xboxgamer733

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:44 AM

Seeing as there have been more members needing to know how to transfer data between Xboxes, I felt that I could help by writing a helpful guide. There are surely other methods in addition to those that I'll describe, but I feel that mine are a little easier to follow. smile.gif If anyone else has a different way of accomplishing these transfers, please PM me to have it added!

Xbox-to-Xbox transfers are described briefly by mrRobinson's wonderful Xbox networking guide, but I would assume that some may need the instructions to be expanded upon.

I'd also like to note that, in my transferring methods, I use 'UnleashX' as the dashboard. If you prefer, though, you can most certainly use 'Avalaunch' as an alternative.

Xbox-to-Xbox, via System Link Cable/crossover cable

A great advantage to transferring data between Xboxes or computers with solely a crossover cable is the transfer rate. Because there are no network devices connected between each Xbox to cause a delay, steady transfer rates of over ten MB/s are not uncommon.

1.) Load UnleashX on both Xboxes. If neither the donating Xbox nor the receiving Xbox have UnleashX installed, simply install UnleashX as an application, and execute it.

2.) Edit the network settings of one Xbox to look like this:

CODE
Type                  Static
IP Address            192.168.0.3
Subnet Mask           255.255.255.0
Gateway               192.168.0.1
DNS1                  0.0.0.0
DNS2                  0.0.0.0

3.) Edit the network settings of the second Xbox to look like this:

CODE
Type                  Static
IP Address            192.168.0.4
Subnet Mask           255.255.255.0
Gateway               192.168.0.1
DNS1                  0.0.0.0
DNS2                  0.0.0.0

You can edit UnleashX's network settings either by navigating to its 'Network' settings menu, or by manually editing its 'config.xml' configuration file on your computer, and transferring it to the Xboxes.

4.) Save these network changes. After confirming that your System Link Cable/crossover cable is connected to each Xbox, restart both Xboxes.

5.) Select the main-menu option 'File Explorer' on one Xbox. Push the 'white' button, scroll down, and press the 'A' button on 'Switch to FTP Browser...'. If, for some reason, you're not able to connect to the other Xbox, try repeating this step on the other Xbox.

6.) a. To transfer files to the receiving Xbox, navigate to their desired placement directory in the left panel, pull the 'right' trigger, and navigate to the location of the desired files on the donor Xbox. By pressing the 'X' button, highlight the files that you want transferred to the receiving Xbox, push either the 'start' or 'white' buttons, and then select the 'Transfer...' option to begin their transfer.

b. To transfer files to the donor Xbox, simply reverse the above step.

Xbox-to-Xbox, via router/similar device (without a computer)

If two, or more, Xboxes are connected to a router, transferring data between them is fairly simple. Other than enabling the 'DHCP' network setting on each Xbox, editing other network options is usually not necessary.

1.) Load UnleashX on the Xboxes. If neither the donating Xboxes nor the receiving Xboxes have UnleashX installed, simply install UnleashX as an application, and execute it.

2.) Connect each Xbox to the router using a standard, straight-throught, patch cable. Although some routers allow you to use crossover cables in place of normal ethernet cables, first try using straight-through cables to ensure that the network is set up correctly.

3.) Edit the network settings of the Xboxes to automatically be assigned an IP address by 'DHCP'.

4.) Save these network changes. After confirming that an ethernet cable is connected to each Xbox, restart the Xboxes.

5.) Select the main-menu option 'File Explorer' on one Xbox. Push the 'white' button, scroll down, and press the 'A' button on 'Switch to FTP Browser...'. If, for some reason, you're not able to connect to another Xbox, try repeating this step on the a different Xbox.

6.) a. To transfer files to a receiving Xbox, navigate to their desired placement directory in the left panel, pull the 'right' trigger, and navigate to the location of the desired files on a donor Xbox. By pressing the 'X' button, highlight the files that you want transferred to the receiving Xbox, push either the 'start' or 'white' buttons, and then select the 'Transfer...' option to begin their transfer.

b. To transfer files to a donor Xbox, simply reverse the above step.

Xbox-to-Xbox, via router/similar device (with a computer)

If your Xbox's dashboard doesn't have a file explorer built-in to it, you can use your computer to control the transfers.

1.) Connect each Xbox to the router using a standard, straight-throught, patch cable. Although some routers allow you to use crossover cables in place of normal ethernet cables, first try using straight-through cables to ensure that the network is set up correctly.

2.) Edit the network settings of the Xboxes to automatically be assigned an IP address by 'DHCP'.

3.) Save these network changes. After confirming that an ethernet cable is connected to each Xbox, restart the Xboxes.

4.) Install an FTP client on your computer. I recommend SmartFTP because it's easy to use, and it's a no-cost application.

5.) a. To connect to an Xbox using SmartFTP, type its IP address (viewable under your dashboard's network settings) in the 'Address' text box, 'xbox' in the 'Login' text box, 'xbox' in the 'Password' text box, '21' in the 'Port' text box, and press 'Enter' on your keyboard. You should then be able to see the Xbox's root partitions.

b. To connect to another Xbox, click on 'New Remote Browser', under the 'File' pull-down menu. Again, enter the Xbox's appropriate information, and press the 'OK' button.

6.) To transfer files between Xboxes, simply copy-and-paste or drag-and-drop them between consoles.

Edited by xboxgamer733, 19 December 2006 - 05:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users