5 replies to this topic

#1 southcoastboy

southcoastboy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:21 AM

Hello,

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to put a new HDD in my xbox? A friend soft-modded my xbox using Splinter Cell exploit with memory card for me around 12 months ago and my Xbox currently has UnleashX Dashboard (v.038 something) on it as well as a couple of apps: xbmc dvdv2xbox etc. I have been reading alot of tutorials to get an idea of what I need to do.

Basically my goal is to turn the xbox into a media centre I'm not fussed about playing games from hdd I just want to use the additional disk space to store movies music etc.

From what I've seen the process of installing a new hdd in a soft-modded box seems a bit complex (attaching xbox hdd to pc writing signatures in hex etc. seems a bit more trouble than I want to go to. So basically my question is how easy is it to install a chip in a soft-modded xbox? Is there anything I need to be aware of before I install the chip, should I (and if so how do I) revert back to a bog-standard xbox before installing the chip and new hdd.

Another quickie while I am here my PC is in a different room to xbox I have a wireless adsl router next to my PC but use RJ45 cable, what sort of streaming performance can I expect over wireless once I have my xbmx set up? Is it better to have wireless PCI card in PC and re-locate router (telephone point is available next to xbox) or buy a wireless adapter for xbox? Personally I would prefer to have both hard-wired with good old copper for reliability just wondered if anyone had any good/bad experiences on this side of things?

All advice gladly recieved

#2 dpbmt

dpbmt

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:21 AM

installing a chips pretty easy follow the instructions and solder it in, or get a solderless adaptor, you
dont need to do anything to your xbox before you chip it, just install the chip then whack in your new
HD, format it and put your apps etc back on. Look for slayers or AID , there both autoinstallers
that will format your new HD and load apps etc to your xbox automatically (hence the name
autoinstaller tongue.gif )
Never used wireless to stream stuff but ive heard its pretty shit, stick to the gold ol' cables

#3 southcoastboy

southcoastboy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:09 PM

dpbmt ,

thanks for the prompt reply, been out and bought a 160 hdd at lunch and ordered a solderless excuter 2.6 chip also got hold of a copy of AID 3.0 so will have a crack at it this weekend.

Am reading the AID manual now to make sure I do everything in the right order.

Can I back up existing game saves and config (current xbe files etc.) from the AId installer or should I do that from my existing Dashboard first?

Cheers

#4 dpbmt

dpbmt

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:27 PM

have you got ftp access to your xbox, if not youll need a crossover cable then just transfer all
your files from your xbox to your pc.
then install your chip, flash it with a bios, turn it off + put new HD in, boot aid and format your HD
,with aid still booted up ftp your files back to your xbox.
use the 5035 bios -- 5035_old for ver. 1.0-1.5 and
5035_v16 for ver. 1.6 -- get them from xbins (in the xecutor2 bios folder (multi version))
follow the flashbios guide in my sig for flashing your chip

#5 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:34 PM

I am not sure what tutorial you read on upgrading the HD in a softmod, but it must have been very old.

Upgrading the HD is a relatively easy step. I won't go into it since you have the chip ordered.

Copy your C and E drives to the PC. After setting up the new HD, you can FTP the Tdata and Udata folders back over and have your game saves back.

Set up your HD to boot from XBMC if possible. Get the new MC360 skin and your media center is set up.

Look into the Netgear plug in adapters. They plug into the electric outlets and use the house wiring to transmit your data. We had a LAN party where we were working off of 5 of these. All games worked without a hitch. Streaming shows from the PC to the Xbox were seamless. You would need two of these. They are $100 for the pair, you may get them cheaper online.

#6 southcoastboy

southcoastboy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:47 PM

dpbmt, thanks for that I was having an interesting 'discussion' with a colleague (who has already done his and got me into it this week) about how I was gonna install bios etc. I was (wrongly it would seem) under the impression the aid autoinstaller would allow me do install chip boot from the dvd and go from there but from reading your post I can see now I need to follow your flashbios guide (on my way there after this post) first.

Don't have FTP at the moment but just need to plug a cable in a configure an ip address etc.

I was thinking of using the plug-in adapters over the mains ring but wasn't convinced of how they perform may well give them a spin to see how they go

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users