3 replies to this topic

#1 JordanAustin

JordanAustin

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:21 AM

I was watching a movie with XBMC the other day when my xbox just crashed. I rebooted and got error 21. It's a 1.0 /w an Xecuter 3.0ce so when I rebooted it, it would boot to the x3 screen but the drive would sometimes be there, and other times all 0's in space (like it wasn't seeing it.)

I can't get back to the dashboard, and I couldn't access it through FTP with the X3 screen, because that doesn't actually give me any access to anything.

After a couple days of goofing off with it I am now able to boot /w Slayer's Disc, which gives me FTP Access, but half the time my Hard drive isn't being detected in Slayer's so when I use flashfxp it gets me in there, but I see nothing. The other half of the time (about every 6 reboots) Slayer's does see my hard drive and I am able to get to it through FTP, but when I start a transfer it only goes at about 2k, then crashes shortly after, giving me no access to my drive.

The problem is that it's a 300 gig hd with about 240 gigs of movies. I hooked it up to the pc and ran WD's extensive test, and stress test on the drive and it checked out just fine, I have a feeling it's all goofed up and needs formatted, but I really don't want to loose my 50+ movies. I've already RMA'd a new drive in the mail, but have been trying desperately to recover the data. I've tried Xplorer 360 in my pc which gave me a chain error, and now doesn't see the drive (even though xp sees it fine.) I've tried FatXplorer which detects the hard drive, then closes itself. I've even tried booting into Slax and trying to mount the drive, but slax doesn't have FatX support.

I've tried FTP'ing my files, mounting it in linux, using 3 different programs to access the drive in Windows, and about everything else I can think of. Anyone else have any ideas on how I can recover my data??

Thanks.

#2 donkru

donkru

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:uhh... i likr modding xbox's
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:45 AM

could be a bad internal conection, or a lose wire, i was having same problem 2 hours ago, that my hdd would be detected, it was that the power cable was losening itself up and not providing the necesary power, try opening and playing with the power. i just put a new molex and works like a charm nw. good luck

#3 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:48 PM

Due to the size of the drive you most likely have data corruption. the drive is not actually faulty but should have been formatted with 32kb clusters to prevent this.
likely you will not recover the movies and have to put them on again

#4 JordanAustin

JordanAustin

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Aug 17 2006, 08:55 AM) View Post

Due to the size of the drive you most likely have data corruption. the drive is not actually faulty but should have been formatted with 32kb clusters to prevent this.
likely you will not recover the movies and have to put them on again

Well, just to update everyone, here's what happened. I took my hd and put it in someone else's xbox which produced the same result in slayer's (ruling out the bad power cable). I even tried mounting it in another pc which produced the same results, so I figured I'd just suck it up and wipe my 260 gigs worth of games, roms, family guy, aqua teen, lost, concerts, music, movies, etc.

So, I stuck it back in my pc and last night let it do a complete NTFS format, stuck it in my xbox this morning and it ran faster than ever, it booted slayer's fine, wiped the drive just fine, and installed everything. You were right Chancer, it was all fuxed. I'm currently in the process of updating software and I'm considering using Avalaunch for the first time.

I already purchased a 500 gig wd external drive when all this shizzle happened and I've learned my lesson. I am now going to copy everything to it as I copy it to the xbox. Backup data guys! You won't regret it.

Lesson learned, and thanks for all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users