metaphaze

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:35 AM

====================================
MetaPhaze’s guide for backing up Xbox 360 Games
With Hitachi 47DJ’s (Possibly other Hitachi Drives)
V1.1 / 08-14-2006

Index
1.) Tools Needed
2.) Intro
3.) Getting the SS.BIN
4.) Ripping the game with Wxripper
5.) CRC Errors
6.) Merging the ISO with the SS.BIN
7.) Burning
8.) Thank you

Tools Needed
Patience (Yes, you need this!)
Drive Tools
Wxripper
Xbox 360 SS Merger
CloneCD

Intro
This guide is to help people with OPA - Xtreme v2.1 firmware - Hitachi 7in1 firmware. Many are having problems not flashing the drive, but backing up their original game. Follow this guide and you should come out with a good backup that will play in your Xbox 360. I plan on updating this guide with pictures and more detailed information in the near future as time permits.

First thing is first you need to have your drive flashed with OPA - Xtreme v2.1 firmware - Hitachi 7in1 firmware. To do this follow the instructions included with the firmware in the !README! file.

If your having problems getting Windows to detect the Hitachi drive after the flash make sure to re-read the !README! file. As it states with the PC and Xbox 360 already off. Power on the Xbox 360 and eject the disc tray. For some reason on mine I have to push it twice. Once the tray is ejected unplug the power from the back of the Xbox 360. Now plug it back in, and power up the Xbox 360. With a successful flash this will put your Hitachi drive in Mode B.

Now at this point you should be able to see your Hitachi drive in Windows. Put your Xbox 360 game in to the Hitachi drive. You should see in “My Computer” that it says you have a XBOX360 game in your Hitachi drive.

Getting the SS.BIN
Now we need to extract the SS information from the disc. To do this simply open up Drive Tools. Once drive tools is open you should see a button that says “Get Security Sector”. Click this button. This will now prompt you to safe the Security Sector file. You will want to name the file SS.BIN.

Now at your option you can remove the Xbox 360 from your computer, as you will no longer need it. Or you can leave it connected that is up to you. To remove it from your computer please power off the computer first, then power off the Xbox 360 and disconnect the SATA cable and the ground.

Ripping the game with Wxripper
The next thing we need to do is dump the data off your original Xbox 360 game. To do this we need a spare DVD drive or your current one to take apart. Now I have not taken apart every DVD drive apart so I can't help you with your specific drive. I have taken apart Pioneers DVR105 and 111D and they work great. Basically remove the drive from your PC. Flip the drive upside down. You should now see 4-6 screws holding the bottom metal plate to the rest of the drive. Remove these screws. Take apart your DVD player so you no longer have the top half of the DVD drive. Hopefully you have a magnetic system to hold your DVD in your DVD drive. To find out take the small circle piece (may be part of a smaller metal plate inside the drive) and hold it over the black circular part that your DVD disc sits on. If its magnetic your all set to go, if its mechanical good luck, I couldn't get my other mechanical drive DVD drive to hold the disc down it kept flying out of the drive.

Now that you have the drive apart replace by just setting the drive on the bottom metal plate that you took off first so you have it sitting on a good surface. Reconnect the drive to your computer (obviously leaving it outside of your computer so you can access it.

Now you need to run wxripper to rip the game. To do this place a large DVD movie in your DVD drive. I used Empire which is 7.9GB. Some say the DVD has to be 8GB or larger, but I've had success with DVD Movies as small as 7.4GB.

Once you have inserted the DVD Movie in to your DVD drive start wxripper.

You should now see wxripper opened on your desktop and should look something like this;

IPB Image

Now click the drop down box to select the drive that the movie is inserted in to.

Then under the hotswap drop down menu select "Find Magic Number". You should now see a bunch of information populate the large box in the middle.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Now go back to the hotswap drop down menu and select Stop Drive. Your drive should now stop spinning. Do not attempt to remove a DVD from the drive while its spinning.

At this point you need to remove the DVD movie WITHOUT EJECTING THE DISC. To do this simply remove the magnet holding down the DVD movie and replace it with your Xbox 360 game, then replace the magnet again. Now click Spin drive, the drive should spin back up again.

Now we can begin dumping the Xbox 360 Disc. I say disc because we are not just dumping the game, we are dumping the whole disc, game, video, audio, and the blank sectors of the disc. To do this click the File drop down menu and Start Dump, and save the file. If you have no CRC errors skip ahead to the SS merger section.

IPB Image

CRC Errors
If you have CRC errors don't fret not all is lost like I original thought. The first thing that is most important is MAKE SURE THE ORIGINAL XBOX 360 GAME IS CLEAN! I can't stress this enough. Most of all my CRC errors were caused by smudges and scratches on my original game. If you still get CRC errors then we need to make some changes to Wxripper. Once your done dumping the game and wxripper has returned CRC errors go to the File drop down menu in wxripper and select "Save layout file". Now open the layout file with Notepad, it should look like this;

C19408
D1072
C109344
C1783936
J309536
C1783936
J0

Now please read Psoff's description on CRC errors and how to correct them, if you don't understand what he has said keep reading to my explanation on how to edit.

QUOTE(Psoff)
Hey everyone. Here are some quick tips for people getting CRC errors on certain games using wxRipper.

Regarding the layout file:

- Usually the first 3 lines are like this:

* C19408
* D1072
* C109344

- People say to change them to this (bold represents the changes):

* D19408 <- D = Dummy instead of C (Copy)
* D1072 <- Same as original
* D109344 <- D= Dummy instead of C (Copy)

In this case, all you're doing is 'faking' the first three lines. I figured out that 9 out of 10 problems occur at the 3rd line, so that's really the only one you need to Dummy. Therefore:

- Most of the time this will work (bold represents the only change):

* C19408 <- Same as original
* D1072 <- Same as original
* D109344 <- D = Dummy instead of C (Copy)

This way you get more of the original information. I'm not sure if this matters, but I say more is better when it comes to duplicating a game.

If you want to go even further:

- Since I noticed most people (myself included) occasionally get a CRC error at 91136, escpeically on games like Tomb Raider and Hitman, I use this layout (replace first 3 lines with these 4):

* C19408 <- Same as orignal
* D1072 <- Same as orignal
* C91135 <- Original used to be C109344, which I split into 2 parts, stopping at 1 byte before my CRC error @ 91136
* D18209 <- Dummy the remainder of the part that gives the error. 18209 (this line) + 91135 (previous line) = 109344 (original number)

Hope this helps!

What Psoff is saying in the last section is take the third line in the layout file which should be 109344 and subtract the number that gave you the error in the case he is describing that would be 91135 (he got the error at 91136). If you do the math

109344 - 91135 = 18209.

Now that we have those two number the number right before the error and the diffrence we need to edit the layout file.

So edit the third line C109344 and put in C91135 in its place. Then ADD THIS LINE inbetween the third and fourth line D18209 (the diffrence).

Once you have made the adjustments to the layout file go back to wxripper and click the file drop down menu and select open layout file. You should now see at the top of wxripper it says you have the layout file selected. Now re-dump the game.

This method has corrrected the problems with the two games I had problems ripping Hitman & Dead Rising (besides the dirty ones) Below you will find a copy of my layout file for each of those games.

Dead Rising Layout file
C19408
D1072
C89087
D20257
C1783936
J309536
C1783936
J0

Hitman Layout file
C19408
D1072
C91135
D18209
C1783936
J309536
C1783936
J0

Merging the ISO with the SS.BIN
Now at this point you should have two files. A SS.BIN and a game.iso. Now we need to merge these two files together. To do this open Xbox 360 SS Merger. Click the … buton next to ISO file and select your game.iso. Then click the … buton next to SS file. Finally click Merge and create layer break file. Once completed you should now have a game.dvd file.

IPB Image

Burning
At this point your all set for burning. Open up CloneCD select Write to a disc, and select the game.dvd file. Burn it at the slowest speed (2.4x) with DVD+R DL Media. I have only used a Pioneer DVR111D to burn my X360 games. So I can not comment on other DVD Burners and Booksetting issues. However one misconception I want to clear up right now is you do not need a special firmware on your 111D drive despite what everyone keeps telling you. The proof is in the pudding, I have backed up successfully 9 of my original Xbox 360 games without issues using my 111D with the old stock firmware.

Thank You
People listed here are thanked in no specific order for helping me get to this point;
GaryOpa, Psoff, Gabbiani, creators of the tools used, and everyone on Xbox-Scene.com for contributing information. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask in this thread. Please do not PM me with question.

#2 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:42 AM

looks good... after a few member posts stating it works, i will throw it in the backup FAQ for the first hitatchi game backup tutorial!

nice job.

#3 metaphaze

metaphaze

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:05 AM

QUOTE(ILLusions0fGrander @ Aug 14 2006, 07:49 PM) View Post

looks good... after a few member posts stating it works, i will throw it in the backup FAQ for the first hitatchi game backup tutorial!

nice job.

Thanks for the positive remarks! I'm positive anyone who follows this guide will be able to burn games that will play on their Hitachi, 100% sure.

#4 FatSean

FatSean

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:30 AM

I just opened up my 110D again hoping that you can help. I am using a 7.95gb (which was supposedly filled to the red line in nero with data) data backup as my swap disc. I am trying to back up Moto GP.

I find this is a very frustrating method because even if I get CRC errors, wxripper still wants to proceed and try ripping the rest of the disc, which is a long process. And there's no way to stop it. So bear with me.

Here are the results of my first run, without any modifications to the layout file.

C19408
D1072
C109344
C1783936
J345536
C1783936
J0

Found magic number : 345536
2:00:34 AM -> Start
Error @ 0 : Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Error @ 11264 : Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Error @ 93184 : Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Error @ 524288 : Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

2:11:14 AM -> Done

Output file is 1.20Gb.

So I modify the layout file and try it again. Second try:

D19408
D1072
D109344
C1783936
J345536
C1783936
J0

Well, this time its giving me a lot more trouble. The drive spins up, the laser goes back and forth accross the disk and seems like its searching for something, and then spins back down. Then it spins back up, starts searching again, and eventually spins back down. Not sure whats going on or why its having trouble. The drive works flawleslly for normal things. The disc is brand new and doesn't have a single scratch or smudge. It does this for about 5 minutes and then gives up.

Found magic number : 345536
2:16:17 AM -> Start

2:20:08 AM -> Done

Output file is 253mb. See why I hate wxripper?

Edited by Chancer, 15 August 2006 - 07:33 AM.

#5 metaphaze

metaphaze

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:56 AM

I've noticed in the past when the laser goes back and forth all is lost and its time to try again. If you could post a Screen Shot of your wxripper session with the errors it would probably help me a bit more since its 0147. But anyway try this lay out and see if it works;

D19408
D1072
D109344
C524287
D1259649
J345536
C1783936
J0

#6 Ahrimanes

Ahrimanes

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:42 PM

How do I know the DVD is large enough?

#7 metaphaze

metaphaze

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE(Ahrimanes @ Aug 15 2006, 09:49 AM) View Post

How do I know the DVD is large enough?

Gael360 the creator of wxripper original stated you needed a DVD ~7.5GB. Now others are suggesting 8GB. I have been successful with 7.9GB DVD.

#8 Ahrimanes

Ahrimanes

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE(metaphaze @ Aug 15 2006, 05:21 PM) View Post

Gael360 the creator of wxripper original stated you needed a DVD ~7.5GB. Now others are suggesting 8GB. I have been successful with 7.9GB DVD.

I first tryed a 7.3GB disc and wxripper prompted that it wasn't large enough, then I tryed a 7.44GB disc and I could get the magic number. Does that mean it is large enough? Or is it impossible to know before you have a working backup disc?

#9 metaphaze

metaphaze

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE(Ahrimanes @ Aug 15 2006, 10:31 AM) View Post

I first tryed a 7.3GB disc and wxripper prompted that it wasn't large enough, then I tryed a 7.44GB disc and I could get the magic number. Does that mean it is large enough? Or is it impossible to know before you have a working backup disc?

I would say the 7.44GB disc would work, but I would still try to find one larger.

#10 Blietzkreig

Blietzkreig

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:42 AM

My question is: Do you HAVE to take the ripping DVD drive apart ?
Can't you just use the emergency eject using a paperclip in the hole trick ?
I dont like the thought of dismantling my new still under warranty Pioneer-111D, or my existing Lite-On DVD burner or buying another drive just for this purpose.
Thanks.

P.S. Great tutorial Metaphaze by the way. You have given us Hitachi owners hope. I am at 0-5 at the moment. That is - zero working back-ups from 5 attempts (using Lite-On Burner with TDK Media NOT new Pioneer)

#11 metaphaze

metaphaze

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:20 AM

QUOTE(Blietzkreig @ Aug 15 2006, 09:49 PM) View Post

My question is: Do you HAVE to take the ripping DVD drive apart ?
Can't you just use the emergency eject using a paperclip in the hole trick ?
I dont like the thought of dismantling my new still under warranty Pioneer-111D, or my existing Lite-On DVD burner or buying another drive just for this purpose.
Thanks.

P.S. Great tutorial Metaphaze by the way. You have given us Hitachi owners hope. I am at 0-5 at the moment. That is - zero working back-ups from 5 attempts (using Lite-On Burner with TDK Media NOT new Pioneer)

Some people have been able to get the emergency eject method to work. So you can try it, with the Pioneer 111D I couldn't get the drive to eject (but I couldn't find a paper clip either).

#12 Blietzkreig

Blietzkreig

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:57 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply Metaphaze.

I have since done some further research on this matter and the results seem inconclusive.

Some say it is OK to use paperclip, some say No - it will damage your burner (particularly the laser assembly)

So in short - use the paperclip method at your own risk !

#13 Overloaded

Overloaded

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:13 AM

For those few that are still having problems after using this guide i you might want to try a larger dvd movie.

i use Terminator 2 and Sin City both of which are 8.4gb in size. and as far as all the read errors instead of Dummying the 1st 3 sections change your D's to J's and just JUMP over the video partition. the rip will be faster as wxripper will only grab the game data from layer1 and layer2.

When you load this finished gamename.iso that you just ripped into ss merger it will be seen as an extreme type of iso and merger will add its own padded video partition back into it for you.

i had problems with tomb raider and a few other games using DUMMY, DUMMY,DUMMY but after changing the 1st 3 to JUMP i havent had another problem.

Edited by Overloaded, 16 August 2006 - 07:14 AM.

#14 metaphaze

metaphaze

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE(Overloaded @ Aug 16 2006, 01:20 AM) View Post

For those few that are still having problems after using this guide i you might want to try a larger dvd movie.

Did you use this guide to make backups?

#15 Overloaded

Overloaded

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE(metaphaze @ Aug 16 2006, 09:26 PM) View Post

Did you use this guide to make backups?

everyone that already knows how to make backups does it the same 2 ways either extreme or wxripper. none of which need to read your tutorial because we all use the same steps and processes to do the job.

nice guide but you just gathered the same info from other post and nfo file information to put it together and make a guide with your name on it.

hope you dont get bothered by me saying that for it is an honest statement and not to be meant as a flame in any way.

you put it all in 1 place for all to see at once:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users