#1 ntloser

ntloser

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:47 AM

Hi Guys,

Are either of these drives okay for burning back ups?

Just to make sure I understand, the booktype should be set to DVD-ROM ?

I can just set that in DVD decryptor then burn with clone cd?

Thanks

#2 teknicz12

teknicz12

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:57 AM

The Lite-on SHM-165H6S is a great drive. I bought it because it could bitset and have been very happy with how it has worked. Ive burned hundreds of discs DVD+R ,cds, and DL's. All backups work on 3 Hitachi's ive tested on and all Samsung. I dont even have to test anymore. I know there r going to work. I do use Verbatium Dvd+r Dl for my main backups but if you havnt noticed verbatium figured it out and now all the prices are going up. You cant find these discs for under 2 buks anywhere. I just ordered 20 verbs for 33 that included chipping two weeks ago, cant get that deal anymore. I decided to go out on a limp and try something totally different and dumb. Just got a pack of office depot brand dvd+r Dl 25 buks for 25 disks. We all know office deopt doesnt make there own discs so it much actually work ok. They have been working great on My hitachi 46d (Isnt this the drive everyone says suks, shitachi or some Bs like that. Well guess what mines kickin ass, super quite and not one error. An extra bonus is this drive has lightscribe. The dvd+r Lightscribe are not that much more expensive But Damn does my DVD collection look so much better. Also thicker protection on the top of the discs. Img burn will change the eeprom so all your dvd+r and DVD+R Dl will be burned at DVD-rom no matter what program you use. I couldnt ask for any more, bought three of them. They were 30 buks with free shipping from newegg.

Sorry for the rant, but its been awhile since I bought a computer part that actually did what it was supposted to. No need to update any firmware. I burned a xbox 360 game right out the box. Great buy for 30 buys and yes it works perfect for your xbox and everything else you throw at it.

Im out

-tek

Btw got mine at newegg. They change the proce on them sometimes, but Ive noticed on sat sun they sometimes drop the shipping charges.

Dont sleep on this drive, im out

#3 rat_poison

rat_poison

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE(teknicz12 @ Sep 13 2006, 12:04 AM) View Post

I dont even have to test anymore. I know there r going to work. I do use Verbatium Dvd+r Dl for my main backups but if you havnt noticed verbatium figured it out and now all the prices are going up. You cant find these discs for under 2 buks anywhere.

Sorry for the rant, but its been awhile since I bought a computer part that actually did what it was supposted to. No need to update any firmware. I burned a xbox 360 game right out the box. Great buy for 30 buys and yes it works perfect for your xbox and everything else you throw at it.

That's how I feel about my pioneer - i was so worried about my backups not working or some other fuckery problem creeping up. I went through 7 verbatim discs - with a LG burner and Hitachi Xbox ROM...

needless to say - got a Pioneer 111d and my problems washed away, kinda like a hooker getting baptized... No - a lot like it actually.

Verbatim's I bought were over a year old - they were in the $50 for 3 packs. (I got them back when Halo2 came out... so do the math) - all failed.

I'm gonna have to make a stand and say it's not the media - but the burner. Media helps! But won't make or break your backup... the burner will everytime.

This is stupid - I think i've replied to about 9 posts - and I find myself repeating myself in every one...

Media isn't 'key', the burner is. IF everyone buys a Pioneer - these forums will become quiet overnight.

Edited by rat_poison, 13 September 2006 - 04:07 PM.

#4 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:57 PM

Think again buddy. Media can most certainly make or break compatibility. You are correct that burner and firmware revision also play a big role but people often miss the bigger picture. Meaning that they get a working backup and automatically assume that the media/burn is decent. Few people actually do the studies necessary to take a look at long term durability studies on media (or do error rate scans of their own). Seen it happen many a time where people boast that they are using cheap POS media and having great luck, only to come back on the forum crying a few months to a year down the road asking why their backups are either having trouble playing or no longer working. As mentioned elsewhere it also all depends on where you are located if you live in North America THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to go with cheap POS media. Verbatim can often end up down in the same price range as cheap quality D/L media and sometimes can actually end up being cheaper. Keep an eye out on the Verbatim at such places as http://www.newegg.com, Best Buy, CompUSA, Staples and Circuit City. In Canada Futureshop has started having very reasonable sales on the D/L Verbatim on a pretty regular basis now (about every 2-3 weeks).

#5 sosotiit

sosotiit

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,034 posts
  • Interests:Techno gadgets and espresso coffee
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:17 AM

Fully agree with Jesterrace on this.
The media is important in more ways than we think when we start burning CD/DVD.
It is like the old tapes we used to record music (yes I am an old man). We all knew that poor quality meant that after a few months sound would change compare to better quality tapes. Well DVD are not different, they may work today but try them in 6 months and you may be out of luck if you used a pood quality DVD.
If you are interested by this you should check CDFreaks which is to burning DVD what XBOX-SCene is to the XBOX.
You will find that whether you go Pioneer 108 (or 111) or Liteon165H6S, it will have less impact on the burn than using poor vs high quality DVD.
If I remember correctly, Jesterrace is a moderator of CDfreaks and he probably knows more about burning than most of us will ever know, his post is right on.

As for the Brand issue, I had pioneers 04, 06, 08; but my last burner I decided to go Liteon 165H6S. I beleive both are great burner and you can't go wrong with either.
Reason I went liteon is the community and the scanning abilities: The liteon community at cdfreaks is one of the most active with several tools to Backup firmware, change designated media speed...test firmware in unofficial collaboration with Liteon. On top of this you can use software like nero CD/DVDspeed to scan your burns and assess of how the burn went. For example Pioneer are not recognize as good drive to scan.
So if you are interested by that, you will be extremely happy with a liteon. If not they are both great burners.

This is a scan of a Backup I did yesterday. That, for a DL is a very good results biggrin.gif .

Just to make sure I understand, the booktype should be set to DVD-ROM ?

I can just set that in DVD decryptor then burn with clone cd?

By the way the answer to that is yes

all meant with the highest respect.
rgds, soso

Edited by sosotiit, 14 September 2006 - 01:29 AM.

#6 rat_poison

rat_poison

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE(sosotiit @ Sep 13 2006, 08:24 PM) View Post

It is like the old tapes we used to record music (yes I am an old man). We all knew that poor quality meant that after a few months sound would change compare to better quality tapes. Well DVD are not different,

To compair DVD DL's to analog audio tapes from three decades ago is obsurd. They must be manufactured to a standard of digital quality. You're compairing bricks to apples here. Tapes from the 80's - it wasn't like you needed the 'backup' of the tape you had to sound exactly like the original or it wouldn't play... c'mon...

DVD's contain probably in the magnitude of billions of times the data capacity than any analog audio tape could provide, should an analog audio tape ever be used again to store data is byond me... goodness - i suppose you remember the Vic 20 then as well ... copy or not my tapes never loaded wink.gif

Don't go buy off the back of a truck - but don't blow your farm on Verbatim disc's either.

I might be so bitter toward Verbatim's because they cost me 50 for 3... and they all failed - because my burner was bullshit.

#7 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:02 PM

I take it you didn't bother looking in at the futureshop specials that go on about every 2-3 weeks then. $30CDN for a 20 pack of Verbatim D/L DVD+R. Even the cheap quality crap isn't much cheaper than that. Bottom line is that if you live in North America there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON for you to get hosed on the price of Verbatim D/L DVD+R, you just have to keep an eye out for specials and you can often get them for the same price or less than cheap quality D/L media. I'm surprised that you didn't even bother having a look at the threads that people have posted here about the deal: http://www.futuresho...amp;catid=12501
I don't know where you are shopping man, but you got ripped off big time on that Verbatim deal. Even the regular price at futureshop is less than $4CDN a disc and as mentioned above they are starting to have these Verbatim on sale every few weeks now.
I'm glad to see that your reasoning for believing that no one needs to bother with Verbatim is so well founded. rolleyes.gif

Edited by jesterrace777, 14 September 2006 - 09:10 PM.

#8 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE(rat_poison @ Sep 14 2006, 06:59 PM) View Post
I might be so bitter toward Verbatim's because they cost me 50 for 3... and they all failed - because my burner was bullshit.

So that makes you bitter towards the Verbs. Sorry I don't see the logic there.
As mentioned don't hate the discs because you didn't shop around for the correct price and certainly not because your burner was not up to it.

Edited by Chancer, 15 September 2006 - 12:55 PM.

#9 rat_poison

rat_poison

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Sep 14 2006, 04:09 PM) View Post

I take it you didn't bother looking in at the futureshop specials that go on about every 2-3 weeks then. $30CDN for a 20 pack of Verbatim D/L DVD+R. Even the cheap quality crap isn't much cheaper than that. Bottom line is that if you live in North America there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON for you to get hosed on the price of Verbatim D/L DVD+R, you just have to keep an eye out for specials and you can often get them for the same price or less than cheap quality D/L media. I'm surprised that you didn't even bother having a look at the threads that people have posted here about the deal: http://www.futuresho...amp;catid=12501
I don't know where you are shopping man, but you got ripped off big time on that Verbatim deal. Even the regular price at futureshop is less than $4CDN a disc and as mentioned above they are starting to have these Verbatim on sale every few weeks now.
I'm glad to see that your reasoning for believing that no one needs to bother with Verbatim is so well founded. rolleyes.gif

It's sad - but future shop only reciently started stocking verbatims. When I bought my first double layer discs about 2 years ago, the only place in my city was Staples Business Depot which had double layer discs. And those are the 49.99 for 3 I was talking about...

I got a bunch yesterday, paid less for 30 than i did for 3.

... To tell you the truth, Verbatim discs were the only double layer discs I could find... and at Staples of all places... and for 50 bucks for 3. I shit my pants but got them - used 1 and stuck the other 2 away, almost 20 a disc... jeeze.

QUOTE(Chancer @ Sep 15 2006, 08:00 AM) View Post

So that makes you bitter towards the Verbs. Sorry I don't see the logic there.
As mentioned don't hate the discs because you didn't shop around for the correct price and certainly not because your burner was not up to it.

It was the cost of the discs. How could 3 blank discs cost more than the hardware used to write on them.

That's why I was bitter - read.

Edited by rat_poison, 15 September 2006 - 05:16 PM.

#10 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 15 September 2006 - 05:45 PM

damn poison.. futureshop had them for $20 a 30 pack the other day sad.gif

#11 rat_poison

rat_poison

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE(ILLusions0fGrander @ Sep 15 2006, 12:52 PM) View Post

damn poison.. futureshop had them for $20 a 30 pack the other day sad.gif

Nono, i got 3 packs of 20 - god bless.

well worth it. Like anything else - times change. Of all places i figured Future Shop would have double layers first (2 years ago) ... Staples beat them to it... in Ottawa at least...

#12 gangbanghomie

gangbanghomie

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 01:34 AM

wow this answered my question. Any way can some give me a list of all the burners that work with it. i think i might have one.

#13 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:09 AM

In short a late model Pioneer or Lite-On are your best bet for overall compatibility with the 360 drives.

#14 ntloser

ntloser

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:00 AM

Thanks... the Lite-On has made 4 out of 4 good back ups that seem to read as fast as the originals in 360. Using Verbatum DL +R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users