• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jetblue

jetblue

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:21 AM

Hi. I just got an xbox and really want to mod it.. I have some questions though..

I've already checked the faq/newbie faq part of these forums but I still have some questions.. It just seems alot of technical information.

1st) I have some my own back up dvds but they don't seem to work on my xbox. I do have the dvd kit for it but when I insert the cd it tells me that It needs the original cd.
2n) Do I need a mod to view back-dvds?
3) what mod would be recommended to play back up games and dvds. I was looking at Xenium GOLD SP. I preferr something solderless but someone states there aren't any soldeless for 1.6 xboxes..
I've checked the serial # and it ends in 05 as in made in china. date of mfg is 9-30-03 i assume its 1.4+?
4) the cd-rom sometimes won't open.. i've also searched forums and someone said there's a "wheel" or something similiar that is streched there? and it might need replacemnt. Do i have to get a new cd-rom drive or can it be fixed somehow?

thanks alot.

#2 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:29 AM

QUOTE(jetblue @ Sep 11 2006, 12:28 PM) View Post

Hi. I just got an xbox and really want to mod it.. I have some questions though..

I've already checked the faq/newbie faq part of these forums but I still have some questions.. It just seems alot of technical information.

1st) I have some my own back up dvds but they don't seem to work on my xbox. I do have the dvd kit for it but when I insert the cd it tells me that It needs the original cd.
2n) Do I need a mod to view back-dvds?
3) what mod would be recommended to play back up games and dvds. I was looking at Xenium GOLD SP. I preferr something solderless but someone states there aren't any soldeless for 1.6 xboxes..
I've checked the serial # and it ends in 05 as in made in china. date of mfg is 9-30-03 i assume its 1.4+?
4) the cd-rom sometimes won't open.. i've also searched forums and someone said there's a "wheel" or something similiar that is streched there? and it might need replacemnt. Do i have to get a new cd-rom drive or can it be fixed somehow?

thanks alot.

1) Xbox's are very picky about the media they'll read. Try different/better media.

2) No.

3) Any. An expensive chip will treat you as good as a cheap one, and vice versa. Solderless solutions exsist for 1.6 boxes, just a bit more complicated. If you have a box made earlier than that more the better.

Note: Softmodding is also an option.

4) Either. You could get a whole new drive, one that reads more media, or go for the replacement part if you can find someplace that's selling.

#3 jetblue

jetblue

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:37 AM

QUOTE(Xombe @ Sep 11 2006, 04:36 AM) View Post

1) Xbox's are very picky about the media they'll read. Try different/better media.

2) No.

3) Any. An expensive chip will treat you as good as a cheap one, and vice versa. Solderless solutions exsist for 1.6 boxes, just a bit more complicated. If you have a box made earlier than that more the better.

Note: Softmodding is also an option.

4) Either. You could get a whole new drive, one that reads more media, or go for the replacement part if you can find someplace that's selling.

what would you recomend for a replacement of the cd-rom.. where can I buy those?
and would you personally recomd Xenium Gold SP?

1 more thing If I do get the solder one.. what type of solder should I get.. Are thre any specifications for those?? I want to get a decent one.

Thanks.

Edited by jetblue, 11 September 2006 - 04:40 AM.

#4 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:44 AM

Get a modded Samsung (PC drive to Xbox drive mod) if you can find one. They read, literally, everthing (by design). Otherwise.. hard to say for me... Newer Phillips?

You can order from certain retailers or find one in the Buy & Sell forums here.

I don't really recommend any given chip as they all get the job done. They just hold a bios. If you like bells and whistles then get a Xenium. If you want to save mony, get a 12 buck DuoX2 from appleguru in the BST forum.

Pretty much all solder mods go in the same way, so don't fret about that too much. Edit: Or are you talking about the solder itself (as that's what it looks like). If so, just get any old fine diameter rosin core. Radio Shack special will suffice for a non-1.6 install job.

Edited by Xombe, 11 September 2006 - 04:45 AM.

#5 jetblue

jetblue

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:58 AM

QUOTE(Xombe @ Sep 11 2006, 04:51 AM) View Post

Get a modded Samsung (PC drive to Xbox drive mod) if you can find one. They read, literally, everthing (by design). Otherwise.. hard to say for me... Newer Phillips?

You can order from certain retailers or find one in the Buy & Sell forums here.

I don't really recommend any given chip as they all get the job done. They just hold a bios. If you like bells and whistles then get a Xenium. If you want to save mony, get a 12 buck DuoX2 from appleguru in the BST forum.

Pretty much all solder mods go in the same way, so don't fret about that too much. Edit: Or are you talking about the solder itself (as that's what it looks like). If so, just get any old fine diameter rosin core. Radio Shack special will suffice for a non-1.6 install job.

thanks for the reply

can I get a Samsung dvd drive for pc from someone like newegg.com? or xbox dvdrom are somehow differnet?

#6 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:03 AM

Different, hence the modification....

You can use a PC drive in an Xbox but it won't read games.

Edited by Xombe, 11 September 2006 - 05:04 AM.

#7 jetblue

jetblue

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:10 AM

QUOTE(Xombe @ Sep 11 2006, 05:10 AM) View Post

Different, hence the modification....

You can use a PC drive in an Xbox but it won't read games.

it seems that everyone is talking about Samsung SH-D162C drive.. would this work with xbox for movies and games?

edit: only seems to be in AU and Uk.. is there anything that is similiar?

Edited by jetblue, 11 September 2006 - 05:12 AM.

#8 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:37 AM

Cheap option for the drive is to get someone to fit you a laser and the small drive belt that runs from the tray motor. The faults you have with yours are very common on a Samsung drive, so you may already have a Samsung.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users