32 replies to this topic

#31 compton

compton

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:21 PM

I was extremly disapointed that this kit was released for C# and not for C++.

dont get me wrong i understand how to program in C#, but my prefered environment is C++. well that and i hate all MSVisual compilers.

#32 SilverDragon

SilverDragon

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:48 PM

Surely as its using .net, any managed .net language should be able to code for it in theory?

I can see why hey went the .net route, proper compiled c++, whilst faster, probably too hard to secure, without the extra management layer stopping code doing anything it shouldn't.

#33 Zylyx

Zylyx

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:04 AM

Yeah, by limiting you to the .NET runtime, they can strictly control what you have access to-- I'm pretty sure there's no inline ASM or anything, so it'll be quite hard to find holes in their security mechanism.

Of course, by blocking network access, it also makes it impossible to use it as a bootstrap for grabbing code off the network-- or rom images. Sure, you might be able to put an emulator core on there, but getting access to ROM images.. hell, I'm not sure you'll be able to read random files at all in general, for that matter.

I'm sure someone'll figure out how to crack it to allow access to non-XBL users, and THAT will open up emulation and the like, but then we'll be right back to the softmod headaches for XBL users.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users