5 replies to this topic

#1 J8son

J8son

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:21 AM

I've checked the official sites and tuts and I haven't seen this covered to the best of my knowledge.

Can you play online via XBConnect with backups (DVD-R)?

Thanks

#2 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:29 AM

Certainly... dvd-r, originals, or from the hdd.

#3 J8son

J8son

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:53 AM

I'm soft modding with EvoX (updated to Media Center) and I had to disable Live on my XBox because Forza Motor sport and other games are asking me to download Live updates before I can connect. Rather than FUBAR my dashboard or having to uninstall/reinstall the soft mod every time I run onto a game like this, I'm looking for alternatives.

Does XBox Connect require similar updates to play online or can you just jump on with the original game as is? If so, this looks like the solution I would need.

#4 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:07 AM

The only problem you may have is if you join a room that has players with updates ...and you do not have them. However the host of the room should set the live content flag to indicate such is the case.
Of course the user base is much less than that of XBL though, so sometimes finding a game room for a game other than Halo can be tough.
Obviously since modded consoles are permitted, it may be also hard to find a game without cheaters. But all in all its a good alternative to XBL ( and its free!!) especially if you want to set up your own room and play with friends.

#5 xman954

xman954

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:10 AM

the only thing that would keep you from playing is not having the maps
NDURE softmod allows XBL game updates just not dash updates

#6 J8son

J8son

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:14 AM

In all honestly I can definitely see myself getting a 360 soon and that will take care of my Live account. I do love XBox Live and will be renewing a one year subscription in November. I decided to just wait till I get my 360 (and a better router) to play online. I've decided to just leave my current XBox unplugged (from Live anyway) and use it for my emulators, movies and backed up games.

What does the Halo 2 scene look like on Connect? Is it easy to find a game and do you have as the same variety in play as you would on XBL?

EDIT:

QUOTE(StrictPuppet @ Sep 10 2006, 01:14 AM) View Post

The only problem you may have is if you join a room that has players with updates ...and you do not have them. However the host of the room should set the live content flag to indicate such is the case.
Of course the user base is much less than that of XBL though, so sometimes finding a game room for a game other than Halo can be tough.
Obviously since modded consoles are permitted, it may be also hard to find a game without cheaters. But all in all its a good alternative to XBL ( and its free!!) especially if you want to set up your own room and play with friends.

So your saying if I use a different soft mod I can still play on Live (of course I would be using the Eject Tray method to power on the system in order to disable it first).

I would like to play online but I want NO XBL updates effecting my work on my soft mod. If it's a risk then I'd rather using XBox Connect or not play online at all with this XBox.

Edited by J8son, 10 September 2006 - 06:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users