deka

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:Xbox
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 14 September 2002 - 11:26 AM

I have been reading a few tutorials about soldering the mod chip on and some of them mention that you need to "tin" the wire. Whats this all about? Thanks

#2 Drew826

Drew826

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 September 2002 - 11:29 AM

to "tin" a wire means to apply a small amount of solder to it so its shiny before you actually solder it to the board.

#3 deka

deka

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:Xbox

Posted 14 September 2002 - 11:31 AM

And this needs to be done to all the wires that come with the PC-Bioxx that need to be soldered to the mobo?

#4 WodMan

WodMan

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 04:32 PM

It isn't necessary, however it is good practice since the solder connection has much more integrity when the wires are tinned. It is also recommended to pre-solder the points on the motherboard by dabbing the soldering iron on the spot with a small amount of solder on the iron. If the wire is tinned and the motherboard connections are pre-soldered, then there is no need for additional solder when making the connection. If you do both of these, you will be sure to have a good connection.

#5 stiGGy

stiGGy

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 14 September 2002 - 06:53 AM

wodman, how do you make the solder come off the iron, with me once the solders on the iron i cant shift it

#6 Queb

Queb

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 08:33 AM

Touch the cable to the soldering iron then touch a little solder to the wire ... this will tin the wire, remember when soldering to the xbox, use very little amounts of solder and be FAST, if you leave the soldering iron there for too long well dead xbox wink.gif

#7 X-Mod

X-Mod

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 09:03 AM

Solder flows between the contact points, but will only do so once they have been heated beyond it's melting point. When you have a dab of melted solder on the end of your iron, it will only adhere to the wire once the wire has reached the proper temperature. When you're dealing with small wire, this really only takes about a second. Now if you're using 30 gauge wire (that's what i'd recommend), most likely it's already tinned. if it says Kynar on it, count on it being tinned.

What tinning does for you is allow you to get good solder adhesion to the wire before you actually solder it in place. It's much easier to wait for the solder to flow to the new metal when you're not holding it in a delicate position.

So you tin your wires, then you add a dab of solder to your connection point on the board to do basically the same thing. Again it's easier to wait for the solder to flow to the pads when you don't have to hold a wire on it at the same time.

The net result of this is that you can achieve a proper connection with only the briefest touch of the iron. The solder on the wire has made proper adhesion, and the solder to the pad has made proper adhesion. Now you only have to get the 2 dabs of solder to adhere to each other. This will happen instantly when the soldering iron makes contact with both things at the same time. When you're dealing with such small connections, this is very important.

Without doing it this way, you will have to wait for the solder to flow to the wire, and to the solder pad while you are holding the wire to the pad and the iron tip to a point where it makes contact with both. Once you do get the solder to flow, it's because you have brought the temperatures of the 2 items past the solder melting point. Now the solder will stay liquid until the temperatures of the 2 points drop below the melting point, which with such small points, will only be a second, but...a wire can do a lot of moving around in a second. Also keep in mind that the longer you hold the iron to the board, the hotter everything gets. The solder pads can loosen up from too much heat, and there are even some components that can be overheated and damaged. This will cause you much more grief than you might think you deserve.

And so i ramble on...

Suffice it to say...you will be much happier with tinned wires and little dabs of solder on the board waiting to make contact with them.

Not wanting to scare you or anything, but this is not a project that i would recommend learning how to solder on. At least use a magnifying lamp when doing it. That will help you a lot.

Some other points of advice i can offer:
Make sure your soldering iron is either a variable iron set down to just past the point where it will melt the solder right when it touches the tip, or if it's not variable, make sure it's no more than 15 watts. if you have a 40 watt iron, keep it away from that board. Your chance of lifting solder pads and traces off the board will be very high with a 40 watt iron.

Good Luck!

And if something goes wrong...we do repairs as well as installs.rolleyes.gif

X-mod

www.x-mod.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users