• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 spacelaser1

spacelaser1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:47 PM

I was wondering if there is any way I could run You don't know jack on my xbox. I only have a laptop and crowding three people around is not much fun. I dunno if this is the right forum, but i figured this might be a good place to start because it is a windows game. Would I have to run windows on the xbox first? Or is there a way around that.

#2 torne

torne

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Reverse engineering, Linux, crazy operating systems voodoo, embedded development
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 September 2006 - 04:40 PM

You need to get XDSL or some other linux distribution installed, and then emulate Windows (preferably win98) using QEMU as described in many other posts on this forum. You should then be able to play YDKJ just fine, it's not a very demanding game smile.gif

#3 hitman24

hitman24

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:57 PM

I woundn't even try it so hard to do so and get working, you mate as will install Windows 98 inside of the now free Mircosoft Virutal PC porgram and run them thier.

#4 torne

torne

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Reverse engineering, Linux, crazy operating systems voodoo, embedded development

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:47 AM

The original poster said he didn't want to have to crowd everyone around his laptop to play the game. It's a party quiz game, if you didn't know. The Xbox would be a much more comfortable place to play smile.gif

#5 mammlouk

mammlouk

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 04:22 AM

QUOTE(torne @ Sep 6 2006, 09:47 AM) View Post

You need to get XDSL or some other linux distribution installed, and then emulate Windows (preferably win98) using QEMU as described in many other posts on this forum. You should then be able to play YDKJ just fine, it's not a very demanding game smile.gif

Why not cut out the extra load of the virtual machine and run it through WINE in the linux distro of choice? Surely the API translation in WINE would be faster than loading a full VM (especially with only 64MB of RAM).

#6 jackassfan

jackassfan

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:48 AM

only Dos games DOSBOX

#7 torne

torne

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE(mammlouk @ Oct 7 2006, 04:29 AM) View Post

Why not cut out the extra load of the virtual machine and run it through WINE in the linux distro of choice? Surely the API translation in WINE would be faster than loading a full VM (especially with only 64MB of RAM).

That's an option as well, but WINE's support for crazy old games that use ancient versions of DirectX, or (shudder) WinG.. not so hot smile.gif

#8 mammlouk

mammlouk

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE(torne @ Oct 8 2006, 05:48 AM) View Post

That's an option as well, but WINE's support for crazy old games that use ancient versions of DirectX, or (shudder) WinG.. not so hot smile.gif

True, but YDKJ = good according to the WINE AppDB. blink.gif

#9 torne

torne

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE(mammlouk @ Oct 11 2006, 02:00 PM) View Post

True, but YDKJ = good according to the WINE AppDB. blink.gif

Neat. I probably should've checked. Is there an Xbox-ready linux distro which comes with WINE, though? smile.gif

#10 mammlouk

mammlouk

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE(torne @ Oct 12 2006, 04:24 AM) View Post

Neat. I probably should've checked. Is there an Xbox-ready linux distro which comes with WINE, though? smile.gif

I'm pretty sure there's a wine package for xDSL. Also with gentoox you should be able to just run an
"emerge wine" as long as you have a repository with wine in your portage tree.

#11 Pojokunam

Pojokunam

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:36 PM

You could always check to see if your laptop has svideo and hook it up to the Television in the mean time.

#12 guyin916

guyin916

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 04:13 PM

there is a ps1 version of the game. try it out on the emulator =)

#13 Guardian2433

Guardian2433

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE(torne @ Sep 6 2006, 10:47 AM) View Post

Ummm, get MechAssault, an Action Replay, and connect to the AR site and download a hacked MechAssault save with UnleashX. Pop that bad boy into your Xbox and hijack the system, then install the SoftMod and the UnleashX Dashboard, then patch the old one. Be sure to back up your old MS Dashboard and settings, then reboot your Xbox. You'll boot into UnleashX and be able to play burned discs (perfect for Linux installations).

I modded my box in under a day but thats because I was looking for the right mod and doing testing of other things like the Audio Exploit, which I didn't like.

#14 dj75088

dj75088

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:50 AM

can some one tell me how to put pc games on my xbox? i have a pc emulater called pc-engine/something or other.

#15 torne

torne

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE(dj75088 @ Mar 7 2007, 05:57 AM) View Post

can some one tell me how to put pc games on my xbox? i have a pc emulater called pc-engine/something or other.

PC-Engine is a type of old game console. It is not in any way related to the PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users