2 replies to this topic

#1 desertboy

desertboy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 08:14 AM

Xport has just put the source for PCSX up and credited Peter Bernert for the original plugins. That should answer any critics, may I suggest Xport you release the source at your website and leave the rest upto other people. Their are plenty of other people who can do "The dirty work" e.g. compiling with the XDK and adding bios files for "distribution" I would also remove bios files if I was running #Xbins.

It's not hard to find bios files at all, "LOFL essential files". cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

Feature suggestions to anyone who feels the need to take this further

1. Analolg support (while still keeping the option to map the dpad to joystick on a game by game basis)
2. The ability to turn the turbo mode off in an ini or at an options menu before booting a cd image
3. Multitap support
4. Mouse support (including emulation through the 2 sticks)
5. Light gun support.
6. Frame rate issues (Severe in some games fine in others
7. Much better sound support (including CDDA)
8. Real disk support
9. Ripping bin files from originals directly on you're xbox
10. Antialaising (I think Xport ported Pete's software plugin, if true could give considerable speed boost if someone ports his D3D plugin)
11. Link cable support using ethernet
12. The ability to play an Mp3 over the top, useful for some games that probably aren't taxing the emulator too much (worms world party)
13. A readme explaining in laymens terms what all the graphical fixes do
14. Eventually over time an ini system with standard settings for certain games (Like nearly all N64 Emu's use) so the emu runs in the right mode for the right game.
15. Better compatibilty would be nice
16. Disk swapping (virtual and real)
17. The ability to make toast
dry.gif

#2 CyRUS64

CyRUS64

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 08:22 AM

This is known already... read this thread ( http://forums.xbox-s...ST&f=17&t=54241 ) for why its a good move in the right direction but still only a diff.release (so non-compilable to xbox and not gpl satisfying) and of course nearly all the other emus are gpl'd also so they need source.
Anyhow, I agree with you though that he really should just release the sources like xbmp and let others put together the 'warez' packages.

#3 desertboy

desertboy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (CyRUS64 @ May 13 2003, 10:22 AM)
This is known already... read this thread ( http://forums.xbox-s...ST&f=17&t=54241 ) for why its a good move in the right direction but still only a diff.release (so non-compilable to xbox and not gpl satisfying) and of course nearly all the other emus are gpl'd also so they need source.
Anyhow, I agree with you though that he really should just release the sources like xbmp and let others put together the 'warez' packages.

Xport has only released the differences between the original source and the xbox. Which is a violation of GPL but it's not the worst crime anyone even remotely intrested in the source won't have any trouble combing the 2.

What the scene needs now is an open source dev kit, trouble is no one can be bothered.
Except poor old Caustik.

The original emulators authors are so often overlooked being a big emu fan I know many of the original emulators in PC form and appreciate the work. I wonder if Strmmnmm would have finished the N64 emu if there had been an suitable legal homebrew dev kit.

My top 5 emu's for which I'm forever indebted to the authors for

1. UAE a simple work of art, various people but Bernd Schmidt and Alessandro Bissacco, Hannu Rummukainen, Andre Beck, Ed Hanway, Denis Sablic, Marcus Sundberg, Samuel Devulder, Stefan Reinauer, Marco Nelissen, Thierry Lescot, Bruno Coste, Oliver Moehrke, Per Olofssen, Tristan Cavelier, Ruben Martinez, Olivier Raoul, Markus Gietzen, Christian Schmitt, Herman ten Brugge, Tauno Taipaleenmaki, Michael Krause, Kai Kollmorgen, Stefan Ropke, Joanne Dow, Rodney Hester, Volker Zota, David Varley, Christian Schmitt, Brian King, Samuel Mackrill, Dirk Vangestel, Thorsten Frueauf, Ernesto Corvi, Gustavo Goedert, Peter Remmers, Tim Gunn, Nemo Pohle, Michael Sontheimer, Christian Bauer, Patrick Hanevold, Ian Stephenson, Olaf 'Olsen' Barthel, Krister Bergman, Manfred Thole, Paul Kienitz, Mathias Ortmann, Peter Teichmann spring to mind.

2. Project64 by far the best N64 emu, Tooie, Jabo, Witten, myself, Gent, Radeon, Azimer you did good, you did real good.

3. Mame possibly the greatest emulator ever written by more people than I could possible mention just go to the homepage and see just what went into mame even before Superfro started.

4. EPSXE the greatest PSX emulator pity it's not open source, The ePSXe team that's what they call themselves on their website.

5. Virtual PC for mac's only used a few times but a software emulator that allows you to use windows 2000 on a high end mac's pretty impressive. See there webesite for more info.

To give the N64 contest any semblence of credibility the prize fund should be split 50/50 with the original emu authors. Most emulator authors have a donate button on their site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users