nes6502

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 05:08 PM

ZsnexBox 2.5

What's New:

-Added a higher quality Zelda animation (higher resolution and more frames) to the Zelda skin

-Fixed a bug that was causing garbage to be written to the ZsnexBox.ini. Hopefully this
will fix the problem some people were getting with changing the skin.

-Fixed a savestate loading bug that would cause a crash in Super Mario Kart and Pilotwings.

-Added skin previews for the skin selection menu.

-Tweaked the GUi a little.

-Updated the FAQ

-Added the ability to specify exactly how many frames the rombrowser animation is. This can only be set in the ini and not in the GUI. Each skin will only load the exact amount of frames specified. This cuts down on the memory usage for the Metroid and Zelda skins. Animations up to 18 frames are supported.

Installation:

Upgrade:
Delete your previous ZsnexBox24.ini
Delete your previous skin directory.
Copy the archive contents over your previous installation directory
Run default.xbe to start the emulator

New Install:
Copy the archive contents to you Xbox
Run default.xbe to start the emulator

#2 Retroplay

Retroplay

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 13 August 2006 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE(Retroplay @ Aug 13 2006, 05:00 PM) View Post

Excellent work as always nes6502 smile.gif
I just thought of something but don't know if it's possible.
Some SNES games like Super Ghouls' n Ghosts and Super R-Type suffers from serious slowdowns now and then (also on real SNES hardware) then I came to think of what XPort did with NeoGenesis and the overclock option.
Is that even a possibility ?
The 65816 is capable of running faster just take a look at the Commodore 64 Super CPU which is running at 20Mhz(!).
Just a thought. beerchug.gif

Just quoted from the obsolete Zsnexbox 2.4 thread. jester.gif

#3 Grudge

Grudge

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 13 August 2006 - 05:28 PM

hey nes6502; dunno if theresis an option for this yet as i cant find it.... havent upgraded to the new build yet..... but could you make an option to adjust the sensitivity of the L/R triggers. as accidentaly hitting it barely is annoying with some games (dragon quest)

#4 Sirmatto

Sirmatto

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 05:32 PM

Wow, I go to Xbins to get v2.4 and see v2.5 instead. There's no news about it yet, so I was pleasantly surprised. Thanks a lot for this one!

#5 Adropacrich2

Adropacrich2

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:47 PM

Somthing that isn't exactly a problem but is a little bit fiddly at times is when selecting a game from the rombrowser - the selected game highlite is at the top of the list and not centre.If you scroll past a game accidentlly and it then ends up above the game select mark , you dont know how many spaces above the mark it is in contrast to if you scroll past a game and the game ends up being below the mark.Making this central eliminates this minor inconvenience of tracking a game should you over shoot it.

Not the biggest problem in the world i know but worth mentioning i think because it doesn't need to be this tiny bit frustrating.Unless there is an option that i have been stupid not to have noticed.

thanks

Edited by Adropacrich2, 13 August 2006 - 06:48 PM.

#6 fosamax

fosamax

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:07 PM

Zsnexbox is now really the best Snes emu available for the xbox but theres's one option which is available for the win32 version and I was hoping you could consider adding it in a future release : it's the opportunity to turn on/off the different sound channels (I think there's 8 sound channels onto the snes) so that you can just play those separately. The same option can be used in order to display separetely the different layers of the graphics (it can be usefull to turn light on in games like Zelda 3 or Yoshi's Island when you're in a cavern...). I really hope you could add something like this under an extra menu like "game music" or "game graphics". In fact, i don't know if people other than me used to tweak with those options on Zsnes for win32 but i think it could be great and perhaps not to hard to implement and probably more usefull than netplay support but perhaps i'm wrong.

Anyway, great work with your port. smile.gif

#7 nes6502

nes6502

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE(fosamax @ Aug 13 2006, 07:14 PM) View Post

Zsnexbox is now really the best Snes emu available for the xbox but theres's one option which is available for the win32 version and I was hoping you could consider adding it in a future release : it's the opportunity to turn on/off the different sound channels (I think there's 8 sound channels onto the snes) so that you can just play those separately. The same option can be used in order to display separetely the different layers of the graphics (it can be usefull to turn light on in games like Zelda 3 or Yoshi's Island when you're in a cavern...). I really hope you could add something like this under an extra menu like "game music" or "game graphics". In fact, i don't know if people other than me used to tweak with those options on Zsnes for win32 but i think it could be great and perhaps not to hard to implement and probably more usefull than netplay support but perhaps i'm wrong.

Anyway, great work with your port. smile.gif

What do you mean, "turn light on" for Zelda or Yoshi's Island? I know there are rooms that are in the dark and you have to light torches, but how would enabling/disabling background layers change the lighting?

#8 genjuro123

genjuro123

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:45 PM

hi nes,

first let me give you credits for this awsome "attempt" to port zsnes for the xbox wich turned out to be a great succes.I absolutly love it.
I have a question if you donīt mind. Is it possible to support multiple image paths? Like a folder for title images and one for covers etc., like in mameox. I know that the xport emus do support multiple images. Is this possible or would that demand to much memory.

Thanks again from me and all german user pop.gif

#9 fosamax

fosamax

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:53 PM

Sorry if I didn't reply immediatly, I was gone away. There's some levels were you have some kind of mask wich is used to simulate the dark in the room and the fact you're carrying your torch. You can see that effect in the sanctuary in zelda 3 for example. When you turn off one layer, it just removethat mask and you can see as if you had turned light on without having to use magic to put fire on the torch wich usually stand in the corners on the rooms. I really think it works like a B/W mask where Black is fully opaque and White is fully transparent.

For the sound channels, I used to try to turnsome channels off to simulate the real sound of my personnel snes wich was in some a little broken and didnt play all the the sound channels. By turning one or two channels off, I was able to play my games the way they were playing with my real deffective snes.

By the way, will you consider adding a virtual keybord for the cheat search option. Naming the cheat codes is not rally user friendly currently.

Please forgive me for my english but it's not my native language.

Keep up the good work.

I would really like to thank you for the feedback you give to the users of Zsnexbox.

If you want, I could try to make you a screenshot of the effect of the layer being disabled but I don't really know how to use Imagestack or something similar but I'm going to look for that.

#10 fosamax

fosamax

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:54 PM

I'd just tried turning off layers off in Zelda 3 and you're right nes, it doesn't magically turn light on. So I was wrong on that game but it works well with SMW2 Yoshi's Island as you can see on those 2 screenshots

Screenshot 1 : All layers turned on

IPB Image

Screenshot 2 : Layer 3 off

IPB Image

It's not really usefull here but it's the first level where I was able to produce the effect

For Zelda 3 , I think I used to play with the layers to make visible the invisible floors in some castles (those floors were visible only when you were lighting on all the torch in a room or for a small amount of time when you were using the magic "ether")

This is also a usefull option to capture and edit sprites.

Thanks.

#11 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:02 PM

Zsnexbox v2.6 has now been released. Please direct any further comments, suggestions, or questions to the new thread here: Zsnexbox v2.6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users