Photo

How To Override Internal Wireless Receiver?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Boydster

Boydster

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:14 AM

I recently internalized my Logitech wireless receiver and have come to find it would be best if I could somehow get normal controllers working in that slot again. The thing is hooked up in the 4th controller bay, so normal wired controllers no longer work there. I'd like to keep the wireless tidbit, but is there any way I can have it switch or override the wireless if a wired controller were plugged in?

#2 edwinmcdunlap

edwinmcdunlap

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:29 AM

It should work fine if you use this tutorial with the controller reciever instead of the DVD dongle.

#3 Barney_1

Barney_1

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:29 PM

Another alternative would be to use a 4 pole double throw switch (4pdt). Leave the black wires grounded, and use the switch for the red, green, blue, and yellow wires.

If you find a place to get 4pdt switches cheaply, please let me know. I need one for my DVD dongle.

#4 Geirskogul

Geirskogul

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:48 AM

QUOTE(Barney_1 @ Oct 4 2006, 11:36 PM) View Post

If you find a place to get 4pdt switches cheaply, please let me know. I need one for my DVD dongle.

Ebay is probably the best place for this. I don't see any super-cheap, but I do see them cheaper than at retail:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...;category=26211

#5 xbox modder 222

xbox modder 222

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:07 AM

u could just put a switch on the wireless red wire making the hardwired one work, b/c u can only have one device on a controller port at a time

#6 Boydster

Boydster

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:31 AM

I did it by melting the rubber off the original controller port wires and soldering the wireless thing to it. Soo... the port is still fully intact.

I'm assuming the red wire is for power? If I cut the power to the wireless receiver, it'd be invisible/not there, forcing the system to work completely normal with a wired controller?

Sounds easy. But will it work?

Edited by Boydster, 05 October 2006 - 03:31 AM.

#7 MikeFez

MikeFez

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:02 AM

Wait, so if you just attach the red wire from the wireless thing to the red one on the port, then to the xbox on every one it will work? So there will 3 wires to every color. That would work, as long as the keyboard and mouse is off they shouldn't interfere? Because I honestly dont feel like doing the relay one

Edited by MikeFez, 05 October 2006 - 04:02 AM.

#8 memepool

memepool

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:electronics hobbyist, swing dancing, web development, miscellaneous programming (php/sql/vb/etc)

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(Barney_1 @ Oct 4 2006, 06:36 PM) View Post

Another alternative would be to use a 4 pole double throw switch (4pdt). Leave the black wires grounded, and use the switch for the red, green, blue, and yellow wires.

wouldn't a 2pdt be adequate?
The yellow wire isn't used for anything in a standard controller, and the red wire is just +V, so your data is only on the green and white wires.

#9 Barney_1

Barney_1

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE(memepool @ Oct 5 2006, 11:00 AM) View Post

wouldn't a 2pdt be adequate?
The yellow wire isn't used for anything in a standard controller, and the red wire is just +V, so your data is only on the green and white wires.

You know, I'd like to know the answer to this question. Here's my thinking:

1. Black wires are common ground so the can be always attached.
2. Red, Green, Yellow (yes, I believe this is used; by the light gun), and Blue would all need to be switched. If they are not, then you could have interference from a dongle while using the controller port.

Is this thinking correct or is it possible just to use a switch for the positive power and leave the rest of a dongle attached while using a controller port?

#10 Boydster

Boydster

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(Boydster @ Oct 4 2006, 09:38 PM) View Post

I did it by melting the rubber off the original controller port wires and soldering the wireless thing to it. Soo... the port is still fully intact.

I'm assuming the red wire is for power? If I cut the power to the wireless receiver, it'd be invisible/not there, forcing the system to work completely normal with a wired controller?

Sounds easy. But will it work?

Eh?

Edited by Boydster, 07 October 2006 - 03:27 PM.

#11 esoum

esoum

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 07 October 2006 - 04:14 PM

Just put a normal switch on the ground of the wireless. Switch on = grounded, working. Switch off = not grounded, no electricity flow.

#12 Barney_1

Barney_1

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:12 AM

That's not a good idea. The case carries a common ground. Since the controller ports are encased in metal, and the metal touches the metal of the case, the port would short through that even though the switch for the ground wires was not engaged.

#13 Boydster

Boydster

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 10:15 PM

Can I put a switch on the red wire? I'm assuming that would be the same as having two hard drives hooked up and only having power going to one of em. It'll just ignore the wireless receiver.

Keep in mind the port is still fully intact. The wireless receiver is just hitchin a ride on the 'de-rubbered' port wire.

#14 crystalgeek

crystalgeek

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Electronics and anything I can undo with a screwdriver

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:01 PM

I think your best bet would be to splice all the wires together, from the controller port and the wireless reciever, then atach a relay anything from 2pole or spdt iwill work all you should need to do is switch one wire.

Theres a diagram and few cxomments in my relay post in my sig. i use it for reference.

Edited by crystalgeek, 09 October 2006 - 08:07 PM.

#15 Boydster

Boydster

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:41 PM

Will my way work? Will my way damage anything? Still haven't heard anything in regard to the plan I suggested...

Please help me out here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users