10 replies to this topic

#1 mat82284

mat82284

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 12:31 AM

I havenít been into the xbox360 scene yet. I still use my original Xbox with my chip and love the media use. I have read that you can flash your DVD drive to boot up backups (and I flashed the bios before on my Xbox 1) I also only have a laptop and not a desktop to do this can I buy a USB hard drive case to do this? Also would a chip be better at this moment? Does the Xbox already have a media center? Or would the homebrew software out for it yet? If so would the flash work or would I need the chip? Iím sorry if these questions have already been answered. I havenít been into the xbox360 scene yet. I still use my original Xbox with my chip and love the media use. I have read that you can flash your DVD drive to boot up backups (and I flashed the bios before on my Xbox 1) I also only have a laptop and not a desktop to do this can I buy a USB hard drive case to do this? Also would a chip be better at this moment? Does the Xbox already have a media center? Or would the homebrew software out for it yet? If so would the flash work or would I need the chip? Iím sorry if these questions have already been answered. And Thanks to all who respond.

#2 tnbigdawg

tnbigdawg

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:10 AM

The only thing I can say is read and search. As for having only a laptop, it might not work to flash the Toshiba-Samsung Xbox 360 drives.

#3 mat82284

mat82284

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:27 AM

Well i can use my friends pc then. Whats all involved with this? Is this easy to do compaired to flashing bios on the xbox 1. After the flash do they directly boot or do you have to keep it conncect to the pc? any newbe guides on how to flash?

#4 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Computers
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:40 AM

Click the first link in my signature and read until your eyes bleed.

#5 tnbigdawg

tnbigdawg

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:46 AM

I was a noob on the 360 just about a week ago. I've read all the tutorials for my Brand/Revision dvd drive. After all the reading, I've been able to make contributions to the scene myself (see my sig below). Flashing the drive is like a gamble. It either works, or you've bricked it. You gotta know what you are doing and understand what the DOS command is doing when using MTKFLASH with a TS drive. I've seen people use the write command before they've even got the backup command to work. Reading as much as you can will avoid getting your drive bricked. Read until you feel like you can do this with your eyes closed.

-Of course the first thing you should do is find out what DVD drive you're going to flash and read the proper tutorials.
-Create a backup of your firmware and protect it with your life. Save it in multiple places/usb/cd/floppy.
-read again

-flash

Whats all involved with this? Is this easy to do compaired to flashing bios on the xbox 1. After the flash do they directly boot or do you have to keep it conncect to the pc? any newbe guides on how to flash?

You'll need a SATA port or PCI card for TS drives(I'm not sure about Hitachi Drives). TS firmware ms28 is more complicated than the ms25. I would say this is harder than flashing a bios in xbox 1. After the flash, you can put your 360 back together and it will be fine. Take it back apart and connect with PC to rip an original game disk.

Edited by tnbigdawg, 31 August 2006 - 02:57 AM.

#6 mat82284

mat82284

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:56 AM

QUOTE(tnbigdawg @ Aug 31 2006, 01:53 AM) View Post

I was a noob on the 360 just about a week ago. I've read all the tutorials for my Brand/Revision dvd drive. After all the reading, I've been able to make contributions to the scene myself (see my sig below). Flashing the drive is like a gamble. It either works, or you've bricked it. You gotta know what you are doing and understand what the DOS command is doing when using MTKFLASH with a TS drive. I've seen people use the write command before they've even got the backup command to work. Reading as much as you can will avoid getting your drive bricked. Read until you feel like you can do this with your eyes closed.

-Of course the first thing you should do is find out what DVD drive you're going to flash and read the proper tutorials.
-Create a backup of your firmware and protect it with your life. Save it in multiple places/usb/cd/floppy.
-read again

-flash

Ok thanks alot. Yea ill make sure to back it up first and save it with my life haha. one question though for those people who made a brick out of there dvd drive can they just buy another broken xbox for the dvdrom? Or is it im possible to swap them? I actually dont have my xbox yet i ordered it online. so im trying to read as much as possible before i do but i guess it would help if i knew the drive.

#7 tnbigdawg

tnbigdawg

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:00 AM

unless you've got your original FW from your drive that matches the motherboard of the 360, then you cannot swap drives.

That's all. Now go read.

#8 mat82284

mat82284

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:10 AM

QUOTE(tnbigdawg @ Aug 31 2006, 02:07 AM) View Post

unless you've got your original FW from your drive that matches the motherboard of the 360, then you cannot swap drives.

That's all. Now go read.

Ok Thanks i have one more question as im reading. I came accross this site from the forum does this item really work? Or is it a wayste of money?

http://www.themodchi...y_unlocking.htm

#9 ash1471

ash1471

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE(mat82284 @ Aug 31 2006, 03:17 AM) View Post

Ok Thanks i have one more question as im reading. I came accross this site from the forum does this item really work? Or is it a wayste of money?

http://www.themodchi...y_unlocking.htm

It works ok. But it's not needed for samsung drives.

#10 Exobex

Exobex

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE(ash1471 @ Aug 31 2006, 08:14 AM) View Post

It is still useful for Samsung drives as it means the drive can be powered from the PC when flashing, no need to power up both 360 and PC (and risk the 360 shutting off mid-flash).

#11 slimgrip

slimgrip

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Interests:NorthWest UK's Premiere 360 Modding Service
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE(ash1471 @ Aug 31 2006, 08:14 AM) View Post

Its a lot safer option than the 2 wire trick or slax cd for Hitachis, & with the Samsung its a lot safer than earthing the 360 to the PC chassis.
Also much easier than hauling your full 360 and power brick to the side of your pc.

Well worth the money IMHO

Slim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users