Photo

Blue Ray Stuck With Mpeg2 Because Of Ps3?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#16 STICKY_BUD

STICKY_BUD

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:15 AM

ooop!!

new blueray drive cannot play blueray movies!!

#17 Kira Yamoto

Kira Yamoto

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 August 2006 - 05:10 AM

eventually there are going to be updates for the video cards. It's the fault of the cards not the drive itself. blame it on these new ridiculous copy protection in which one day will be beat anyways.

#18 Kira Yamoto

Kira Yamoto

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:37 AM

Ok i'm almost convinced now. Earlier I was running some tests on a friend's laptop, running WMV and Quicktime HD trailers and the 1080p WMV's were struggling along on a 3.2ghz pentium 4/ati radeon 9800 while the 720p videos were coasting right through. The Quicktime 720p videos were performing well too, but still don't know what would happen w/ 1080p video.

I dunno though, they still could possibly find a way to get non-mpeg2 1080p to display, as its going to be in MGS4, but its not like they're gonna share their secrets. We still don't know how powerful RSX can be, in a system thats designed specifically for games. As everyone should know by now that PC and Console specs can't measure up to each other the same, because PC has other stuff running in the background, and Console games are programmed and designed specifically for the console.

Edited by Kira Yamoto, 14 August 2006 - 05:41 AM.

#19 Exist2Resist

Exist2Resist

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE(lex_luther23 @ Aug 11 2006, 09:11 AM) View Post

It's a mess and i don't care for ether formate to be honest... I'm happy with dvd and see no reason for blueray or hd-dvd and blueray should not have been part of ps3 sony should had done what MS did and put in a dvd drive and give people the option for a blueray add on all blue ray did to that system is jack the price up and from what i read make games more costly to buy. I promisse you their is going to be more bads then goods with bluray in ps3.

I agree with Lex the new formats are unnecessary, and it jacked the price of the PS3. In my opinion the only reason these new formats are coming out is because the movie studios want to absolutely control the content that is stored on those disks, and when the times comes where you will have to authorize your BD or HDdvd movies over the net, you will have lots of pissed of ppl.

#20 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:04 PM

Im sure the ps3 can handle 1080p movie fine. Sony built the system specifically for things like this. 1080p gaming is another thing...

Hell ATI has said that the 360 gpu can handle 1080p movies ok (if it had HDMI) so I don't see the why the ps3 can t do it.

#21 Kira Yamoto

Kira Yamoto

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE(Exist2Resist @ Aug 14 2006, 11:43 AM) View Post

I agree with Lex the new formats are unnecessary, and it jacked the price of the PS3. In my opinion the only reason these new formats are coming out is because the movie studios want to absolutely control the content that is stored on those disks, and when the times comes where you will have to authorize your BD or HDdvd movies over the net, you will have lots of pissed of ppl.

yet ANOTHER reason someone is using to blame for the high-price. Look at what Sony did for PS2. They did future proof with DVD, but their GPU was sorely lacking and their CPU was inferior, simply because Nintendo waited, and MS entered late in the game. People highly criticized Sony for their weakest machine, and thus producing titles that COULD have looked better, and played better (such is the case for PS2 Battlefront 2 compared to PC/Xbox Battlefront 2)

Now after all this criticism, and their console won the 2nd war in a row, do you think they're going to sit by and let people downplay their console again? This time, they want to prove to you that they got the titles, AND the muscle to back up the titles. Sure there is a hefty price of 500/600, but if that'll mean the Playstation titles we know and love, will be buffed and play/look the way its supposed to be, I'd have no complaints. As I'm sure other people who will own a PS3 will think while they're playing it.

#22 Reaper527

Reaper527

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,499 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(Kira Yamoto @ Aug 14 2006, 12:44 PM) View Post

yet ANOTHER reason someone is using to blame for the high-price. Look at what Sony did for PS2. They did future proof with DVD, but their GPU was sorely lacking and their CPU was inferior, simply because Nintendo waited, and MS entered late in the game. People highly criticized Sony for their weakest machine, and thus producing titles that COULD have looked better, and played better (such is the case for PS2 Battlefront 2 compared to PC/Xbox Battlefront 2)

Now after all this criticism, and their console won the 2nd war in a row, do you think they're going to sit by and let people downplay their console again? This time, they want to prove to you that they got the titles, AND the muscle to back up the titles. Sure there is a hefty price of 500/600, but if that'll mean the Playstation titles we know and love, will be buffed and play/look the way its supposed to be, I'd have no complaints. As I'm sure other people who will own a PS3 will think while they're playing it.

well, DVD was already an accepted standard when they put a dvd player in the ps2. blueray is NOT. it has its own war, and sony is using the ps3 to attempt to give blueray an advantage over HD-DVD. this isn't future proofing, its aggressive marketing (and infact could be the opposite of future proofing if blueray fails)

they could easily have an affordable system if they didn't include the blueray player and had it as an optional accessory like the HD-DVD player for the 360.

#23 lex_luther23

lex_luther23

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:12 PM

You know what the ps3 is not going to have alot of games to offer that 360 is not going to have hell just like assissen's creed and elvon was ps3 exclusives now their both coming to 360 as well i don't think you grasp just how much ground controll sony is losing. Their all running to micorsoft it is getting Resident evil 5/assissen's creed / elvon /grand teft auto 4/ and EA sports said on gamertv their not putting any ps3 games out untill 5 months after the console is out to see how it sells also all the devs are porting from 360 to ps3 what does that tell you? Yes im going to buy the system but to be honest the system does not really have any thing the 360 don't nothing that SCREAMS BUY ME IM WORTH BUYING A PS3!!

Edited by lex_luther23, 14 August 2006 - 08:13 PM.

#24 Kira Yamoto

Kira Yamoto

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:09 PM

If you notice though, only the American devs are jumping ship. Why oh why, would an American developer stand by a Japanese one, if your country's system is already the majority installed base, cheaper to develop for, and have stellar technology (imo). About RE5, it was multiplatform anyways. Capcom is about the money as we already know, so multi-platform is their choice. They haven't jumped ship yet. Theyre still on board to develop for PS3.

Edited by Kira Yamoto, 14 August 2006 - 11:10 PM.

#25 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:38 PM

I think you need a little bit of a history lesson...

DVD was created out of a format war between two formats MultiMedia Compact Disc (MMCD) and Super Density disc (SD)... the war started in the early 90s and the owners of the two formats (ironicly Sony and Toshiba) agreed on a hybrid of the two which was finalized in 1996 as the "DVD" we know today. The Playstation 2 didn't come out until 2000 (4 years later). The format was already well accecpted as the predecessor to VHS and the PS2 just helped it along. the Dreamcast was the only last gen console that DIDNT use a DVD drive tech, and the reason they did that was to help prevent piracy (reguardless of the fact that in the end it didn't) and to help reduce licensising costs that they would have to pay to the DVD Forum. YES even the GC used DVD discs, they were just small DVDs, but DVDs none the less, in Japan there was a version that played DVD movies as well called the "Q" system.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD

The format war between HD-DVD and BD is just now beging... it would be equivalent to Sony trying to use the MMCD format (essentially DVD) in the Playstation 1 to help it win out over SD... If anything this will make it difficult for the two competitors to reach a common ground and make a SINGLE agreed upon predecessor to DVD.

IF Sony were truely folloing the footsteps of the PS2 they would have released the PS3 last year and made use of currently availble DVD tech with plans for the PS4 to make use of the (by that time) 4 years standarized blue laser disc tech (as would every other console).

Edited by twistedsymphony, 15 August 2006 - 05:43 PM.

#26 guidop

guidop

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:34 PM

sony have really got to clear some things up. this, the rumours about cell at 2.8ghz instead of 3.2ghz.

#27 Kira Yamoto

Kira Yamoto

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:30 PM

I already know the DVD history. Even though DVD was standardized back then, it was still pretty expensive tech (which was a big point i tried to make), and could have installed a CD instead. That's what I meant by future proofing, they went ahead, and used DVD, even though it was expensive because that was the future format, the next-gen media of choice. They released DVD on the PS2 at a loss and in turn became successful because of it.

Remember that I dug up the 1996 1st gen dvd player reports and in the process..........

#28 Reaper527

Reaper527

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,499 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE(Kira Yamoto @ Aug 16 2006, 10:37 AM) View Post

Even though DVD was standardized back then, it was still pretty expensive tech (which was a big point i tried to make), and could have installed a CD instead. That's what I meant by future proofing, they went ahead, and used DVD, even though it was expensive because that was the future format

yes, and my point was that DVD at the time was the future format at the time, it was well known it was the future format at the time, and there was no doubt it would succeed, and it had no compitition. it made sense to put it in there.

i will repeat myself, Blueray does NOT have that next gen distinction. it does have competition, it may fail, theres no guarentee that sony's "future proofing" as you like to call it, doesn't consist of putting a useless drive in the ps3 to help promote blueray. sony has a long list of failed media's. i'll start with

betamax - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax
minidisc - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiniDisc
UMD - http://en.wikipedia....rsal_Media_Disc

lets just say sony does NOT have a good track record with this stuff. the blueray player is in the ps3 for 2 reasons, and 2 reasons only,

1. to force blueray into peoples homes and try to give it a heads up
2. to say "ps3 has blueray out of the box and 360 doesn't", even though your paying for it in the end and not getting any deal over the 360.

also, lets not forget the craptacular dvd drives the ps2's shipped with, is there any guarentee that the blueray player won't be equally terrible?

Edited by Reaper527, 16 August 2006 - 04:02 PM.

#29 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(Kira Yamoto @ Aug 16 2006, 03:37 PM) View Post

I already know the DVD history. Even though DVD was standardized back then, it was still pretty expensive tech (which was a big point i tried to make), and could have installed a CD instead. That's what I meant by future proofing, they went ahead, and used DVD, even though it was expensive because that was the future format, the next-gen media of choice. They released DVD on the PS2 at a loss and in turn became successful because of it.

Remember that I dug up the 1996 1st gen dvd player reports and in the process..........

Even with that being said there is another HUGE difference between then and now. Back then sony gave devs the option to make games on CDs instead of DVDs (to make things cheaper) unlike the ps3, everybody has to use blu ray whether they like it or not. Now if sony took that approach this generation then it would downplay their push to make Blu Rays win the war and it would make games cheaper and overall better for everyone. So its in their best interest to force ppl to use blu ray and blame it on piracy. They kno what they are doing by making ppl believe Blu Ray is needed.

Truth is blu ray/Hd dvd is not NEEDED by anyone but to some its is WANTED. You mentioned the itagaki statement as an example but that is also an example of of wanting and not needing. Despite not getting HD DVD he is still happy. Sometimes less is more, get what im saying?

Edited by incognegro, 16 August 2006 - 04:22 PM.

#30 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE(Kira Yamoto @ Aug 14 2006, 12:44 AM) View Post

I dunno though, they still could possibly find a way to get non-mpeg2 1080p to display, as its going to be in MGS4, but its not like they're gonna share their secrets. We still don't know how powerful RSX can be, in a system thats designed specifically for games.

its because of those words right there that prove how little you actually know. if you believe for a second that MGS4 is going to be 1080p or that they have "secrets" your sorely mistaken. also there are many who believe that sony built the ps3 based around its unproven technology rather then gaming. if sony really built the ps3 for gaming first and everything else second they would not have included the Cell chip and made developers lives even harder. the ps3, for sony, is their trojan horse to push their technology out in the industry and penetrate a market that would otherwise not warm up so fast to it. the ONLY thing in the ps3 built for gaming is the RSX chip and that baby was slapped in at the last minute

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users