#1 unknownmalice

unknownmalice

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:15 AM

i know there are complete threads about error 16 with and without softmods, but i believe i have a unique question.
I have a softmod(was done by someone else with MA) i got error 16 from someone else running xboxdash.xbe on my e:\ drive (which is the boot drive for some odd reason). when it booted up next time it came up with error 16 because msdash.xbe was not on my c:\ or e:\ but in a dashboard folder where i kept all my dashboards.
I want to know if it would be better in the end to simply buy a modchip rather than hotswapping or switching out hard drives from another xbox. I want to make sure nobody else can mess it up unless they open the xbox, and if they do, i can fix it by switching to a different bios and restoring it. And if it would just be better for me to get a chip, which is the most cost effective one that you can switch bioses and/or have a restore option or the like, that cannot be messed with and will restore it as a fresh mod. I also need to get a solderless chip if i do get one, because i dont know shit about soldering.

Edited by unknownmalice, 09 September 2006 - 07:21 AM.

#2 homelesschicken

homelesschicken

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:28 AM

Try hotswapping with xboxhdm and rebuild c: (restoring c: may require you to softmod ya box again but at least it will be working)

You will first need to unlock the drive...
-unplug IDE cable from DVDROM but keep it plugged into the HDD
-boot up xbox and wait for the lights to flash (error 10 or 11, cant remember which)
-boot up xboxhdm and rebuild c:

*plenty of tuts on hotswapping/xboxhdm

Edited by homelesschicken, 09 September 2006 - 10:33 AM.

#3 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 09 September 2006 - 03:13 PM

The actual dash xbe is rarely the cause. More usual is the clock.xip files are missing or corrupt. Hotswap and a rebuild will cure this

#4 unknownmalice

unknownmalice

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:35 AM

would it not be better to simply get a modchip? i know about hotswapping, and really dont have the means to softmod again as my friend did it for me because he had the game/gamesave

#5 unknownmalice

unknownmalice

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:30 AM

did i mention that it was xboxdash.xbe that caused the prob, not msdash.xbe? also i only want to know if buying a modchip is the better solution in the end. I have the means to get a chip, and install it(as long as its solderless) but will that solve my error 16 if i put a modchip in it? Will i be able to access the xbox via ftp and restore it later with a modchip without hotswapping beforehand or after. I could get it softmodded again, but from what i've read it's a lot easier to fix an xbox with a modchip than with a softmod. The only help i've gotten so far is from people telling me how to fix it with hotswapping. my original post also asked if i did get a modchip, which one would be most cost effective while being solderless and haveing some sort of bios restore function(at the very least letting me switch bioses to one that i set that boots to a dash to restore my files).

#6 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:07 AM

If you buy a chip you will be able to fix it easily yes.
You will need to install the chip then flash the chip then boot from an evoxboot disc or preferably an autoinstaller. From the autoinstaller you can simply restore your dash files which will get rid of error 16

#7 unknownmalice

unknownmalice

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:13 AM

thank you, i guess i'll go read the thread about which modchip to buy....(yet again) still not sure which would be most cost effective but also will give me what i need.

#8 ian451

ian451

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:58 PM

You could hotswop and install Shademand's ready made Xbox Softmod (torrent this ).

**Copyright Files LinkRemoved**]

It costs nothing to try biggrin.gif

Next time you link to this sort of forum post with the downloads for this stuff it will cost you something, Your account
Chancer

Edited by Chancer, 11 September 2006 - 03:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users