5 replies to this topic

#1 Caldor

Caldor

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 05:30 AM

So I'm figuring out what to do with either a Ps3 or 360 purchase. The fact the Ps3 has hdmi v1.3 and hdcp features is compelling from a HT perspective but:

1. Has Sony said that the dashboard will feature bluray title playback including the *FULL* optional blu ray menu features? I understand not all BR players support this......

2. Will Sony support HD VC-1 playback?

3. I assume the PS3 will playback DVD mpeg2 material and menus?

4. Just exactly how open will the ps3 be? With this stuff about unix on it, will it run homebrew outta the box?

Given I'm on Team XBMC thinking down this line I feel a bit lousy about thinking of jumping the fence....Though I was reading on a blog that maybe MS may release a HDMI 360???

I really feel that MS have let down the users by not supporting hdcp.

#2 Kira Yamoto

Kira Yamoto

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:29 AM

2. Will Sony support HD VC-1 playback?

This is standard on all BR players. So yes it will be on the PS3. The only thing about VC-1 is that its up to the studios to release VC-1 content, not Sony. If some Joe-Blow user got a hold of a blu-ray recorder, and re-encoded something to VC-1, and put it in BR format, it will play.

3. I assume the PS3 will playback DVD mpeg2 material and menus?

At least I think it should. PS3 is going to be designed to be backwards compatiable w/ DVDs (for PS2) so being able to read DVD's for PS2 games should be the same for a movie. If not, there could possibly be updates thru the net.

Given I'm on Team XBMC thinking down this line I feel a bit lousy about thinking of jumping the fence....Though I was reading on a blog that maybe MS may release a HDMI 360???

Don't count on it. Don't worry about HDCP because studios at the moment have decided NOT to release ICT protection and it should last for a long time. They can't alienate the older and early adopters of HDtv's, that would mean alienating a lot of people. Either way, MS's HDDVD was supposed to play it back in full-res regardless, at least thats from what I heard (from MS's official statements)

#3 Exist2Resist

Exist2Resist

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:33 PM

I know for a fact that earlier of this year, the MS team had a prototype of a 360 mobo with an HDMI connection, i have seen this with my own eyes. Now i dont know if they will be still releasing this new version of the xbox 360, or if they will be putting hdmi right on the HDDVD add on. So more than likely yes there is an HDMI in the 360's future.

#4 Mr Invader

Mr Invader

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:04 AM

QUOTE(Exist2Resist @ Aug 14 2006, 06:40 AM) View Post

I know for a fact that earlier of this year, the MS team had a prototype of a 360 mobo with an HDMI connection, i have seen this with my own eyes. Now i dont know if they will be still releasing this new version of the xbox 360, or if they will be putting hdmi right on the HDDVD add on. So more than likely yes there is an HDMI in the 360's future.

From what i here its possible to just make a cord that has an HDMI plug on it that would work the same

correct me if i'm wrong, but i heard it from a developer

#5 ikecomp

ikecomp

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE(Mr Invader @ Aug 24 2006, 08:11 PM) View Post

From what i here its possible to just make a cord that has an HDMI plug on it that would work the same

correct me if i'm wrong, but i heard it from a developer

I don't think that would work. Plus you would get no added benefit from the HDMI connection if it did work. Currently the 360 is only outputting an analog signal and since HDMI is a full digital signal I would think you would have problems displaying content on it. Let alone, at its full digital potential. So unless MS releases some type of patch allowing the 360 to output a digital signal you would still get the same analog signal going to your tv but with a HDMI connection instead of component.

#6 drukenslob

drukenslob

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:48 AM

Same here Caldor,

I dont know which one I want yet. I got a xbox for XBMC and love it.

But I dont just want a games machine. I would love to see some development on the PS3 becuase although I dont like playstations the potential on an PS3 is far greater... gigabit ethernet, 7*3.2Ghz 6*usb and hdmi???

dont quote me on those but from what Ive read anyway???

It would be far more powerful and also I would rather back blu-ray (PS3) than hd-dvd (XB360)

Only time will tell and Im waiting !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users