Photo

What Is The Correct Way To Attach The 360 To The Pc?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 metaphaze

metaphaze

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 03:30 PM

Last night I attempted to flash the firmware on my Xbox 360. However before even getting to that point my Xbox 360 died. I got a RoL error, which broke down to Code 0001. I figured it was the power supply but this morning I tried my 360 on another known working PSU and the 360 still gave out the error code.

Knowing this I figured I must of fried the unit some how and I'm trying to figure out how I hooked up my unit to the PC incorrectly that caused the damage (I'm assuming thats what did it.)

Anyway this is what I did;

1.) Powered off 360
2.) Powered off PC
3.) Neither unit is plugged in to the wall
4.) Unplugged the SATA cable from the Hitachi Drive
5.) Plugged in the SATA cable from my PC to the Hitachi drive
6.) Took a RCA cable (yellow video cable) and cut back the shielding on it. I Then used it as a ground wire from the metal frame on the side of the 360 to the Screw holding the CD Rom drive in my PC.
7.) I plugged in the Xbox 360 powered it on
8.) I plugged in the PC and powered it on.

Now the real kicker is I didn't notice when the RoL came on. I don't know if I damaged it when opening the unit or if I damaged it when I was connecting it to the PC.

I am going to replace my 360 this afternoon and hopefully try this again. Any insight to help me avoid frying another $400 piece of equipment would be much appreciated!

#2 Gabbiani

Gabbiani

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 03:44 PM

Some people don't think you need the ground. I used one.

While it sounds like you grounded it, how was it actually attached to the 360 frame? This could have been your problem.

What is code 0001? I haven't looked them up.

Did you stab it with a screwdriver or something?

#3 metaphaze

metaphaze

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE(Gabbiani @ Aug 11 2006, 09:51 AM) View Post

Some people don't think you need the ground. I used one.

While it sounds like you grounded it, how was it actually attached to the 360 frame? This could have been your problem.

What is code 0001? I haven't looked them up.

Did you stab it with a screwdriver or something?

Code 0001 is a PSU Fault. I had the copper wire just wrapped around the metal on the frame. It looked like a good connection.

While attemping to break the shell in half it is possible the screw driver slipped and hit inside where the power cable plugs in at, but I don't notice any physical damage.

#4 Gabbiani

Gabbiani

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 04:19 PM

Hmmm. Get the multimeter and start checkign stuff. Since the PSU worked on another xbox... something is screwy.

Wrapping the wire doesn't sound like a real good contact. I used a bolt/nut and tightened it down on the metal part. And since you are trying on another one soon, I might suggest using a screw on your pc power supply. CDrom "should" be enough. But you know.

#5 metaphaze

metaphaze

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE(Gabbiani @ Aug 11 2006, 10:26 AM) View Post

Hmmm. Get the multimeter and start checkign stuff. Since the PSU worked on another xbox... something is screwy.

Wrapping the wire doesn't sound like a real good contact. I used a bolt/nut and tightened it down on the metal part. And since you are trying on another one soon, I might suggest using a screw on your pc power supply. CDrom "should" be enough. But you know.

I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to help me out with this. I just hope I can get it to work this time without frying another one! laugh.gif

ETA: You think maybe grounding it to the Heatsinks screws underneath work work pretty good?

Edited by metaphaze, 11 August 2006 - 05:00 PM.

#6 metaphaze

metaphaze

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:05 PM

Ok here goes I got another 360 and I'm going to attempt this again. One last question on Page 34 of the big PDF tut it says "Keep the power connector plugged in your Xbox 360" What the heck does this mean? Does this mean while taking the unit apart I should have power going to the unit?

ETA: Is it ok to Flash the drive before I congifure the time zone and other dashboard stuff?

Edited by metaphaze, 11 August 2006 - 11:05 PM.

#7 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE(metaphaze @ Aug 11 2006, 05:12 PM) View Post
Keep the power connector plugged in your Xbox 360"

maybe that grounds it?

#8 metaphaze

metaphaze

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:20 AM

Ok well now I have it opened up, and have powered it on to make sure it still works. The unit works fine. Now I just need to find a place to ground it. Can some of you guys give me some recommendations on where to ground it on the 360 and the PC?

#9 phantastica

phantastica

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:31 AM

You would be stupid to not ground it. I was stupid and was rewarded with a nasty burning smell coming from my SATA card after being powered up for about 2 minutes. This was followed by the pc powering itself down while it was just sitting at a dos prompt. Clearly, this was caused by not having a common ground. I was lucky that nothing was damaged.

I ran some speaker wire wrapped through one of the little metal holes in the side of the 360 and wrapped the other end around part of the chassis in my case. It didn't smoke after that.

#10 metaphaze

metaphaze

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 02:52 AM

Ok good news and bad news. I was able to flash my drive.

Once I was done flashing it I powered off my PC, then powered off the X-Box. Now BIOS still sees the drive, however Windows dosn't. Any ideas?

Edited by metaphaze, 12 August 2006 - 03:03 AM.

#11 jackmegood

jackmegood

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:23 AM

QUOTE(metaphaze @ Aug 12 2006, 01:59 AM) View Post

Ok good news and bad news. I was able to flash my drive.

Once I was done flashing it I powered off my PC, then powered off the X-Box. Now BIOS still sees the drive, however Windows dosn't. Any ideas?

Try updating your SATA drivers in Windows. Also, did you flash it with the 0800 firmware?

#12 metaphaze

metaphaze

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:26 AM

QUOTE(jackmegood @ Aug 11 2006, 09:30 PM) View Post

Try updating your SATA drivers in Windows. Also, did you flash it with the 0800 firmware?

I don't understand what you mean by updating my SATA drivers. If I have two SATA HD's in RAID 0 that work fine, and I saw the Hitachi drive in Windows prior to the restart what would be wrong with my drivers? I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all or anything I'm just curious. I don't want to interupt the stability of my PC.

I did not flash with 0800 firmware, I used GaryOpa's 2.1 Firmware for the Hitachi drives.

#13 jackmegood

jackmegood

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:31 AM

QUOTE(metaphaze @ Aug 12 2006, 02:33 AM) View Post

I don't understand what you mean by updating my SATA drivers. If I have two SATA HD's in RAID 0 that work fine, and I saw the Hitachi drive in Windows prior to the restart what would be wrong with my drivers? I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all or anything I'm just curious. I don't want to interupt the stability of my PC.

I did not flash with 0800 firmware, I used GaryOpa's 2.1 Firmware for the Hitachi drives.

No offense taken. I didn't realize that you saw it in Windows before you reflashed it.

#14 metaphaze

metaphaze

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:44 AM

QUOTE(jackmegood @ Aug 11 2006, 09:38 PM) View Post

No offense taken. I didn't realize that you saw it in Windows before you reflashed it.

Well after reading GaryOpa's instructions again I powered off the PC, and then ejected the tray on the 360. Once I did that I unpluged it while on. I then re-plugged the power back on and turned the 360 on. Although Gary's instructions indicate that the tray should remain open it didn't. However even though it autoclosed during the power on phase I can now see it in Windows again.

So I guess I want to make sure the flash was successful, is there anyway to check that? I took one of my games and am going to attempt to back it up. I ran the GETSS program and this is the results I got

C:\X-LG>GETSS.EXE G SS.BIN
spectrum4eva SS dumper for firmware f900
-------------------------------------
id: d5
type: 3
nn0: 0
seems OK
id: f3
type: 1
seems OK
id: 71
type: 3
seems OK
id: c9
type: 1
seems OK
id: 37
type: 7
seems OK
id: 79
type: 5
seems OK
id: a7
type: 7
seems OK
id: 88
type: 5
seems OK
id: bc
type: 0
seems OK
id: 73
type: e0
seems OK
id: 3c
type: f0
challenge 3c not supported (type f0):
id: 13
type: f0
challenge 13 not supported (type f0):
id: 7a
type: f6
challenge 7a not supported (type f6):
id: 29
type: fe
challenge 29 not supported (type fe):
id: ca
type: fe
challenge ca not supported (type fe):
id: 87
type: f7
challenge 87 not supported (type f7):
id: b9
type: f5
challenge b9 not supported (type f5):
id: 8e
type: fd
challenge 8e not supported (type fd):
id: 2b
type: f9
challenge 2b not supported (type f9):
id: 4a
type: fd
challenge 4a not supported (type fd):
id: d3
type: f4
challenge d3 not supported (type f4):
id: 0
challenge 0 not supported (type 0):
id: 0
challenge 0 not supported (type 0):

ss dumped succefully to SS.BIN, with 10 challenges/responses

Does that look ok or normal?

#15 illmatik

illmatik

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:35 AM

I just looked in my dad's toolbox and found a wire with a metal clamp on each end. Connected the Xbox chassis to the PC's and i've flashed over ten 360's successfully.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users