11 replies to this topic

#1 price87

price87

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:42 AM

i have an old processor fan laying aorund and i was wondering if it would be a good idea to put it on the power supply.

i tried to open the thing but the screws seem to be welded shut..or i have the strentgh of a girl blink.gif

since i cant open it i was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to drill holes threw the brick with hitting somehting important and then put the fan over the holes.

and if that is possible can someone show me how wire a cpu fan to run off an exernal power source or even a usb cord so i can plug it into my 360.

sorry if any of this sounds stupid i know nothing about electronics

#2 Sloppy Fat Dump

Sloppy Fat Dump

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:Technology and success
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:03 AM

Considering you know "nothing" about electronics you may want to reconsider adding a additional fan to your PSU. Heh, I mean that in a polite nice way.

As for the PSU itself; I'm not completley familiar with it since I myself haven't opened it but I'll try to help you out. If you take a look the holes are filled up with hot glue (I think) so that might be the welding you were talking about. If that's not the problem I would suggest getting some sort of "clamping wrench" so you can get a little torq to help flex those girl muscles!

Isn't there already fans in the PSU? Yikes.... what a good help I am happy.gif !

#3 price87

price87

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:00 AM

so i got the screws off and in no way will this thing come apart, i have pulled yanked hit pryed and its still as solid as if it still had the screws in it grr.gif

#4 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:00 AM

Messing with the PSU is dangerous and shouldn't be something that's torn apart unless ya know what you're doing.

There's no real reason to stick another fan on the PSU (it has one inside it already). If it's in such a place where it can't get any air at all another fan isn't gonna help it at all, just relocate it to somewhere it's not all confined and can "breath" a little bit. There's barely enough room inside that poor thing for the parts it already has in it.

http://forums.xbox-s...o...70647&st=30

#5 SuDDeN

SuDDeN

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Interests:Love Gaming and PC's
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 26 September 2006 - 01:35 PM

I did.... on the side I put a 40mm fan and on the top towards the front (over the Heat Sink) I put a 60mm. As well as cut all of the top vent lines up to the blower fan(internal).

It's ghetto looking, dry.gif but effective cooling. (I'd just soldered the wire together and used an old Power Supply with a On off switch. I put it behind the Entertainment Center and you really cant hear it, nor see it - so eh.. tongue.gif

IPB Image

Oh - and yeah it's two tone - cause once you start to dremel the top vent lines - it gets messy and then you sand and etc. so you wind up painting.

And for the time to get the PSU out of the case - it takes time and patience, I had that white sticky thermal paste on me from head to toe. It's like someone took a grease gun to the inside of that thing and squirted a bunch. (That's whats holding the internals in place and it is STICKY.)

#6 xzenor

xzenor

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 01:42 PM

blink.gif Man I hope that solved an issue, cause..........That is ugly.

#7 SuDDeN

SuDDeN

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Interests:Love Gaming and PC's

Posted 26 September 2006 - 02:40 PM

tongue.gif Not really solving an issue.
Just did it for the Hell of it!

Trust me - once I started - I had hopes of it being Killer - But once the dremel met the plastic.... it was F**K-IT from there on. sad.gif I couldn't keep the vents from vibrating while slicing them down.
If I remember correctly I got the idea from a GSX "PRO" mod. He actually put LED's in it and it was freaking amazing. biggrin.gif
But like I said - It's suspended behind the ET and it's not seen. It's kinda like insurance, same reason I swapped the Fans in the 360 to Talismoon and 12v modded and did the Artic Thermal Upgrade. I have an original release day 360 with no issues yet. "KNOCKS Hard on WOOD"

Like I said - It's UGLY but effective. blink.gif

Edited by SuDDeN, 26 September 2006 - 02:41 PM.

#8 NOZb2k

NOZb2k

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:23 PM

You could also just remove the original and place a stronger one in there.

#9 price87

price87

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:26 AM

it is quite ghetto buti think that it looks pretty good, and anyway you could put up some more pics? cause thats exactly what i wanna try to do on my weekend.

maybe even show how to hook up the wires. i really dont want my 360 crapping out on me. and i do have my psu in a ventilated spot. it has atleast a fot all around and a 120mm fan blowing on it but i just wasnt somehting that will give me peace of mind.

#10 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:21 AM

QUOTE(price87 @ Sep 25 2006, 09:49 PM) View Post

sorry if any of this sounds stupid i know nothing about electronics

This would be the text that shows that you should give it to someone who "does know something about electronics"

Interesting work none the less but doubtful it will fix the problem.

#11 jeffek

jeffek

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:55 AM

just want you to know there are capacitors in there that hold alot of juice and aperage.
enough to kill you !!! even when it is not plugged into the wall

use extreme caution when messing with the psu or you will be sorry

#12 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:26 AM

This post is over 6 months old, if he opened it up by now and wasn't careful, then he's already found that out the hard way.

Closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users