4 replies to this topic

#1 hadrian

hadrian

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 11:54 PM

Probably the wrong forum, but this certainly seems like a noob question.

I tried to run GR and Halo tonight with 2 xboxes today. Both were hooked up via a router to my in house LAN. I went to the multiplayer-->system link panels, and then created a game on one of the boxes. The other box saw it, and displayed the join option. But when I selected join, no dice. It sat for a while saying connecting, then dumped back out with a connection lost message.

Anything else I need to know about this? I know that many people have been successful using xboxes over routers, instead of using a crossover cable (system link cable) between them.

One other idea I have that might be an issue is that my xbox is under a WET11. This has been a sticky point before, but hey, if I can get XBCONNECT to work just fine using it, I don't see what the deal is. Especially since I can recognize a created game on the other box.

Any other instructions?

#2 MissSplitch

MissSplitch

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 May 2003 - 01:55 AM

Ugh. Wet.

Seeing a game and connecting to a game are 2 different things entirely. Passing a 12 bit flag that says a game exists takes nanoseconds. Parsing a connection, synchronizing it, and then passing data over it takes a lot more than a brief connect/read/disconnect-esque architecture.

Not only is your router going to be slowing you down, (as opposed to a switch) but the wet will be, even more. With a crossover cable, the 2 boxes can fly at each other at full 100. Over a wired router, they can reach the same thing (in theory, anyway, I'm sure it'll change depending on the router.) but with wireless you're not going to reach 100. You'll be lucky to reach 10.

Make sure you can connect with a cabled arrangement first, then debate the efficacy of the wetbox.

-Splitch

#3 lebriznon

lebriznon

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 12 May 2003 - 02:22 AM

hey can I use the cross-over cable (the one i used for connecting xbox to computer's NIC) to play system-link Halo? Is that the same thing as the M$ system link cable?

#4 MissSplitch

MissSplitch

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 May 2003 - 03:03 AM

Yeah, the xover cable is the same as the system link cable that everyone sells, so you can use it.

-Splitch

#5 hadrian

hadrian

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 12:44 AM

Thanks guys. I realized that this setup was slower, but didn't think it would make THAT big a difference. After all, I can play Halo with XBConnect over this setup, in which case I'm using whatever setup system link is providing. Why would it work in that case, but not in this one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users