CompFreak07

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:45 PM

I was reading another post about dvd region free possiblities with firmware. Here is what he suggested. The region settings are on the bios as we know but he was saying hack the firmware to report whatever region the console is that region of whatever disc goes in the xbox 360 regardless what region. I was thinking maybe the same could be done for games? Is this possible?

#2 Gabbiani

Gabbiani

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:51 PM

Well, I guess this could be somewhat legit.

Most people wanting region free are the ones browsing torrents and seeing all the PAL files when they need NTSC etc.

Most people won't have retail imports to back up.

However, for those few people that do want an import (for whatever reason) I guess they can't play it even if it is a retail copy....

I know nothing about firmware, but I assume that eventually someone will find a way to spoof it to report region 1 (or whatever) straight to the CPU no matter what the disk is.

I know that with a modchip you can play any region on XBOX1.

#3 Exobex

Exobex

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:17 PM

For region hacking they'll have to hack the 360 motherboard rather than the DVD drive. Region coding will be carried by the XEX files (which are signed). Even if the DVD drive could intercept XEX files and change their region, this would break the signature.

How feasible this is depends on how the 360 stores its region info. In the case of the original Xbox this was on the EEPROM, so a PIC could have been used to rewrite the region code, had the whole system not been blown wide open first laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users