3 replies to this topic

#1 bubbamagic87

bubbamagic87

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 10:31 PM

Where is a good Tutorial for jewel mods on the top of the xbox.

I want to add a new jewel and some LEDs.

#2 sharpie00

sharpie00

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 10:46 PM

There's really nothing to it. There are some suggestions as to removing the jewel such as a hair dryer, dremeling, melting, etc. Once you get it off, use a 2-1/2" hole saw drill bit to make the hole. This will leave enough of a rim for the new jewel to sit on.

To add LEDs, let's assume you will use 3.3v Blue LEDs. You will need resistors so the 5V power doesn't blow the LEDs. To calculate the resistor, do the following for each LED:

(5v - 3.3v) / 0.02 = 85 Ohm resistor for each LED.

If you are going to use 3 LEDs, then use 3 resistors. Each LED will have to legs. A short one and a long one. Each resistor needs to be soldered to each long leg of each LED. You can then solder the other end of the resistors together using wires between each resistor. Also solder the short legs of each LED together using wires between each short leg as well.

Finally, you should have 1 short leg and 1 end of a resistor. The short leg will connect to the ground of the powersupply cable (the black wire). The resistor end will connect to the powersupply cable as well (the red wire). The red wire is the 5v source. You can connect it to the hard drive power cable if you wish.

That should be about it. Make sure you mount the LEDs around the hole so you get equal distribution of light from the LEDs.

If I've made any errors, would someone please correct them?

Thanks and good luck! biggrin.gif

sharpie00

P.S. Here's a ghetto wiring diagram that I just did that may help smile.gif

user posted image

Edited by sharpie00, 12 May 2003 - 11:08 PM.

#3 bubbamagic87

bubbamagic87

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 10:48 PM

Thanks for your help!

#4 sharpie00

sharpie00

X-S Senior Member

• Members