timdog82001

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:18 PM

This is a mod to add the Media Center Extender button to the Media blade, as it is in actual xbox 360's. For this mod, you will need to have the Media Center Extender program backed up on your xbox or at least in your dvd drive. This button replaces the MC360 Guide button, however I added some options to the Option menu in the Guide Blade which allow you to choose between having the Xbox Media Center Extender button, the MC360 Guide button, or neither. Additionally, I have included a slightly modded keymap for the Media Center Extender Remote. I have changed the "DVD Menu" button to open the Guide Blade instead of the shutdown menu (shutdown menu can still be accessed with the power button at the top of the remote). Also, I the "My TV" button at the top of the remote now launches the Media Center Extender program, instead of opening up the Applications directory. If you do not use the Media Center Extender remote, do NOT copy the keymap.xml file over, remove it before transfering. It is in the UserData folder.

There may also be some small things you need to edit before transfering if you keep XBMC or the Media Center Extender programs in different locations than I have it set up for. I have included a document titled "Read Me!" which I believe has everything you need to know. I would suggest reading this first, especially if you don't own the media center extender Remote, because there will be things you need to change before copying everything over. This mod is intended for use with the August 9th build of MC360. I have not tried it with any older builds, but I will probably keep this fairly updated with future builds since I plan to use this myself

Let me know if you experience any bugs or problems, or if you have any suggestions. Enjoy!

IPB Image

IPB Image

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J2JT1QAX

Edited by timdog82001, 17 August 2006 - 10:24 PM.

#2 timdog82001

timdog82001

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:11 AM

Sorry guys, I guess my original pics didn't work. Here goes my second try....

IPB Image
IPB Image

Edited by timdog82001, 18 August 2006 - 09:12 AM.

#3 timdog82001

timdog82001

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:13 PM

Small update due to retarded oversight on my part. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QUATMQCU

#4 mbay

mbay

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:58 AM

timdog82001,

thanks for doing this. i think people will enjoy this little add-on. smile.gif

#5 timdog82001

timdog82001

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:16 AM

Ok, another update. This will probably be the final version, aside from updating it along with new MC360 releases. The original version actually had a MS logo in it, this one has a custom made logo, compliments of Rocky5, so there can be no argument about copyright issues. I doubt there would have been an issue with the first one anyway, but just in case....

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UFOTH1QS

If anybody has some suggestions or criticism, I'd be happy to hear both.

Also, for those of you inquiring about where you can get your hands on the Media Center Extender, your best bet is eBay, since MS no longer makes them. Comes with the computer CD, xbox program, and a nifty remote. And, of course, you have to have Windows XP Media Center Edition on your PC for it to work.

Edited by timdog82001, 19 August 2006 - 10:18 AM.

#6 timdog82001

timdog82001

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:16 PM

Annnnd one final update. I had forgotten to make the button network aware. Media Center Extender button disappears if you aren't hooked up to the network.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AANENRJW

Edited by timdog82001, 19 August 2006 - 11:16 PM.

#7 mbay

mbay

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:56 AM

timdog82001, i was wondering about that! (network aware)

will it go back the "guide" button if not aware?

#8 timdog82001

timdog82001

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:04 AM

no, it won't...It wouldn't be terribly hard to make things do that, but most people that have the media center extender program have the media center remote too and in my opinion it's far more convenient to just use a button on the controller to bring up the guide like in my included keymap rather than using that button in the skin. But if you want, i could try to cook up some code to replace stuff in the file to make it do that. But you can always just reenable the MC360 Guide button in the options menu.

Edited by timdog82001, 20 August 2006 - 07:10 AM.

#9 mbay

mbay

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:44 AM

timdog82001,

your mod is great as if smile.gif i admit it would a little "extra" to have this option enabled when it recognizes mce and to have "guide" button when not available, however......you mentioned the "enable MC360 guide button" in the options menu - perhaps the same principle can be used for MCE button?

Would it be possible to add "Enable MCE" in the options for those that would like to benefit from this?

I was just thinking, if you choose the latter option, is there a possibility to have this option "check-able" (in the options menu) once it recognizes MCE in the "apps" folder, or just "greyed-out" / "non-chekable" (in the options menu) when MCE is not present in "apps" folder?

I am just brainstorming ideas, as I am non-familiar with xml coding. Curious, I am.

#10 timdog82001

timdog82001

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:35 AM

It's already there. You can see it in the second screenshot i posted i think. Here, here's a link. You can see those screenshots up there right??? Immediately below my first post? http://img90.imagesh...17274759wz2.jpg

#11 dhrandy1

dhrandy1

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Computers, XBox, Guitars
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:56 PM

I cant get my xbox extender to connect to my computer sad.gif

#12 timdog82001

timdog82001

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE(dhrandy1 @ Aug 21 2006, 04:03 PM) View Post

I cant get my xbox extender to connect to my computer sad.gif

You do have a media center edition version of windows xp right? You have to install some software included on the cd that came with the xbox media center extender program, or download it from MS's website. I couldn't find my cd, so that's what I had to do. Also, it has to be one of the newer versions of media center on your computer, it can't be the original 2003 or 2004 or whatever it was. However, I don't really know how you can check this, because I think it still shows up as being media center 2002 when you check in my computer, just an updated version, but you can't actually just update from the original version...I dunno, it's kinda weird. All I know is the version of media center i had on my laptop wouldn't work with it and i called up MS and they said you had to buy the newer version. Also, You might have to have update rollup 2, i'm not sure. I'd go check out hte MS website and download any updates listed for windows media center, short of like .net framework and stuff like that, that's not necessary. Anyway, when you get the stuff installed that needs to beinstalled for it to work, there should be a little black box in the task bar called the "resource monitor" and basically has three levels indicating how much processing power you computer is utilizing. Also, I think you have to make sure you go into media center on the PC and get it all set up before attempting to connect from the xbox.

Also, could somebody please verify that they can see the screenshots?

#13 dhrandy1

dhrandy1

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Computers, XBox, Guitars
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:16 PM

im not sure what the problem is. i have did everything you said. i'll post a screen shot in a while.

Edited by dhrandy1, 21 August 2006 - 11:17 PM.

#14 kazaaboy

kazaaboy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:20 PM

I am able to execute the extender program using your modification...Nice job biggrin.gif

However, once I am through with media center how do I go back to xbmc uhh.gif

I use to just click on the online button on my remote...However since the XboxMediaCenter.xml is no longer used how does it know where to go back???

#15 timdog82001

timdog82001

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:49 PM

to be honest I didn't know there was any way at all to go back to xbmc since it's just like being in a game, aside from IGR. You were able to before? And what "online button" are you refering to??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users