us have hospitalized with followig serious surgeries.... and so on. We're old people, bodyparts do malfunction smile.gif

Whats important I think, is that we've gotten laid at least 6 times (combined). I mean, how did that happen ??

Conclusion :

Avalaunch alpha series = gone. You wont see it again
Avlaaunch 2.0 = well into prouction, you'll see it pretty soon....and if we are lucky - maybe we'll be among the first things that run on the opened 360 when that happens ? one can hope.

Sincerely,
The Joker

#7 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE(the joker @ Aug 30 2006, 11:58 AM) View Post

Avlaaunch 2.0 = well into prouction, you'll see it pretty soon....and if we are lucky - maybe we'll be among the first things that run on the opened 360 when that happens ? one can hope.

Sincerely,
The Joker

I seriously like the sound of that.

#8 xess

xess

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:10 PM

This is excellent news. I cant wait for to see another ava release. Keep up the good work guys. smile.gif

#9 barman1176

barman1176

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:45 AM

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for that...Avalaunch rules biggrin.gif

#10 BlaCkAdDa

BlaCkAdDa

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:52 AM

I'm Stunned

I assumed ava was dead and buried, but its a great dash and had no idea why production had stopped so just assumed it was because it did everything it needed to do.

AVA 2.0 sounds delicious and I can't wait to try it out.

Thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

#11 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,741 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:55 PM

will there be a qwix 2.0 as well?

#12 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 12:09 AM

Joker, I just wanted to say thanks for that post. In my (now) 2 years here, I have never quite seen something like that. That has to be the greatest post I have EVER seen here.

First of all, you answered my question. I appreciate that. A straightforward , honest answer. Admitting your alpha project is dead is probably not the easiest thing to do. Standing up and saying this gives closure to the "hope" of waiting for a new Avalaunch and instead, we get a refreshed hope of waiting for the new Avalaunch 2.0.

Admitting that the FTP bugs (and others) existed lets me know that I'm not crazy tongue.gif Admitting that they were probably your fault takes some character.

The new direction you are taking with the Avlaunch project is amazing. Everything sounds perfect, I can't wait. I hope Avalaunch is the "Evox" for the Xbox 360. The pioneer alternate dashboard that it should be. Since you are the only team that has announced working on a project of this kind, I can definitely see this happening. Good luck with your new project. It would be good to hear some more Avalaunch news on the front page once in awhile.

Thanks for the post joker, it really made my day.

#13 mrjkwik

mrjkwik

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:04 PM

i know posting any kind of deadlines can be a dreaded no no among these forums, as members can be merciless if those deadlines fail. are there any possible time frames in which this release "may" happen. 3 months, 6 months, ect?

also, possible for any teaser shots?

thanks. and cant wait to see it.

#14 the joker

the joker

Avalaunch Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:58 AM

the stuff I'm working on doesn't really have screenshots, since it's mostly drivers and such. I've seen some shots from the UI tests, and they are pretty sweet stuff....but it's not for me to post smile.gif

-TJ

#15 BlaCkAdDa

BlaCkAdDa

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:09 AM

Hey sorry to dig up an old thread, but its the only reason I keep coming back here.
How is Ava 2.0 going? we're a good 9 months on from your last post on this, and I was really looking forward to it. If its dead just let me RIP sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users