Photo

Gutting Out The Xbox And Putting In A Mini Case?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mshake

Mshake

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 02:32 AM

hi all, ..
recently i am freaking interested in building custom cases for the lounge room, ... i've put a mini pc in a mini-itx casing and it runs like a true divx/vcd/dvd player ehhehe..

but i am wondering has anyone attempted to put the xbox in a like erm, old tape deck case or some cool hi-fi cases?... that would look nice,... i personally think the xbox is too big and out of shape to fit in my own lounge though....

i've seen yoshi's box (putting ps2/gamecube/xbox/pc all in one) but it's too huge!....would prefer something like a mini-sized xbox though hehe...
Anyone read anything like this?..

#2 MacGuyver_3030

MacGuyver_3030

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 02:48 AM

the xbox is as small as it could be, unless you added a ton of fans and slimed it out a bit, i dont think it would work, but if you did do that, lay everything down, and put that in a case, and put a couple of fans in there, it might work, it would look cool in an old hifi box.

#3 Mshake

Mshake

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 03:12 AM

hehe that;s what i thought.... i am interested to begin something like this,... perhaps later when i could get my hands on a used xbox to try and see...

X-s would be the first i'll post some pictures if it's successful ehehehe..i've got an old denon amplifier that's not working.... hope it'll fits..
the hard part would be the controller ports .....needs some drilling...

#4 staticFLINT

staticFLINT

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,414 posts
  • Interests:my only interest is making sure i always have fun with what i am doing... lets go be lame! yEAH!!
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 12 May 2003 - 05:08 AM

get rid of the DVD drive... make it external and only connect it when you need to backup a games or something... I want to put my XBOX in a smaller case and that was one of the ideas I came up with...

#5 Mshake

Mshake

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 05:20 AM

it sux coz at the moment, the only replacement choice i have is the samsung sd-616T or 616F,.... coz i was thinking if it was possible to have a dvd-rom that do not uses a tray, or rather u slot in the disc urself....it would be cool and of course, i would prefer a slim dvd drive ...now that would be nice...

another thing i was thinking was , ... separating everything and make it llike a portable deck u could move around... but the dvd and harddrives cables will be a shit to do... don't think using longer cables would do rigght?...

the more i give thoughts into it, the more complicated but fun it sounds...heh

#6 jayda

jayda

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 May 2003 - 10:21 AM

hey i was thinking of a nice mod for the box. Perhaps in a mini case but as everyone is saying Cooling would be a major issue.

Maybe someone could adapt a Water cooling system, i dont think it would be that hard. Some research would do me some good. Maybe adapt a massive Heatsink like the Mac Cube.

Id love to have my xbox to look as if it was a game cube. Now that would just make sence.the cube is sweet.

what are some ideas on How could u minimise the overall size of the M$ XboX?

.. slice the Mofomobo in half ph34r.gif ..perhaps not.

Dose anyone know about a Top loading DVD drive? use Sony Vaio Hdds? or just notebook slim drives.

I think that an OLD NoteBook case might work nice, it would fit the mobo. U could use slim dvd and a HardDrive. no idea how you would cool it down... but u could replace the LCD screen with a new one, and use Kens Adaptor and just plug n play without the hassle of a Video Adaptor.

any thoughts / sugestions ?

#7 Mshake

Mshake

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 12:38 PM

as much as i would love to be able to fit it into a gamecube case but the m/b won't fit ...hehee don't we know....

and a notebook case don't think so, it's too thin to allow cooling in the first place....

my choice would be like i say earlier, a nice rectangular (not so fat-arse type) hifi/amplifier set.... at least prob could fit the m/b and some may allow fitment of the dvd-drive with less hassle... and gut a hole on the side to fit the hard-drive and make it swappable in an instance?....

i prob be free after a few weeks.... and begin this journey..smile.gif can't wait...

#8 sk8dog

sk8dog

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 02:35 PM

make ur own ultra small case out of plexi, completely design it urself from scratch. perhaps place everything level with eachother, instead of on top of eachother. that would make it a lot shorter, but wider...may cost money, but hey, do what u gotta do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users