• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wedgin

wedgin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 01:28 PM

I'm a newb when it comes to this, so I'll give a quick run-down of all that has gone down with my Xbox up to this point. I softmodded my Xbox awhile back and had 2 dashboards, XBMC and UnleashX and was using it fine for awhile. I tried to update XBMC at one point and something went amiss when creating the link to the home folder. So I did what I usually did if things botched and loaded up MechAssault and use the exploit to get back into the system. The system wouldn't let me run games anymore, as I suspect what might have happened is the clock reset and the Xbox wanted to set the time, so when it looked for the default dashboard it just locked up on me because it couldn't find it. Before the Xbox locking on me I didn't unlock the drive. So really I couldn't do much of anything with my Xbox, so after posting on a forum previously about the problem I was told I should get a chip installed.

So yesterday a friend and I installed DuoX2 GS white into my Xbox(it's a 1.3 I believe) and booted it up. It now just flashes the orange light on front on and off and won't shut off even when the power is pressed. I tried booting MechAssault and nothing. I realize I need to flash the bios onto the chip to get it to work, but how will I get this done if the drive is locked and I can't get it to read off the disc? If I make a bios disc will it see that disc?

Any help anyone could provide with this problem would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by wedgin, 06 September 2006 - 01:29 PM.

#2 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:08 PM

You can't flash the chip because something is still stuffed with the install. A meter will not help you at this stage
You are looking for solder shorts, damage to traces poor lPC soldering etc.
I assume you have plugged in the video cable correctly
A locked drive does not stop you from flashing the chip by the way

#3 Julius Pleaser

Julius Pleaser

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:33 PM

Chancer is correct, from what you describe, you didn't install the mod chip properly. Redo your solder work or take it to a pro.

#4 ModdingManiac

ModdingManiac

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:45 PM

Like stated before you screwed on the install somewhere (unless you forgot to plug in the video cable)..Remove the chip from the pin header and see if the xbox boots. If it does then you are lucky so just look for possible damages around the lpc or the bt connection, specially the bt connection, make sure its in the correct location and that you didn't bridge it with something else.

#5 wedgin

wedgin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:35 AM

You guys were correct, the soldering was bunged. I found a video on YouTube that walked my friend and I through it, so now the soldering is correct, as far as I can tell. Now the part I don't understand is the bios.

As it stands right now I can turn my Xbox on and get an error message 16, meaning it can't locate the dashboard, which was essentially where I was before installing the modchip. How do I go about flashing the bios onto the chip if it can't boot because the system time is screwed? I tried running Mechassault and it still wouldn't load. How am I going to be able to flash the bios when it won't boot a disc?

#6 Julius Pleaser

Julius Pleaser

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:43 AM

Read Team Xecuter's tutorial on how to flash the bios using flashbios (bank1). I recommend bios X2 5035.

#7 ModdingManiac

ModdingManiac

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:54 PM

If your are getting an error on the screen when you boot with the power button then the chip si still not working (usually I would say that the D0 is the problem, but in your case it could be anything laugh.gif j/k) . If you can post pics of the install it would help.

When the chip is working you will get either flashbios on the screen or cromwell depending on what bank.

Edited by ModdingManiac, 14 September 2006 - 10:56 PM.

#8 wedgin

wedgin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:40 PM

Here is what my board looks like. The D0 solder seems pretty solid on both sides. We tried doing the D0 from the top of the board and there is a little damage, though from what I can tell(with my untrained eye) the traces seem to still be intact. The Xbox shows no sign of recognizing the modchip at this point. Any insight would be appreciated.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

#9 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:22 PM

Ground the wire from the Xbox D0 point. If it doesn't boot to the flash screen the D0 is not correctly connected

#10 wedgin

wedgin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 03:27 PM

Could you clarify what that means? I know very little about soldering, so I want to make sure I tell my friend how to do it properly.

#11 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 04:58 PM

Unsolder the D0 wire from the chip end only and solder it to an earth point (round the screwhole in the mobo will do) This forces boot from the LPC.
Report back on what happens once you have done this.
Still use the power button to boot the console

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users