Chod

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:44 PM

Hey guys,

Just thought id post my short success story and my findings in the hopes they may help someone else.

The opening of the 360 was pretty easy. The hardest part was removing the gray grills at the top and bottom of the 360. But there is a really good tutorial in the tutorials sticky thread on this forum that shows you step by step how to take it apart.

Because i have a Hitachi/LG drive i had to get the drive into Mode-B before being able to flash it. To do this i decided that the 2-wire technique was too risky so i downloaded and burnt the specially modified Slax cd (also in one of the tutorials in the sticky thread). I used a pair of aligator clips connected by a wire to ground the case of the 360 to the case of the computer i was booting from.

First attempt, i ran the slax cd on a Asus nforce4 SLI mobo (A8n-e) and although the bios found the drive, Slax didnt and was unable to put it into mode-b.

Second, attempt was in my server (Asus P4c800-e mobo) and it worked a treat. Bios detected it, Slax found it and stuck it into mode-b. I rebooted the pc and i booted windows without any dramas.

From here i ran Gary Opa's v2.1 batch file. It took about 2 - 3 mins and did 9 steps. I backed up the files that the OPA batch script made and shutdown the pc and 360.

Put everythign back together and backups work 100%!!!

To do the backups i use Verbatim DVD+R DL on a Pioneer 109 which automatically sets the booktype to DVD-ROM.

If you have troubles with Slax booting with some error message like 'IRQ Disabled' over and over then when it is about to boot and comes up with the first command prompt, type in 'slax irqpoll' and you should get around the IRQ Disabled problems. You have about 2 seconds to start typing otherwise it will begin booting its default routines. Also ensure that Plug N Play OS is enabled in your bios. This tip is thanks to one of the forums users, just thought id re-iterate it because i had this problem.

One problem i have found is that every now and then when i boot up the 360, it comes up with an error 74, but so far all i have had to do to get around it was to reboot and it booted fine.

Hope something in here helps, too many stories of bricked 360s and not enough success stories. Be warned it is a risky process. There is a lot that can go wrong if you don't follow the tutorials to the letter.

Ohh one more thing, if you want to know if your 360 dvd-rom goes into mode-b, the easiest way to tell is to try to eject the tray. If its in mode-b you will have strange tray behavior. It may take 2 tries to eject or to insert the tray. Something i found useful coz slax zooms past too fast to read if it was successful.

Enjoy,

Chod.

Edited by Chod, 13 August 2006 - 11:51 PM.

#2 hyperice

hyperice

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:33 AM

What is (Asus P4c800-e mobo)?

I'm a total NOOB...is that the type of computer you have? or the settings u use??

Any help plz..

I Got a Hitachi 47dj too...

#3 SCSI

SCSI

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE(hyperice @ Aug 13 2006, 07:40 PM) View Post

It is the motherboard that he is using inside his PC.

#4 hyperice

hyperice

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:38 AM

how do i know what motherboard i'm using??

#5 Chod

Chod

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:47 AM

If you open up the side of your computer case you should be able to read the model and brand off of the motherboard. It is usually in bold writing somewhere on the actual board near the center... or sometimes near the RAM.

However, I don't mean to offend, but modding isnt an easy and riskfree process. If your not up to speed with general techy stuff, i would recommend waiting till a better, easier to install solution becomes available.

#6 metaphaze

metaphaze

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE(hyperice @ Aug 13 2006, 05:40 PM) View Post

I'm a total NOOB...is that the type of computer you have? or the settings u use??

Any help plz..

I Got a Hitachi 47dj too...

I flashed a 47dj with the Asus P4C800-e.

Worked fine, used the original Slax disc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users