404 replies to this topic

#1 rgall0

rgall0

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:34 AM

Read before continuing sleeping.gif
1. Modify your Xbox at your own risk, I will not be held responsible for any damages.
2. You need to know how to disassemble your xbox 360 and remove the motherboard. uhh.gif
3. You also need basic soldering skills. uhh.gif

First of all I love the tutorials an xbox-scene and used many of them from time to time so I just wanted to give back.

I've searched and couldn't find anyting about the front fan header so here you go, if there is another tut or post then pass on bye.

I'm a cooling nut and can't stand anything but room temp air coming form my 360. Unlike the old 1.0 xbox with it's two fan headers and four pin molex microsoft left us high and dry for adding additional cooling that can be easly unplugged. Yeah I know about the DVD cable adapter and usb but the problem is your stealing power from circuits that need it and might ultimatly damage your box. This mod pulls 12v power directly form the power supply before it passes through any circuits. And this mod is free if you have an old motherboard laying aroung and a soldering iron.

Stuff you need
1. Soldering Iron.
2. Solder
3. Fan header from old motherboard. They can be difficult to remove without melting so you might want to buy one.
4. 3/64 drill bit or a tad smaller but no larger.

Notice the solder in the holes.
Dont bother trying to remove the solder from the side holes because you can't or I couldn't with my $370 hexacon iron.
I don't think they're drilled all the way through.
IPB Image

I used a 3/64 drill bit to get the side holes clean and I think it did a pretty good job.

IPB Image

Here is the point before bridging.
If you want 12v then bridge R7V7
If you want 5v then bridge R7V6
I know for a fact that the 12v is directly from the power supply.
I'll check the 5v on my ginny pig and update in the next few days.
DON'T BRIDGE BOTH.

IPB Image

This is what 12v should look like after soldering.
And no pointing out my bitchen soldering job. I need new tips.

IPB Image

Flip the board back over and it's ready to go.

IPB Image

Here's a 12v 70mm fan working off the header.
My camera didn't catch the fan spinning but you can see the blue LED's.

IPB Image

My sons setup.
Fan doesn't look to shabby.
The new fan blows so much that you can feel cool air coming from cracks all aroung the covers.
I know it needs a grill but 70mm grills are hard to come by unless you want to pay $8 shipping on Ebay. I'll end up converting a 80mm grill later.
IPB Image

Hope this short tutorial helps someone. smile.gif

Now I just need to find another 70mm blue LED fan for my 360. sad.gif

Darn spoiled kid.

#2 pablot

pablot

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:14 AM

uh-oh.. drilling on a mobo? hehe, just be careful if you do that.

The reason the solder is so hard to get out there (I'm 99% sure they are drilled all the way through) is that they connect to huuuuge groundplanes. So its close to impossible to heat the solder up enough because all that copper arround it acts as a big heat sink.

/pablot

#3 cr4ck3rj4ck

cr4ck3rj4ck

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 131 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:25 PM

Thats pretty cool, thanks for taking the time to make this. I'm sure a mod will see this and add it to the tutorials topic.

BTW; great way to get started on the scene! Thanks!

Edited by cr4ck3rj4ck, 20 September 2006 - 02:26 PM.

#4 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:34 PM

Added to Tutorials located here. Under cooling mods.

#5 xXP-UnitXx

xXP-UnitXx

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:48 PM

kick azz! too bad im to scared to drill into my mobo, but great tut!

#6 nekkron99

nekkron99

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6c

Posted 20 September 2006 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE(xXP-UnitXx @ Sep 20 2006, 06:55 AM) View Post

kick azz! too bad im to scared to drill into my mobo, but great tut!

Ditto on all accounts.

#7 rgall0

rgall0

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 04:52 PM

I didn't actualy use a drill gun but put the bit in my drill press and raised the board by hand.

#8 G0t M4xx 21

G0t M4xx 21

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:14 AM

Good tut, but I wouldn't reccomend drilling the board, you can remove the solder with a hot iron and some desoldering braid.

Another cool thing to do is place a resistor on R7V6 (5v) instead of bridging it, then you have a nifty source to run LEDs from

#9 rgall0

rgall0

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE(G0t M4xx 21 @ Sep 21 2006, 05:21 AM) View Post

Good tut, but I wouldn't reccomend drilling the board, you can remove the solder with a hot iron and some desoldering braid.

Another cool thing to do is place a resistor on R7V6 (5v) instead of bridging it, then you have a nifty source to run LEDs from

I used my hexacon iron @ 850F with and without braid with no luck, I should have used my plasma torch LOL. I have drilled two boards with no problems so far. You could twist the bit between your fingers but it might take a good 30 minutes or so. Good point on the restistor.

#10 TheFear

TheFear

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:51 PM

I've seen that pinout point since I got my launch console and I've heard so many people talk about it being a 3 pin connector spot but I've never actually seen anyone put one in yet untill now. So now we know it actually works smile.gif

#11 BecomethemonsteR

BecomethemonsteR

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:53 PM

I think I've found an easier way!! I'm going to test it tonight. If my idea works, there will be no drilling necessary. If you look at the front and back side of the board, the solder is on both sides. Meaning the holes are drilled all the way through. All you need is a few standard paperclips, needlenose pliers and a lighter. Straiten a paperclip and hold it in the needlenose pliers and heat it with the lighter. When you feel it might be hot enough, push the paperclip through the hole. Hopefully you won't have any trouble. Repeat for the other two holes, bridge for either 12 or 5v and you should be all set.

I was ready to do this thismorning before work, but do you think I could find a lighter?? I live in a house full of smokers, but not ONE FREAKING LIGHTER!!!

#12 FILTHY J NASTY

FILTHY J NASTY

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Interests:Quads and cars! I used to love modding 360s, but when I got my new falcon I stopped =/ .
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE(BecomethemonsteR @ Sep 29 2006, 12:00 AM) View Post

I think I've found an easier way!! I'm going to test it tonight. If my idea works, there will be no drilling necessary. If you look at the front and back side of the board, the solder is on both sides. Meaning the holes are drilled all the way through. All you need is a few standard paperclips, needlenose pliers and a lighter. Straiten a paperclip and hold it in the needlenose pliers and heat it with the lighter. When you feel it might be hot enough, push the paperclip through the hole. Hopefully you won't have any trouble. Repeat for the other two holes, bridge for either 12 or 5v and you should be all set.

I was ready to do this thismorning before work, but do you think I could find a lighter?? I live in a house full of smokers, but not ONE FREAKING LIGHTER!!!

Huh?

Id get it lol if u try it i want pics and A HUGE DETAILED tut please! lol

#13 BecomethemonsteR

BecomethemonsteR

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE(FILTHY J NASTY @ Sep 28 2006, 07:21 PM) View Post

Huh?

Id get it lol if u try it i want pics and A HUGE DETAILED tut please! lol

I will make a tut, but the credit will still go to rgall0.

#14 FILTHY J NASTY

FILTHY J NASTY

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Interests:Quads and cars! I used to love modding 360s, but when I got my new falcon I stopped =/ .
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:51 AM

Where can i get a a fan header?

#15 BecomethemonsteR

BecomethemonsteR

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:29 AM

THanks rgall0. This works like a charm. I didn't use a paperclip and heat. The solder is too thick. Instead I used a very small precision screwdriver. It is very easy to do. Give it a shot.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Edited by Chancer, 23 July 2008 - 06:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users