Photo

Does Anyone Recommend Waiting For The 65nm Chips?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MetalRampage

MetalRampage

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:13 PM

I'd like to know if it's worth waiting for the new 360s that supposedly have the 65nm chips inside. From what I can see on the forums, the newer dvd drives get locked? So maybe it'd be better to get one now before we have the whole locked issue. On the other hand the new ones will run a lot cooler, right? But you can also do mods to cool the system.... this is quite a dilemma for me. So... I guess is there any other advantage of the models to be released?

Thanks,
MR

#2 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:17 PM

theres nothing wrong with the 90nm technology, sure it runs a little hotter than the 65 will but the box's cooling is up to it. If you get a good one (which you probably will) you will be fine. The main reason MS is implementing these new chips is because it will cost them less..the cooler operation is a mere bonus.

Basically, if you want one, get one, use it for a couple month, if you have no problems then if your still worried you can always do some cooling mods. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another with the older technology if i accidentally destroyed mine.

#3 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:18 PM

Do you want an Xbox 360? if so... BUY ONE.

All consoles have their problems, sure the 65nm chips might run cooler but there are other complications that come along with that, Who knows what other problems might pop up with the new chips...

If you buy a console and it doesn't work you can send it back for a new one, if you're REALLY paranoid then get a service contract through the store as well. The time wasted waiting for it to be repaired will be much smaller then waiting for a console with a slightly reduced chance of problems.

#4 MetalRampage

MetalRampage

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:27 PM

Yeah, about my paranoia, if I do so open the box, as in to mod it, then that would render any warranty void. And I hear that they won't even fix for cost if the seal has been tampered with.

But you say the more recent xboxs don't tend to overheat that much?

#5 MetalRampage

MetalRampage

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:34 PM

Alright, whatever, I'll just get the damn thing and mod it, add those whisper fans and thermal compound if I think it's too hot.. I just don't want to see this thing fail on me.

Well, thanks for the info, and sorry to double post, I can't edit yet.

MR

#6 89c4l98

89c4l98

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:58 PM

As everyone else said if you want one buy it... Mod it and fix it if out of warranty.. No reason to wait

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users