Photo

Hardwiring Wireless Controller Dongles - Where's The Space?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 memepool

memepool

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:electronics hobbyist, swing dancing, web development, miscellaneous programming (php/sql/vb/etc)
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:53 PM

This past weekend, I started to hardwire a couple wireless controller dongles in my xbox. The wiring itself was fairly straightforward. I used a logitech and a pelican controller. The pelican dongle is fairly small, but the logitech dongle is massive. Now, one or two of em, I can handle, but I want to hardwire four of em. Can anyone tell me where to put them? The most spacious place seems to be below the dvd drive, but even that seems cramped, and I definitely don't have the room for four logitech dongles under there. Any help here?

On another note, I did come up with a simple circuit to trigger the relay when using a hardwired wireless controller dongle in conjunction with a hardwired dvd remote dongle if anyone's interested.

#2 jimbobjim

jimbobjim

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Interests:Sniffing farts under the covers.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:38 PM

Try snipping out a bit of your front heat shielding and mount them in the gaps you cut. Or you could put one in front of the gpu heatsink which is where i have mine. One will also fit between the ethernet and av socket. I'm assuming you've taken them out of their plastic housing and wrapped them in electrical tape to make them smaller.
Good luck

#3 memepool

memepool

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:electronics hobbyist, swing dancing, web development, miscellaneous programming (php/sql/vb/etc)

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE(jimbobjim @ Oct 3 2006, 11:45 AM) View Post

Try snipping out a bit of your front heat shielding and mount them in the gaps you cut. Or you could put one in front of the gpu heatsink which is where i have mine. One will also fit between the ethernet and av socket. I'm assuming you've taken them out of their plastic housing and wrapped them in electrical tape to make them smaller.
Good luck

ha!
Yes, of course I've taken them out of their plastic housing and wrapped them in electrical tape. The madcatz and pelican dongles are small enough, but I want to use Logitech controllers, and those are at least twice as big, and irregularly shaped. They're also too long to set vertically inside the xbox - even if it's behind the dvd drive.

#4 MickRaider

MickRaider

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts
  • Interests:I have no interests
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:45 PM

Some people take off the mem card thing so it's really flat then just rest it on top of the dvd drive.

#5 Zebes

Zebes

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:13 PM

yea, remove the memcard things and you *can* shave some of the pcb off, you could cut one of the "wings" off, the one the the attena is an as all that is there is grounded plating

#6 memepool

memepool

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE(Zebes @ Oct 3 2006, 02:20 PM) View Post

yea, remove the memcard things and you *can* shave some of the pcb off, you could cut one of the "wings" off, the one the the attena is an as all that is there is grounded plating

I forgot to mention that I did desolder the memory card sockets, and I soldered wires in their place and wired up usb receptacles in the place of the controller ports. I wasn't sure if I'd have room on top of the dvd drive. That's probably room for at least a couple of em. I think that'll just about do it. Thanks!

#7 crzyimage

crzyimage

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding, Computers

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:49 PM

you should go ahead and drill a small hole for the led looking thing so you will get better controller action time

#8 memepool

memepool

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE(crzyimage @ Oct 3 2006, 02:56 PM) View Post

you should go ahead and drill a small hole for the led looking thing so you will get better controller action time

I left out that part too. I drilled a couple holes for each port, actually. one for the LED, and one for a button. The problem with that was that I put them above the ports, which is interfering with the dvd drive from going all the way down, so I'll probably need to bondo the hole for the switch, and maybe bend the lead from the LED down so that the wires run under the ports. Also, the best looking pushbutton I could find at radioshack requires a 1/2" hole, and I'm not sure if there's quite enough room beside or below the port for that, so I'll probably need to pick up some smaller, more metallic switches and paint em flat black. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

wait... LED-looking thing? are you talking about the activity LED, or the pushbutton switch to synch w/ the controller? either way I've got both, but I'm not sure I understand how that improves the "controller action time"

Edited by memepool, 03 October 2006 - 09:32 PM.

#9 memepool

memepool

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE(crzyimage @ Oct 3 2006, 02:56 PM) View Post

Here's what I have so far. (click for larger image)
IPB Image

I just bought some bondo so I can patch up those holes and relocate the button a bit lower

#10 memepool

memepool

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE(MickRaider @ Oct 3 2006, 01:52 PM) View Post

Some people take off the mem card thing so it's really flat then just rest it on top of the dvd drive.

By the way, I recently tried this, and there's definitely not enough room up there for that unless you leave the top off the case, and that just looks ghetto (plus, I'm sure it's not good for airflow either)

#11 zetski210

zetski210

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE(jimbobjim @ Oct 4 2006, 01:45 AM) View Post

Try snipping out a bit of your front heat shielding and mount them.....

It's not heat sheilding, but rather EMC sheilding.

Anyway, does the Logitech run at 2.4GHz? I'm thinking about mounting two inside the case, but I want to mount some external antennas to improve the gain. Can any sections of the "U" shaped PCBs be removed, or is it all essential to the operation of them? If some of the circuitry is for the memory slots, then it might be able to be removed without affecting the wireless operation. I'll have to investigave further...

#12 memepool

memepool

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:43 PM

good point about the surrounding metal being RF sheilding. It hadn't occured to me that it might be dampening the signal. I'm still able to use them, but I might get better performance if I reroute the antennas. The "wing" that has the antenna on it can probably be removed, as it doesn't contain any circuitry. I don't think it's entirely necessary, but it's doable. I think the jewel is a good place to position an antenna. Do you think a special antenna should be used, or should you just reuse the antennas removed from the units?

#13 Zebes

Zebes

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:49 PM

@zetski
read my post ^^

#14 zetski210

zetski210

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:52 PM

Cool, so the size of the PCBs can be reduced.

The frequency is 2.4GHz (same as bluetooth and wireless networks) so if you connect a peice of coax cable (probably use RG174) from the PCB to an SMA connector mounted on the case you could then attach a small antenna to extend the range.
The antennas used in the controllers are not very good and only have a small gain. If you were to use something like these:
http://www.rf-links.com/antenna1.htm#1
you could probably get a lot more range.

If you just wanted to mount the one antenna, then maybe the jewel would be OK, but if the controller PCB is tucked behind the DVD drive, then you might not want to run the antenna cable too far inside. This might cause some interference.

#15 memepool

memepool

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 03:12 PM

I gave it a litte more thought and realized that mounting an antenna on the back similar to the ones zetski linked to, would be a better solution. I've got a broken wifi router that I might canibalize for just that.

I don't need much range at all - 10 or 15 feet at the most, but then again I would prefer to have a better engineered solution than the current one where the full board of the receiver along with the antenna is enclosed within an RF shield. I could mount those antennas on the outside, but a real antenna would look so much better.

Edited by memepool, 19 October 2006 - 03:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users