• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheSchonk

TheSchonk

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Skateing, Wakeboarding, Wacthing TV, and chilling with my friends.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:53 AM

I really want a mp3 player but im having some trouble deciding. I was thinking about getting a new cellphone with a built in mp3 player or just buying an ok cellphone and an ipod or something like that seperate. also I would really like to buy an video ipod and I was wondering if it would be better to get one of those. Thanks for any help!

#2 traverso

traverso

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:58 AM

Id say go with the ipod nano.

Nanos = flashdrive = long life
Regular Ipods = hdd = dead in a few months

Ipod hard drives are no different that normal PC hard drives. If you walked around with a PC hdd in your pocket and then tryed to plug it in, would you expect it to work?

#3 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:39 AM

a zune perhaps?

if not then a sony ericsson and a 2.0GB card works well.

#4 Luriden

Luriden

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE(traverso @ Oct 4 2006, 11:05 PM) View Post

Regular Ipods = hdd = dead in a few months

Dead in a few months? I"ve been using my 30 gig video iPod for about every day over the past year and it doesn't seem that dead to me... and that includes sticking it in my pocket. I take it with me everyday to college and it stays in my pocket the whole time and hasn't shown any problems. Please, gain some knowledge about iPods before you dismiss them as just "hard drives".

Nanos are overpriced. They're tiny, sure, but that's just it. They're tiny. They're great if you don't have a lot of music and you don't mind taking it to your computer to swap out music when you need something new, but if you have a big library, get a regular iPod.

Edited by Luriden, 05 October 2006 - 05:52 PM.

#5 deadparrot

deadparrot

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE(traverso @ Oct 5 2006, 06:05 AM) View Post

Ipod hard drives are no different that normal PC hard drives. If you walked around with a PC hdd in your pocket and then tryed to plug it in, would you expect it to work?

No, they are not. Portable hard drives can take a lot more damage because that's what they are designed to do. I've run my iPod in Finland at -15C (15C below the minimum operating temp) and it lived to tell the tale. However, a 5 foot drop flat onto it's back will crack the disk and it will freeze up on a few songs (sent that one back on warranty and had it replaced at no charge).

#6 BAKUH

BAKUH

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:15 AM

if i were you i would wait for the Zune to comeout and get an ok cell phone

#7 CattyKid

CattyKid

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • Interests:Everything

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:43 PM

My 4g iPod fell about 3 feet onto hardwood a few weeks ago. Freezes up since then for maybe 15 seconds every once in a while... but still works. I've had it since... christmas 04... going strong.
Try a Gigabeat. They can be has VERY cheap... too bad they had 30g Creative ZenMs on Woot yesterday for 180 plus shipping.
30g Toshiba Gigabeat S's are on sale at Buy.com for 180 plus shipping, I beleive. Napster compatable.. I've been thinking about one.

As for someone saying a nano or 2Gig flash card... I don't think that is enough. I mean, looking right now at iTunes, I mean I have 800mb of JUST Eminem... all CDs and songs. Crazy, eh? And that's not counting the songs I've bought just because he was featured in them and it needs an update. I'd say somewhere around 1 gig is my Eminem collection. So, IMO 2gb isn't anywhere near enough, nor is a Nano (and I think you can get somethign ebtter for the same price).
But that's just my opinion.

Edited by CattyKid, 14 October 2006 - 05:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users