MeTalCoRE_NINJA

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:08 AM

ok i want to add two hdd's to my box and take out the dvd drive, im more in to softmoding and i know what i want to do, but i don't know what to get to get things done the way i want it to. and... i have a motherboard that still works and all but i don't having a matching hard drive (burned out). ok so these are the things i want to do with the box.
1. add 2 hard drives (proly 2 500 gigs if some bios can handle it)
2. be able to use my old motherboard (i read somewhere unlocked HDD were still useible with chips)
3. eliminate the need for a dvd drive (just back up my games on the HDD's)
4. get rid of the open\eject and power buttons (use a dvd remote to power on)

i know number 4 proly has nothing to do with a chip, i just wanted to know if there be anything bad bout it.
so im open to any and all suggestions as to which chip i should get for this project.

#2 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,996 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:23 AM

Well since you posted in the smartxx forum, I'm going to say get a smartxx chip tongue.gif.

1. You can only do that with a switch and not add it in the DVD IDE place because only the Cromwell Linux Bios supports booting of two drives. There are plenty of tutorials on Xbox-Scene at:

http://www.xbox-scen...?p=191|211|#211

2. Yup should be fine just wont be able to use disabled mode and m$ dashboard (in disabled mode)

3. Well as I say you can only do this by a switch for two hard drives you could put the second hard drive in it's DVD tray though.

4. http://www.xbox-scen...91|211|241|#241 some RF tutorials there for you.

Got to www.smartxx.com for more info on the chip.

Edited by bucko, 15 August 2006 - 11:25 AM.

#3 chronotrigger681

chronotrigger681

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:12 PM

www.llamma.com
he has some kits for double hd's. I like the smartxx chips the best. Ive got a v2 and its an older version but i love it. Not too overly complicated and does the job as good as the overly expensive chips.

#4 MeTalCoRE_NINJA

MeTalCoRE_NINJA

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:54 PM

i was thinking i could just set the jumpers for the 2 HDD's, i just want to boot off one and use the other for storage. I was planing on doing this Posted Image because i also plan to have an internal hub.

#5 MeTalCoRE_NINJA

MeTalCoRE_NINJA

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:00 PM

oh yeah, so if i use the mod chip id be able to boot an unlocked hdd, right? i just want to be able to bring back one of my xboxs so id have 4 instead of 3 boxes.

#6 MeTalCoRE_NINJA

MeTalCoRE_NINJA

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 01:07 AM

**bumb** smile.gif

#7 XOR

XOR

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:16 PM

Absolutely, although ANY modchip with the right BIOS will allow booting of an Unlocked HDD.

#8 TIMxIRISH

TIMxIRISH

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:25 AM

QUOTE(chronotrigger681 @ Aug 15 2006, 11:19 AM) View Post

www.llamma.com
he has some kits for double hd's. I like the smartxx chips the best. Ive got a v2 and its an older version but i love it. Not too overly complicated and does the job as good as the overly expensive chips.

I've used both Xecuter3 CE and SmartXX v3, and I have to say, SmartXX did a fine job. SmartXX v3 is probably the most complicated chip i know of though, but definantly not by much. It has lots of handy features, and comes at a very good price. Xecuter3 basically gives you the same stuff SmartXX v3 will, but just orginizes it better, and makes it easier to change things. SmartXX v3 is only slightly more complicated, but gives you more features (and TWICE the memory for bioses: 2MB vs 4MB) for about the same cost.

The only way I'd say to get an X3 is if you wanted solderless connection for X3IR (turn xbox on and off w/xbox dvd remote), or if you prefered slightly better orginization, with 2MB less for bioses. Both are solid chips, but it's just what you prefer. 4MB is HUGE though. You really don't need that much, but maybe you would want it? Who knows. I wanted the space just so i could test a bunch of bioses (i've tried about 3 to 5 with it).

Also.. If you're going to buy the dual HD kit from llamma, and you don't know of the shop's integrity, I'll tell you that I've personally ordered from them before. I ordered late january, placing an order of about $312 worth of stuff. Everything was neatly packaged and came on time, with no signs of damage or defect in any of the items recieved. This was before I was asked to help moderate their forums. If you don't want to take my word, there's a "Llamma's great or Llamma sucks" section of the forums for users to post their experience, as well as reseller ratings (link).

#9 bigjfro

bigjfro

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:06 PM

hi i am after a good mod for my 360 but people tell me that i wont be able to play on line can any one put me right on that and are there any plug in play mods ?
i think some thing easy to install

Mod note: I edited your post, go some were else for your piracy needs, bucko.

Edited by bucko, 17 September 2006 - 01:09 PM.

#10 classicsat

classicsat

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Interests:Technical stuff, not much of a gamer, and if that, more non-combative simulations thant anything.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:00 PM

You are asking for it.

Backing up is for what games you already own the originals for, not as a mechanism to get copied games cheap or free. Once it is that, it is a piracy, and we won't help you play that game here, let alone play them on Live..

If you cannot afford console games , get another hobby.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users