19 replies to this topic

#1 phreaknite

phreaknite

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:33 PM

OK let me break down my problem, maybe someone has an idea...

My Xbox will boot up fine and run fine. I attempt to leave it on all night and when I wake up in the morning it turns off (It will stay on most of the night though, i notice it when I get up at night)

When I get up, as I said, it's off. I go to turn it back on and it goes into the 3 failed boots and FRAG. I currently run Xenium ICE with XBMC as my main dash and the background dash being EvoX. I run the bios Evox M8+ for a Big F partition and V1.6 motherboards.

What it appears happens is that when I try to leave it on, this problem occurs. When this occured yesterday I tried to fix it but all the LEDs on my solderless adapter were illuminated, so I was stumped. I left the PSU unplugged and went to class and came back at the end of the day -- tried to turn it on and it worked 1-2-3.

THis time around I am going to try to leave the PSU unplugged again and see if that clears things up. Is there any way I can permanently fix this? It's getting to be quite annoying.

#2 phreaknite

phreaknite

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:43 PM

I just unplugged it for about 5 minutes and it seemed to clear up the problem.

What could cause this? I am interested to know because I know my brother does not have this problem with his xbox and he has very similar specs as far as chip and bios

#3 phreaknite

phreaknite

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:17 PM

bummp

#4 VerbalVenom

VerbalVenom

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:12 PM

what's it fragging? Green and Orange? It's probably overheating, and as a security feature the chipset shuts itself off once it hits 160*F. Try leaving your xbox on overnight with the fan speed raised to 50% or even 100%

#5 phreaknite

phreaknite

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:20 PM

FRAG = Flashing Red and Green

Thats a good point, it's possibly overheating, I'll try the XBMC feature that they have twhere it regulates the fan speed automatically to maintain a certain temperature. Thanks a bunch man!

#6 VerbalVenom

VerbalVenom

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:30 PM

No prob. Also if it's overheating double check your chip wires, because they can't stand a certain temperature. It's better to fix it now (if some insulation is melted), then to fry your chip switches and melt your front panel!

#7 phreaknite

phreaknite

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:06 PM

I think the problem is rooted in the fact that i use the solderless adapter for 1.6 which puts a plastic plate right around one of the chips. That chip must be overheating causing it to go off, then when I let it cool off over time it must just boot up again....

Luckily, if my chip fries, i have an extra Xenium Ice chip, so thats a plus.

The reason I think that you are right is because I let my xbox cool off for a few minutes then it booted back up..but only 5 minutes later it wouldnt boot up again...ill try this out over the next few nights and hopefully my problem is solved.

#8 Zebes

Zebes

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 September 2006 - 06:01 AM

do the 80mm fan mod

#9 VerbalVenom

VerbalVenom

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE(Zebes @ Sep 9 2006, 01:08 AM) View Post

do the 80mm fan mod

12V fan mod smile.gif

#10 phreaknite

phreaknite

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:25 PM

Unfamiliar with that mod..

80 mm fan mod and 12V fan mod are just fan upgrades basically?

If thats the case I can get one real cheap, but does it just come out of the xbox and the new one pop back in as easily? Or do i need to do hardcore case modding?

If you have a link to the mod, that would be cool smile.gif

#11 Zebes

Zebes

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:24 PM

the 12v mod makes the stock fan really loud
here is a link to the 80mm fan mod
http://www.xbox-scen...?p=191|298|#298
i wouldn't consider this hard core case modding
also, upgrade the thermal paste on the CPU ang GPU

#12 VerbalVenom

VerbalVenom

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:50 PM

I'd do the 12v mod. The xbox comes with an 80mm fan already... It's not really an Upgrade, it's just a replacement. Your BIOS chooses what speed your fan goes. The tut even shows the guy grounding the black ground of the fan to the shielding for the 12v fan mod. I'd definately do it if you want to move more air. If your consoles overheating and shutting down I definately reccomend it. I just got done modding a friends box and he was hitting 140F, did the 12v fan mod and now it's constantly 112FCPU, 95FGPU-no higher. The only way to cool the xbox faster is to move air out of the xbox quicker. The faster you move it the cooler the box stays. Also getting heatsinks for the chipsets will work, but I think the fan mod will do you just fine.

#13 phreaknite

phreaknite

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:36 PM

Alright, ill look into it...I also found some mods that include cutting the back portion out of the HDD holder to allow more air flow from a bigger, more heat producing HDD...any thoughts? I run a 300 GB Seagate

#14 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:36 PM

I have a question.
Why are you leaving the Xbox running all night if you are in bed?
If it only happens when you do this why not just turn it off when you go to bed

#15 phreaknite

phreaknite

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:09 PM

I run XBMC and i like to queue up a bunch of sitcoms and put them on before bed to lull me to sleep heh. If the problem persists I will throw on the idle timer shutoff as well, but i like to have my xbox on for a variety of reasons..thats just one of them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users